Toast Thanks Stuv

Remove this Banner Ad

Hes been a great player for us . I wish him all the best for his footy and his personal life . What a great guy .

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Both my boys have number 3 on the back of their Saints jumpers. Nothing but love for you Jack. Wishing you and your family health and happiness. Thanks for being a great St Kilda player.

Wishing Jack all the best, first and foremost with his battle with depression and secondly with his football at Geelong.

Having said that, I cannot get my head around the fact that Geelong have absolutely taken advantage of the saints in this situation. The saints have been outstanding on looking after Jack (and rightly so) only for Geelong to basically say your not worth anything more than a late 3 round pick!
If he is fit and well next year he will finish in the top 4 in their B&F, no doubt.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you'd left last year you would have broken me. In hindsight I would have survived.

Sorry we were too selfish to listen to what YOU wanted after giving us everything you had. You deserved better.

Hope you can return to your best and go out on top.

May life be kind to you Jack and may your lovelife be fulfilling. ✊

I feel like us letting him go tear us (and the rest of the comp) up for the next 4 years with zero compensation was thanks enough from all of us.

No blame attributed, and I'm glad he's no longer in such a bad mental spot.

But he's been thanked by the club (and by extension their forever suffering supporters) more than enough by the manner in which we let him go.

If he plays a single game outside GMHBA stadium during his time with the Cats then the club got dudded. I was over the moon with pretty much everything we did during trade week, but letting Steven walk out on the last year of his deal was just piss poor management.

We may get very lucky that Ryan Byrnes fell so far in the draft but pre-draft it was a ****ing terrible deal for us.

If he plays a single game outside GMHBA stadium during his time with the Cats then the club got dudded. I was over the moon with pretty much everything we did during trade week, but letting Steven walk out on the last year of his deal was just piss poor management.

We may get very lucky that Ryan Byrnes fell so far in the draft but pre-draft it was a ******* terrible deal for us.
Mate, he'll be playing games outside Geelong. What's done is done, there's very little we could do. We may have actually been happy to get him off our list.

Mate, he'll be playing games outside Geelong. What's done is done, there's very little we could do. We may have actually been happy to get him off our list.

Oh I'm absolutely certain he will play games outside of Geelong.

He knew he would. We knew he would. Geelong knew he would.

Still the story went out that it wasn't possible for him to function outside of Geelong and that the only thing that could be done was to be on the list of the team that finished top of the ladder last year AND that we had to accept peanuts to allow that to happen.

If there wasn't anyway of keeping him at the club then we should have stood our ground and pushed for more compensation or tell Steven to retire and play for Lara.

No ill feelings for the Cats. They played it beautifully. Steven can **** right off.

1577930602163.png

We may get very lucky that Ryan Byrnes fell so far in the draft but pre-draft it was a ******* terrible deal for us.

Pretty confident we got a steal in Byrnes ....more disappointed we lost Acres to be honest.

Think it was pretty pragmatic by the club , given salary cap these days .

Peakey tells me he's in great shape. Training well. We gave them a bargain.

My objective view is that his conditioning and mental state ensured we had no choice but to provide a bargain, or look like we were undermining said mental health issues.

Forcing him to retire and play for Lara for 12 months would have been deemed very disturbing by the league and AFLPA, much as it was tempting.

His performance vs Fremantle was outstanding, but clearly took everything he had, and the final two games of the season showed he was gassed, so I can certainly understand why Geelong played up his issues, and downplayed his long-term value. He'll be under significant pressure to put in huge work, and maintain his fitness, unless he wants to be finishing his career as a depth player in Geelong's VFL team.

FWIW, I don't see the Geelong lineup significantly improving his chances for a flag ... and I'm pretty sure their persistent September flameouts don't do much for the mental health of fans or players ... much easier to accept you're playing for a team which "isn't there yet", than to have the weight of expectation that Geelong have every year as a club which is supposed to be a "genuine contender". I don't think a 30yo Stuv is going to cover the loss of Kelly, who, in his 3rd year, motivated at the club he wants to be with, could literally do anything.

I, for one, will be interested to see how it plays out ... and how both teams have evolved by the Round 22 game ... personally, my money is on significant development by the Saints across the course of the season, regardless of ladder position, while Geelong's aging stars are running on fumes as September nears.

Bish

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Thanks Stuv

Remove this Banner Ad

Back