Mod. Notice The 2015 Didaka Poster Award - see post #32 for this year's winner!!

Remove this Banner Ad

shawthing09

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 17, 2007
melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Earlier this year we were all touched by the passing of Didaka. Didaka was was a respected and valued member of our community but also a highly inspirational and respected poster across the whole of Bigfooty.

ODN offered his support and an idea on how we could honor him. The idea simple that a panel of Carlton posters and mods would judge and award for the best Collingwood poster in the lead up to the Collingwood home game vs Carlton each year. Seeing as we felt it would be to long to wait we are awarding it this week, then for the Collingwood home game vs Carlton each year after.

We embraced this idea, as we feel it highlights that some things transcend football and rivalries can also be built on respect. It was decided that an award in which we, their most fierce rival, look for quality posting from Collingwood posters in the week leading up to our next clash, and annually thereafter.

Didaka was known for being articulate, passionate and constructive in his opinions, so an award for a fellow Collingwood supporter who displays these same attributes, might be considered an honour.

The Carlton board have set up a panel of mods and respected posters who will take nominations and then decide on the winner. The winner will be awarded a Bigfooty badge (similar to the player sponsor badge, with Didaka and the year won.) A thread will be kept with a history of the winners.

We feel this award is fitting as the last game Didaka was able to attend was a win over our greatest rivals. This is a good way for us to remember and pay tribute to a much loved part of our Bigfooty community.

The fact that this is an award set up by the Carlton mods shows how well respected Didaka was across the site and that some things are more important than footy. We also hope it will serve to foster a sense of unity in the wider BigFooty community.

Of course, rivalry is rivalry and no doubt we will all let each know about it and neither of us would have it any other way.

To read Didaka's story, please take a look here:
http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=455565

Also take a look at the work done by the Peter MacCullum Cancer Centre, and support the cause if possible.
http://www.petermac.org/

Good luck in your posting.

Re: The 2011 Didaka Poster Award

I think this is a great way to remember didakas contribution to this board and BigFooty in general. And it provides a way to honour his memory in perpetuity. So get out there, post on the Carlton Board, post on the main board, be constructive and help keep didakas memory strong and his story remembered.

Thanks Shawthing.

This is really a way to recognise quality as befitting the quality that didaka always showed in his posting. I am happy for anybody to point out any worthy candidates during the week leading up to our clash.

Re: The Didaka Medal - 2011 BigFooty Magpies MVP

Isn't this the thread where we're supposed to nominate Pies posters for the Didaka Medal?

If so, I'm putting in nominations for dooley63 and mattys123 (I think that's their names) for being able to discuss the rivalry between Collingwood and Carlton in a civil manner, while providing interesting points of conversation, and they can also admit that their team isn't perfect all the time.

They really have stood out so far as being above the sort of posters (from every teams boards) who are so dumb, arrogant and up-themselves like "you stoopid yo our team is da best and will crush ur team and all our players will finish equal first in da Brownlow and one of our guys will win da Coleman yo and be all ova dat sh*t cause we da best and every ova team is really sh*t".

Re: The Didaka Medal - 2011 BigFooty Magpies MVP

Well we had a few conversations and a few names put forward this week.

The most important thing to me was that this remain a purely Collingwood thing, and not just a Carlton person sitting in judgment on whoever was nicest to Carlton over the course of the week.

The following poster engaged in several topics, was not afraid to go against the grain when debating Collingwood or Carlton related issues, but did so in a manner that created discussion and showed respect.

The inaugaral winner of the Didaka Award and the first recipient of the Didaka badge is:

Gone Critical

Congratulations Gone Critical, I am sure Didaka would be proud of the way you stayed true to your team, but still respected those around you.

Your badge will be added as soon as Chief adds it and you get to keep it until the second time our two teams clash next year. After that, it will be handed on to somebody else and a thread created to record past winners.

:thumbsu:

Have to go along with ODN's elequent statement.

Loving football goes beyond the love of just your own team as for your examples on our board.
I didn't vote for you mate, but your objectiveness is always welcome even if we may not necessarily like what you may have to say.

For that I applaud you for being the worthy recipient of the inaugral Didaka Award.

Cheers to you and to all of our, dear Brent. :thumbsu:

Have to go along with ODN's elequent statement.

Loving football goes beyond the love of just your own team as for your examples on our board.
I didn't vote for you mate, but your objectiveness is always welcome even if we may not necessarily like what you may have to say.

For that I applaud you for being the worthy recipient of the inaugral Didaka Award.
Thanks to ODN for being the driving force behind this and all Carlton guys who voted, and thanks also Harker for your words.

Congrats Gone Critical, you were an outstanding choice and I completely agree that your posting quality is a level to aspire to :thumbsu:

Congrats Gone Critical, a worthy winner. Displays balance and reason even in the face of being called a troll. Great poster.:thumbsu:

Gratz to Gone Critical, it's no shock he would be noticed for his posting, he is clearly one of the most level headed and intelligent posters on this board, if not the whole of Bigfooty.:thumbsu:

Where's the trophy?:p:D

Where's the trophy?:p:D

Waiting for him to post so I can see if the badge has been added yet. If not, it is just a matter of time as Chief has made it up and the request to add it has been sent.

