Remove this Banner Ad

richo68

Rookie
Jan 25, 2004
out in the sticks
Other Teams
hawthorn
Tennace cannot be traded this year..as he was drafted last year
All NEW draftees to the system are given 2 year contracts....and cannot be traded in that time.
This law was introduced a few years back.
So the young players are protected, and the club is also procted having 2 years with these new young players.
ie Cooney,Tennace,Ray or any young player must serve their 2 year contract with the club that drafted them......
So Tennace to Collingwood..cant happen!

I'm not 100% sure, but I thought the rule was that the player had a 2 year contract, but if club and player agreed he could be delisted/traded.

What would happen if a guy decided to give up AFL and walk away after 1 season. Does that mean that the club would be forced to go in to the following season 1 player short?

Rob Kerr was on SEN this afternoon to confirm that there's nothing to stop a trade involving any contracted player, including a kid in their first 2 year contract, so Tenace is as available as any other player with a contract, i.e. if the player and club agree to it.

Interestingly, Kerr added that the so-called "Heffernan rule" never actually came in, so a player just signed can also be traded if they and the club agree to it.

fusion said:
I'm not 100% sure, but I thought the rule was that the player had a 2 year contract, but if club and player agreed he could be delisted/traded.

What would happen if a guy decided to give up AFL and walk away after 1 season. Does that mean that the club would be forced to go in to the following season 1 player short?

No.
Plenty of players retire while still under contract, for example Mercuri this year retired while still having one year to run on his contract.
A retied player is not part of the teams list, and if taht situation occured, they can replace him with someone else.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You can get traded as a 2nd year player. The only rule regarding that is 17 year olds who get drafted have to have 2 year deals.

The rules are:

10.3 When a first year draft choice Player is first listed by an AFL Club, that Player and the AFL Club shall enter into a playing contract for a minimum term of two years except in the case of a Player who has previously been listed as a Rookie at any AFL Club.

18.6 Save and except where in the opinion of the General Manager –
Football Operations, there are exceptional and compelling circumstances that make it harsh and unconscionable for a Player not to be exchanged, no AFL Club shall exchange any Player who has not completed at least one AFL Season under his current contract with the AFL Club.

jezza said:
He can, if the afl agree to it.

Spot on, it can happen as long as the rest of the contract is seen out, eg L.Veale this year being delisted after being in the AFL for 2 years with two different clubs

considering he's supported collingwood his whole life if geelong said we're trading you to the pies for pick 7 i doubt he'll be shedding to many tears, unless he gets a paper cut trying to sign the paperwork to quickly

super4 said:
Spot on, it can happen as long as the rest of the contract is seen out, eg L.Veale this year being delisted after being in the AFL for 2 years with two different clubs

Yes very true he must agree

richo68 said:
Tennace cannot be traded this year..as he was drafted last year
All NEW draftees to the system are given 2 year contracts....and cannot be traded in that time.
This law was introduced a few years back.
So the young players are protected, and the club is also procted having 2 years with these new young players.
ie Cooney,Tennace,Ray or any young player must serve their 2 year contract with the club that drafted them......
So Tennace to Collingwood..cant happen!

That is untrue.....
There was no law introduced, the AFLPA & the AFL decided not to change the rule.
Tenace can be traded if the club wants to, or if he wants to.
There is nothing against it.
The only time he could not be traded is during his 1st season, so as his 1st season is over, he is up for grabs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Tennace cannot be traded

Remove this Banner Ad

Back