The 2nd "What are you reading now" thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Reading a fantastic (non-fiction) book atm called 'Fooled by Randomness: The Hidden Role of Chance in Life and the Markets' by Nassim Nicholas Taleb - it's a fairly easy read but he covers a lot of ground and it's rare for a book that takes a lot of its inspiration from the world of finance to change the way you see the world but Taleb manages to weave together almost seamlessly discussions about behavioural psychology, probability and philosophy all with the markets as a backdrop.

I recently finished 'On The Road' and I loved the spontaneous prose/stream of consciousness style of writing even though the plot is a bit of a shambles really.

If I can fit it in on the train, have been reading intermittently short stories from 'Tales of the Unexpected' by Roald Dahl. His adult writing is similar to his children's writing but with darker subject matter.

Reading a fantastic (non-fiction) book atm called 'Fooled by Randomness: The Hidden Role of Chance in Life and the Markets' by Nassim Nicholas Taleb - it's a fairly easy read but he covers a lot of ground and it's rare for a book that takes a lot of its inspiration from the world of finance to change the way you see the world but Taleb manages to weave together almost seamlessly discussions about behavioural psychology, probability and philosophy all with the markets as a backdrop.

I recently finished 'On The Road' and I loved the spontaneous prose/stream of consciousness style of writing even though the plot is a bit of a shambles really.

If I can fit it in on the train, have been reading intermittently short stories from 'Tales of the Unexpected' by Roald Dahl. His adult writing is similar to his children's writing but with darker subject matter.

Few people in this thread have read 'On The Road' recently, myself included, I suspect people are taking advantage of the $10 Penguin classics?

I loved 'The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar and Six More' when I was a bit younger, if you enjoy the short stories of Dahl's you are reading now give it a go.

I've been studying for exams so I haven't picked up anything lately, I received 'Perfume' (another of the Penguin orange classics) as a present recently, anyone read it/recommend it?

They loved it on First Tuesday Book Club. Wouldn't shut up about how great it is.

What do you think of The Mayor of Casterbridge? It was one of those novels - like Frankenstein - where I wanted to grab the protagonist by the collar and shake some sense into him.

It is a good read.

It is just so frustrating. His stubborness always leads to more future heartache. You just feel like one lucky break will set him back on a positive path, but you just know he will not get it.

About two-thirds of the way through Blood Meridian. I'm sure there are dozens of literary references that are going over my head, and I get sent to the dictionary at least once every page, but it's a helluva book :thumbsu:

Next on my bookrack is Bukowski's Pulp.

Few people in this thread have read 'On The Road' recently, myself included, I suspect people are taking advantage of the $10 Penguin classics?

I loved 'The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar and Six More' when I was a bit younger, if you enjoy the short stories of Dahl's you are reading now give it a go.

I've been studying for exams so I haven't picked up anything lately, I received 'Perfume' (another of the Penguin orange classics) as a present recently, anyone read it/recommend it?

$10 classics are the best!!

I remember Henry Sugar too, a fair while ago now, may be time for a re-read...

I thought 'Perfume' was brilliant. It's a novel almost entirely about scent, so it's quite risky in that it relies heavily on descriptions and images to capture the smells, but you just have to read it.

Marley and Me by John Grogan. I must be turning into a big softie because this is a nice, sweet story. Can someone explain to me the proliferation of vampire romance novels that Twilight has started? It seems any woman under the age of 30 can't get enough of them. I've read a few pages of one Twilight copycat over the gf's shoulder and I fail to see what the attraction is.

Started readin Ice Station by Matthew Reilly. I know his books are a bit over the top and somehow the main character lives no matter what comes at him but I think there good fun reading. Oddly Ice station is the only one of his books I havent read despite it being the first in the Scarecrow series

Marley and Me by John Grogan. I must be turning into a big softie because this is a nice, sweet story. Can someone explain to me the proliferation of vampire romance novels that Twilight has started? It seems any woman under the age of 30 can't get enough of them. I've read a few pages of one Twilight copycat over the gf's shoulder and I fail to see what the attraction is.

a) Break up with your girlfriend, now.

b) Stephanie Myers is a horrible writer, but she writes like a stupid teenage girl. Teenage girls are also generally a bit obsessive when it comes to guys, just like Bella, or the way Edward is with her (stalker!). There is no real character development - it's very easy for girls to insert themselves into the story. And of course there's no thinking required - what more could you want?

Careful when you say any woman under 30. :( I haven't read them myself, no plans to, but I've read plenty about them on another forum I frequent. Like a thread that goes for over 50 pages (tearing the book apart, not in support of it). I also read a couple of excerpts to see if the writing was as bad as I was hearing. Oh my, was it bad. I thought I was reading a spoof website until I realised I really was reading a part of the book! Also, the book should be called "how not to use a thesaurus". It would seem Stephanie Myers is certainly a fan of hers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Started readin Ice Station by Matthew Reilly. I know his books are a bit over the top and somehow the main character lives no matter what comes at him but I think there good fun reading. Oddly Ice station is the only one of his books I havent read despite it being the first in the Scarecrow series
Agree, I have read a few of his books and although their not the most technical or realistic things you'll get your hands on they are still fun to read, enjoyed Ice Station and Scarecrow, both real page turners.

b) Stephanie Myers is a horrible writer, but she writes like a stupid teenage girl. Teenage girls are also generally a bit obsessive when it comes to guys, just like Bella, or the way Edward is with her (stalker!). There is no real character development - it's very easy for girls to insert themselves into the story. And of course there's no thinking required - what more could you want?

Careful when you say any woman under 30. :( I haven't read them myself, no plans to, but I've read plenty about them on another forum I frequent. Like a thread that goes for over 50 pages (tearing the book apart, not in support of it). I also read a couple of excerpts to see if the writing was as bad as I was hearing. Oh my, was it bad. I thought I was reading a spoof website until I realised I really was reading a part of the book! Also, the book should be called "how not to use a thesaurus". It would seem Stephanie Myers is certainly a fan of hers.

I'll stick with the gf even if she is a Collingwood supporter! LOL
I've read bits and pieces as I said of those books and the language is very simple and the dialogue didn't set my heart on fire. Meyer knows what her audience wants, even if she isn't the world's greatest writer. It saddens me people like her and Matthew Reilly are best sellers.

Recently finished all 11 released Wheel of Time books after first beginning them in November of 07 (slow reader :eek:).

Reading book six of the Artemis Fowl series which I was reading before starting WOT (back in year 12).

Have a few books on the shelf that I haven't read, including Frankenstein, A Song of Ice and Fire and The Count of Monte Cristo and The Three Musketeers. Will probably read the Dumas books first.

Not very keen on reading ASOIAF at the moment due to being unsure if the series will ever be finished. Might go out and read the three Hobb trilogies instead.

ditto the under 30 bit - I knew to stay away from those books, and no plans to ever pick one up -

I'm reading "A farewell to Arms" - my first Hemmingway - :thumbsu:

I'll stick with the gf even if she is a Collingwood supporter! LOL

Oh my, she must really be good in bed ;)

Meyer knows what her audience wants, even if she isn't the world's greatest writer. It saddens me people like her and Matthew Reilly are best sellers.

You know, I don't think Meyer does know what her audience wants. I think her intended audience was adults, and she just wasn't aware of how appalling her writing is - so bad that it could only appeal to children/teenagers/stupid people.

Anyway...

I'm still going on Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides. I was barely reading it to begin with, after weeks I hadn't gotten far, was just distracted. However now I'm really getting into it, not much to go...now comes the big task of picking what's next!

Remove this Banner Ad

The 2nd "What are you reading now" thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back