The 2nd "What are you reading now" thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Currently making some headway through "The Angel's Game" by Carlos Ruiz Zafon. Highly recommended. Is the prequel to his earlier work "The shadow of the wind" which I also highly recommend.

Just read

book_90.jpg

Fevre Dream - GRR Martin

Reading the Ben Cousins book at the moment. Pretty light reading, should be finished soon. After that, I might read "Curious & Curiouser" - the new Dr Karl Kruszelnicki book.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just finished the Ben Cousins book, it was a much better read than I expected. He really laid it all out, gave plenty of extra details that weren't in the doco. It was good to read about his view of events, vs. what we were fed from the media.

I'm pretty heavily into true crime books, especially autobiographical ones, so this morning I started the new Chopper Read book, "One Thing Lead To Another - The Real Story". I'm about 50 pages in so far. He's not really a very good writer, but his story kind of tells itself. In the first chapter he talks of shooting Sid Collins, then driving him to the hospital, yet in Chopper II he straight out denies shooting Collins. Now that he's been given something like 5 years to live, it seems as if he's going to be a bit straighter than his previous works, and not follow his usual "don't let the truth get in the way of a good yarn" attitude. Looking forward to the rest of it, but I might read a real novel for my next book - I've had "War & Peace" waiting on my book shelf for 6 months now.

Line of Vision by David Ellis - Some pulp fiction rubbish that my sister gave me for Christmas. It's actually not too bad a read. My mum gave me a book All the Days and Nights: The Collected Stories by William Maxwell which I will start reading after that.

Kobo Abe is fantastic. If you like it, check out the short story collection "Beyond the Curve" - his short stories are even stronger than his novels.

Curious though - why did you pick it?
I picked up The Face of Another ages ago and quite enjoyed it but I don't normally like 'binge-ing' on an author and with his writing style I felt the issue would become even more pronounced.

Just bought The of Another and Woman on DVD to match the book purchases. Heard they were both fantastic as the books were.

Remove this Banner Ad

The 2nd "What are you reading now" thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back