Gratz to Gone Critical, it's no shock he would be noticed for his posting, he is clearly one of the most level headed and intelligent posters on this board, if not the whole of Bigfooty.:thumbsu:

Not to mention one of the best user names.

I'd go and see a Hollywood movie on the strength of that name alone.
Minority Report, Adjustment Bureau, Shawshank Redemption, Gone Critical. Same family.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wow

Sorry i have been slow to post here but didn't realize this award existed until read about it on Carlton board today. Sorry Quicky missed your message to me also

So apologize being late posting here. It was not intentional.

Great initiative by the Carlton mods as its very important we remember Didaka who made such a contribution to these boards. Rather than take this as anything personal I am happy to be involved to start the ball rolling in an ongoing tribute to Didaka that will live on. This could be seen as a general acknowledgement to the fierce but constructive posting that Carlton and Collinwood rivalries should be the benchmark for

I happily say I hate Carlton with a passion that is unsurpassed but I respect them also. I dont hate Carlton supporters, well not all the time anyway. Its going to the footy with my Carlton mates that makes for the greatest and worst of days. I had far too many of those ba-***** to contend with in 79 and 81. Being one of 6 boys where the oldest deserted for Carlton about 1969 and the rest of us were mad Magpies with the old man meant I had to put up with one in my own household. Siting with him at the 1970 GF as a 10 yo was hell. Fortunately I have 3 sons who were educated properly

Didaka was a great poster no more so in the way he communicated the positive way he fought his biggest battle. He taught us all a bit of perspective. Its hard to know someone fully via the net but his strength of character and bravery shone through clearly in his writing as did his love of the Black and White

So here is to the continuation of a great rivalry and passionate and balanced posting between us all. Remembering how Didaka approached these boards and his life provides an ongoing tribute and an incentive to maintain the standards he was known for.

Hope wherever you are Didaka the sun is shining. Vale

The 2012 Didaka Poster award has been run and won.

As we know Gone Critical won it last year and due to the timing of things, it was awarded in time for our second fixture which was a Carlton home game.

At first we decided to keep it as the Carlton home game, but that will continue to have inconsistencies as the home games switch from earlier to later in the year, and heaven forbid the draw inequalities people complain about and we only get one game vs you guys down the track. So if we just award it for the first encounter regardless of who the home team is, the winner will get to carry the badge during the year in which they won it.

Apologies to Gone Critical who got shortchanged due to timing and being the first year and all.

We have taken nominations from some Carlton posters, had a chat on the mods board, and had a look at who the active posters were during the build up to our game and over the weekend immediately after. Some quality posters were quiet during that week or had not been posting much on our game or football matters in general.

The following poster was gracious in defeat, was observed to be supportive of their own team's players after the game, was observed during the week to be fair and even handed when assessing other team's players on the main board during the week, was even fairly articulate during a visit to the Bay and apparently is a DreamTeam star.

The winner of the 2012 Didaka poster award is:

entourage

Congratulations to entourage. You had a really good week. Supported your team, contributed to BF as a whole, were lighthearted and articulate, and by and large encapsulated many of the qualities of didaka as a poster.

Entourage, you will receive your didaka badge in due course. We will make it so clicking on the badge takes us back to this thread so people can see what it is all about, and also recognise previous winners.

* Pies mods, can you change the title to the Didaka Poster Award and refer to the 2012 announcement in this post number? The OP explanation is too good to have to start another thread.

Congrats entourage. Well earned.

Good luck to you and your team. I do hope that your team turns it around - I've never seen as soft a Collingwood performance in all of the years watching VFL/AFL football including the years when you simply didn't have the cattle out there to be competitive. They're far too good to be putting in efforts like that. Still a tad in shock about it all really.

Re: The 2012 Didaka Poster Award

Wow, thanks guys-I feel slightly ashamed to not have known what this award was all about until just now, but I do genuinely feel honoured now that I have received the didaka award.
I must say, the story of didaka and the medal reeks of irony for me. Apologies to digress, but I have had a significant loss recently and it was an ongoing saga since October last year. He was my absolute best friend and just a terrific bloke (and Collingwood supporter). The last game he and I went together to was the first Collingwood/Carlton game last year. Didn't even get a seat, was running around the ground all night to get the best view, but it was and always will be my favourite game of football.

So, for that reason, this truly means double as much to me.

Thanks to everyone involved:thumbsu:

Re: The 2012 Didaka Poster Award

Well done entourage - to be recognised above all our other quality posters is a really good achievement and didaka would be feeling very proud of you i'm sure.

PS very sorry to hear about your mate.

Thanks to ODN and the other Carlton mods, and posters who voted for their time involved in this.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back