Player Watch Tew Jiath

Remove this Banner Ad

Dustin Fletcher was playing on Dunstall, Ablett, Lockett and co as a 19, 20yo bean pole. If his role is an intercepting, rebounding defender then bulk isn’t really a priority. Im not saying he’s ready but I don’t think his physical size is going to be the main thing holding him back from senior footy. Just my thoughts
I agree, because his slender physique is genetic in origin.

Tew Jiath won't feature much at AFL level this year. He's played very limited minutes against men and had a mixed game in practice. Got some skills to like but he's nowhere near ready to be thrown in the deep-end. If he's playing off half-back, there are others ahead of him.

I think he was always a development prospect. I don't think anyone expects that he will debut this season. He certainly looks like he has plenty of natural athletic ability and he probably will never develop a huge rig but he will certainly need some time for development. He will be one to watch with interest...

Looked very Promising in the VFL yesterday Afternoon.

Use the Ball Very Well. Looked Clean with the Ball. Good Pace

Played similar to Howe but without the Hangers

Not a 1v1 defender yet

Looked very Promising in the VFL yesterday Afternoon.

Use the Ball Very Well. Looked Clean with the Ball. Good Pace

Played similar to Howe but without the Hangers

Not a 1v1 defender yet
No, he’s not ready yet. Still very raw. Has some good skills but needs more, also needs strength in his muscles. If Dean looked average at best, TJ is no better. As you say, no one-on-one at this stage.

This kid is listed at 188cm on the official site, but I was at the game today and he looked taller. I think someone on here mentioned he had grown and I would believe that. Reckon he's already looking stronger as well. Was quiet at times during the game but what he did do looked AFL level. :thumbsu:
He looked good from the bits of play I watched.

Hopefully his height follows the Nathan Murphy trajectory from his earlier years.

The hype over pre-season was ridiculous. He looks average, nothing that screams elite, nothing that screams delist. Will need a few years to develop. Won't be making a debut this year.
I think your assessment of a 19 year old into his first pre-season at an AFL club is ridiculous.

From what I have seen & others on here have mentioned, he looks very composed, athletic, reads the ball well & shows lots of promise for the future.

I think your assessment of a 19 year old into his first pre-season at an AFL club is ridiculous.

From what I have seen & others on here have mentioned, he looks very composed, athletic, reads the ball well & shows lots of promise for the future.
Well usually I'm criticised for being too optimistic.

The thing with Tew is that while he has some nice skills, they're not standout. The hype he'd be debuting is what I'm criticising. He's some time off that. He has a good skill set and that's it.

The hype over pre-season was ridiculous. He looks average, nothing that screams elite, nothing that screams delist. Will need a few years to develop. Won't be making a debut this year.

This isn’t the Poulter thread.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The thing with Tew is that while he has some nice skills, they're not standout. The hype he'd be debuting is what I'm criticising. He's some time off that. He has a good skill set and that's it.
I didn't read this hype that suggested his time was now, but also wouldn't rule out a debut later in the year. Promising talented kid who is a long way from being physically developed - let alone the rest of his game

I would never criticise you for being too optimistic Kinder. I haven't seen any evidence of that on here in all your incarnations.

He's 19. One pre-season. What he has shown is composure, good skills & athleticsm. All handy as a defender.

When he debuts is anyone's guess, but he's a young kid we're developing for our future.

You usually have some pretty good takes but this one isn't it

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I’ll change what I was saying and make it clearer.

I watched training not long after I posted that and did find the teeth chewing the tongue. Tew does position himself well for the ball. Maybe not so good at taking the game on but that will come. At VFL, he’s mixed which is to be expected for a rookie.

I don’t think we’ll see a debut but that’s not because he won’t make it, more because I think he needs some time to develop his game so he can succeed.

I watched training not long after I posted that and did find the teeth chewing the tongue. Tew does position himself well for the ball. Maybe not so good at taking the game on but that will come. At VFL, he’s mixed which is to be expected for a rookie.

I don’t think we’ll see a debut but that’s not because he won’t make it, more because I think he needs some time to develop his game so he can succeed.
Well yeah. He's a young kid who needs developing. And that's precisely what's happening.

Well yeah. He's a young kid who needs developing. And that's precisely what's happening.
And it looks like he has a nice base to build on. He could develop into quite the player after a few years in the system, being around this club and how they go about things.

He's played one game of VFL

I watched a game of AFL last week - Moore is mixed. Sidey is s**t. Mitchell is hopeless. JDG and Naicos don't get near the footy. Crisp is a dud who won't make it ...

You don't have to jump to a conclusion straight away.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back