The 2nd "What are you reading now" thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Just finished reading The Shifting Fog, by Kate Morton. Incredible story, I expected it would take me weeks to finish due to the size of it, took me just over a week I think, I couldn't put it down.

If you enjoyed watching "Downton Abbey" then Morton is right up your alley. All three of her novels well structured and with memorable storylines and characters. Well worth a read.

If you enjoyed watching "Downton Abbey" then Morton is right up your alley. All three of her novels well structured and with memorable storylines and characters. Well worth a read.

Thanks TBT, I did enjoy Downton Abbey as well. I think I'll give The Distant Hours a go next.

I finished "The Day Of The Triffids" the other day. I don't normally go for sci-fi books, but I really enjoyed it. It probably helps that I'm playing Fallout New Vegas on ps3 at the moment, so I'm fairly into the post-apocalyptic thing at the moment.

I've just started reading "Pimp" by Iceberg Slim. Iceberg Slim was a pimp in the middle part of last century, and the inspiration for the "Huggy Bear" pimp stereotype you see in movies, TV shows, etc. I'm only 20 or so pages in, but I can already tell it's going to be the "blackest" book I'll ever read (even blacker than Miles Davis' autobiography!).

I finished "The Day Of The Triffids" the other day. I don't normally go for sci-fi books, but I really enjoyed it. It probably helps that I'm playing Fallout New Vegas on ps3 at the moment, so I'm fairly into the post-apocalyptic thing at the moment.

If you liked that - you might like "The Death of Grass" by John Christopher as well. Post Apocalyptic stuff written around the same time as Day of the Triffids.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Smoking Diares by Simon Gray. Diaries of an aging British playwright who I've never heard of. Bloody funny in parts.

Before that it was The Insult by Rupert Thomson. Strange book, very well executed. Just as you're thinking "OK, we've all understood the 'twist' for the last 50 pages or so how long are you going to keep this up?", it takes this weird turn and tells a whole new story with its own twists and turns. Good read.

3 books concurrently

Michelangelo and the Pope's Ceiling by Ross King - visited the Vatican recently and was blown away by the paintings, sculptures and art on display. This book is one of the highly recommended books on the Sistine Chapel

The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency by Alexander McCall Smith - Smith was in Australia recently and did a number of interviews and during the course of some of them I became quite intrigued about this series of books (this is book one) about an woman PI in Botswana.

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. Rowling - Obscure title :p Bought the all seven books in one go for $50 after persistent bugging by a mate and am about 15% through book 4.

3 books concurrently

Michelangelo and the Pope's Ceiling by Ross King - visited the Vatican recently and was blown away by the paintings, sculptures and art on display. This book is one of the highly recommended books on the Sistine Chapel

The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency by Alexander McCall Smith - Smith was in Australia recently and did a number of interviews and during the course of some of them I became quite intrigued about this series of books (this is book one) about an woman PI in Botswana.

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. Rowling - Obscure title :p Bought the all seven books in one go for $50 after persistent bugging by a mate and am about 15% through book 4.

N1LDA - Have you watched the TV series? I find it to be fantastic! On ABC or something.

The Chimney Sweeper's Boy by Barbara Vine (who is actually Ruth Rendell) - I'm about half way through and loving it.

Recently finished:

Does The Noise In My Head Bother You? by Steven Tyler - lots of rambling, not much storytelling going on unfortunately.

Stories I Only Tell My Friends by Rob Lowe - dead boring, gives nothing away and he honestly thinks some of those trashy 80's movies were masterpieces.

Jasper Jones by Craig Silvey - one of the best Aussie novels I have read in a long while.

After Crime and Punishment I moved onto the Great Gatsby. Finished that quite quickly, now reading The White Tiger by Aravind Aviga. Kind of annoyed so far - not sure how it won the Man Booker...
Why do you find it annoying Bomber?

At least it tries to be a little different. Humorous without being cringeworthy for once (Not that I loved the book, just interested)

One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich by Solzhenitsyn.

Probably the most famous soviet-era novel. Quite enjoying it so far.

Just finished Beckett's seminal trilogy (Molloy, Malone Dies, The Unnameable). Probably the toughest thing I've ever read. Felt rewarding in the end though. Waiting for Godot is another brilliant Beckett work I read recently.

^ Amazing book. I need to read more of Solzhenitsyn's stuff.

Why do you find it annoying Bomber?

At least it tries to be a little different. Humorous without being cringeworthy for once (Not that I loved the book, just interested)

Oh I'm only about 30 pages in, I'll give it more time. It's not the content that worries me; I just keep cringing at the language - it reads less like literary prose than it does easy teenage/chick lit. Informal and kind of hackneyed, in a style that's been done many times before. But it seems to have an important story to tell if reviews are anything to go by.

That said, the Man Booker does seem to be going down the drain. Read an interesting article that said there's a new prize being set up to rival it, called the Literature Prize IIRC, because the Man Booker now values readability above literary merit. I mean hey, The Slap (worst book ever) was long-listed. Ughhh

Remove this Banner Ad

The 2nd "What are you reading now" thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back