List Mgmt. Thanks Hendo

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I suspect that there’s more going on off field for him personally that forced his hand
Hopefully whatever it is is short term and he can carry on life as normal.

A great career for him and us and many thanks for everything Hendo.

GO Catters

Wheels fell off towards the end, for whatever reason, otherwise a solid hit out in his last few years. Did his job..
Time for Dahlmouse to get the message and do the same..

And with that, our long line of experienced, reliable KPDs comes to an end. Though the time is right for him to go, it leaves a sizeable hole in the defence.

I thought Henderson was good for us down back and a little unfairly treated by the club and, at times, supporters on here too. Generally played his role down back effectively, played some poor finals games when pushed up forward to cover absences and ridiculed for that. Then kept out of the side while we played poorer options down back, and unceremoniously delisted and rookied him, only to find he could still in fact play his back role to a high standard when allowed to do it. Couldn't believe we were delisting the guy while bringing broken, issue-plagued guys like Steven and Higgins in. Great 2020 and good first half of 2021, but very much looked done by the end. Now is the right time to go out, and it's great he could do it on his term now and go out as a fixture of the side.

I do mention form in that post. Not just age
Higgins was dropped. Hendo wasnt.

That part i agree with just not the age part. Some players in their 30s are still playing better than half the side (see isaac smith) so it should be merit not aged based.

It sounds like its likely higgins will play on but dahlhaus not so certain.

I don't know if I'd go that far. We paid p17 for him, that is a reasonably high price for 80-odd games.

Its at least a break even given our draft history with picks in the 10-20 range in the last 10 years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't know if I'd go that far. We paid p17 for him, that is a reasonably high price for 80-odd games.
Pick 17 in the draft averages 72 AFL games.

Pick 17 in the draft averages 72 AFL games.
Historically would have put him in the top 30 percentile for that pick range
I don't think history is a good reflection of what you would expect for a pick 17 now. Partially because it gives equal weight to the first ten to fifteen years of the draft, which were more of a crapshoot owing to the comparative lack of investment in talent identification that we have now. Partially because players who were picked in the last ten years - and still have live careers - will be counted as dragging that number down, not up.

I think the better guide is to look at the ten choices that were taken in that draft from p17 (not including academy and f/s):
Jarrod Berry, Sam Powell-Pepper, Tim English, Will Hayward, Jordan Ridley, Alex Witherden, Cedric Cox, Ben Long, Brandan Parfitt, Zac Fisher.

You'll probably get 200 games out of seven of those players, and only Cedric Cox is not on a list any more AFAIK.

Surprise surprise. Confirmation bias is a powerful drug.
Haha, I am open to the idea that I am not impartial but in this case you wouldn’t expect the same from a late-80s pick 17 as you would from a mid-2010s pick 17.

I mean, it took us 15 years to get a genuine star taken at pick one (Riewoldt). Since then, IMO early picks have performed markedly better.

Haha, I am open to the idea that I am not impartial but in this case you wouldn’t expect the same from a late-80s pick 17 as you would from a mid-2010s pick 17.

I mean, it took us 15 years to get a genuine star taken at pick one (Riewoldt). Since then, IMO early picks have performed markedly better.

But during this period our picks between 10 and 20 have been harry taylor, mitch brown, menzel, smedts, thurlow, lang, cockatoo and now clark stephens and de knoning.

Apart from the ones since 2018 (too early to call) only taylor played more games for us than hendo did. So i think you are overrating the probability of a pick in that range not being a bust.

Apart from the ones since 2018 (too early to call) only taylor played more games for us than hendo did. So i think you are overrating the probability of a pick in that range not being a bust.
Admittedly we have had atrocious luck with injuries there. Menzel, Brown, Thurlow and Cockatoo absolutely ruined by injury. Lang and Smedts were absolute busts though.

Admittedly we have had atrocious luck with injuries there. Menzel, Brown, Thurlow and Cockatoo absolutely ruined by injury. Lang and Smedts were absolute busts though.

I agree injuries have played their part. But in relatin to your idea that a first round pick is much more likely to be a star than it was 20 years ago..yes talent ID is better than it was but this example shows its still a real lottery and theres every chance of a first round pick being a bust.

This I certainly agree with, especially for a pick between 15 and 20.

Which is why trading picks in that range is not a bad idea (for the right player).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back