The 2nd "What are you reading now" thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Gravity's Rainbow by Pynchon.

I'm about 700 pages in and still have almost zero idea of what is going on. I think that's kind of the point though.
i gave up on it in the first 100-150 pages in

I can understand why. I studied the crying of lot 49 at uni and loved it, so I'm willing to persist. At this point I'm in too deep and my pride would be damaged if I gave up now haha.
I tried to read it during covid lockdowns.....

Halfway through Perfume: The Story of a Murderer. Anyone read it?

I'm far from an avid reader but this is some of the most clever and inventive writing I have come across. Really digging it.

Loved it. It's beautifully written. I remember not fully loving the ending though.

Halfway through Perfume: The Story of a Murderer. Anyone read it?

I'm far from an avid reader but this is some of the most clever and inventive writing I have come across. Really digging it.
Hi all. Just discovered this group.

This book is on my list - I might read it next.

Is this thread for fiction or non-Fiction? The last fiction book I read was Beloved, which I admit I didn't finish. Just didn't grab me. Currently reading non-fiction.

Sent from my DN2103 using Tapatalk

Have read quite a few books since last posting in here

Technofeudalism by Yanis Varoufakis great concept but felt it difficult to get my head around exactly how he distinguishes websites like Amazon from normal marketplaces, I kind of get his argument but also have trouble explaining it - probably got just as much from watching him on Q&A and a couple of other interviews he did

The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami - I loved this book, found it very easy to read and some great concepts played with. I also read Hard Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World which was still ok but not as great or enjoyable. I have Kafka on the Shore on my bedside table to read shortly as well.

Titan Sinking, Titan Shattered & Titan Screwed, a trilogy of books about pre-Attitude Era WWF. Bret Hart is probably my favourite wrestler of all time and the backstage politics at this time in WWF were insane with Hart/Michaels and the Kliq. Easy reads, very enjoyable if youre into this stuff.

A Scanner Darkly, I saw the animated film years ago and liked it, I found this just OK. I read it a while ago now so having trouble remembering the specifics but I remember I liked the concept but a bit let down by the execution and the ending.

A Short History of Greece and A Short History of Russia - I really like these especially the Greece one, will definitely be buying more of this series. Really good to give a broad overview of the history before delving into specific eras/personalities. I had a decent understanding of Ancient Greece and modern Greece but not a lot of the 1500-2000 years in between. This filled the gaps nicely, especially the Byzantine period. I read a Short History of Russia after watching the doco series on Netflix the Cold War and the Atomic Bomb. Very good overview of modern Russia, I have Putin's People to read shortly as well.

The Palestine Laboratory by Anthony Lowenstein, great book and very topical obviously, thought the writing was a bit hard to get through at times but very important document of the tech used by the IDF/Mossad and the implications for the rest of the world.

Crossing the Line by Nick McKenzie about the BRS defamation trial and war crimes allegations. Brilliant book, must read for every Australian. McKenzie has been my favourite journo for some time now and this book did not disappoint - when are the prosecutions going to start???

A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms and Fire & Blood by GRRM - enjoyable enough but give us the conclusion to the Song of Ice and Fire books for God's sake!

The Psychopath Test by Jon Ronson - I found this an easy read and enjoyable but felt it ultimately went nowhere. I was hooked in the first chapter with the mystery surrounding the text sent to various people around the world (neurologists and psychologists from memory) but that was then dropped. Very HST style immersive journalism which isn't bad necessarily considering HST is one of my favourite writers but again I felt this just didn't really go anywhere so while enjoyable to read I felt a bit let down by the end.

Dune by Frank Herbert - second attempt at this, first time I only got 100 pages in. I really enjoyed it and now considering whether to read the sequels. As a huge David Lynch fan I'll have to check out his movie and also the doco Jodorowsky's Dune. I watched Holy Mountain years ago while under the influence and thought it was remarkable, would loved to have seen what Jodorowsky could have done with Dune.

Thanks for the great list!

I bought technofeudalism last month and will probably read it next. I got a lot out if "Don't Be Evil" by Rana Foroohar a few years back.

Was also on the fence about reading The Psychopath Test... Sounds like it's a bit of a beach read?

Thanks for the great list!

I bought technofeudalism last month and will probably read it next. I got a lot out if "Don't Be Evil" by Rana Foroohar a few years back.

Was also on the fence about reading The Psychopath Test... Sounds like it's a bit of a beach read?

Yeah definitely, I did like The Psychopath Test it had interesting content and was a pretty easy read just felt like it lacked something by the end.

On Ron Jonson - “ Men who stare at Goats” is an oldie but a goodie

Really enjoying “ Jamaica Inn “ by Daphne De Maurier: tense , dark , moody and fairly gripping as it builds momentum. Haven’t finished it yet so hope it ends well

i gave up on it in the first 100-150 pages in
Haha.. i set it aside 3-4 years back about 100 pages in, and have read about 80 books in the intervening period.
I will pick it up again one day.
A similar thing happened with The Sound and the Fury.. put it down towards the end of the first section narrated by the mentally ******ed brother. It sat there in my bedside pile for years until i found the intestinal fortitude to push through and finish it.
Currently reading London Fields by Martin Amis (for fun) and the Koran (for reasons not to do with fun).

Have read quite a few books since last posting in here

Technofeudalism by Yanis Varoufakis great concept but felt it difficult to get my head around exactly how he distinguishes websites like Amazon from normal marketplaces, I kind of get his argument but also have trouble explaining it - probably got just as much from watching him on Q&A and a couple of other interviews he did

The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami - I loved this book, found it very easy to read and some great concepts played with. I also read Hard Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World which was still ok but not as great or enjoyable. I have Kafka on the Shore on my bedside table to read shortly as well.

Titan Sinking, Titan Shattered & Titan Screwed, a trilogy of books about pre-Attitude Era WWF. Bret Hart is probably my favourite wrestler of all time and the backstage politics at this time in WWF were insane with Hart/Michaels and the Kliq. Easy reads, very enjoyable if youre into this stuff.

A Scanner Darkly, I saw the animated film years ago and liked it, I found this just OK. I read it a while ago now so having trouble remembering the specifics but I remember I liked the concept but a bit let down by the execution and the ending.

A Short History of Greece and A Short History of Russia - I really like these especially the Greece one, will definitely be buying more of this series. Really good to give a broad overview of the history before delving into specific eras/personalities. I had a decent understanding of Ancient Greece and modern Greece but not a lot of the 1500-2000 years in between. This filled the gaps nicely, especially the Byzantine period. I read a Short History of Russia after watching the doco series on Netflix the Cold War and the Atomic Bomb. Very good overview of modern Russia, I have Putin's People to read shortly as well.

The Palestine Laboratory by Anthony Lowenstein, great book and very topical obviously, thought the writing was a bit hard to get through at times but very important document of the tech used by the IDF/Mossad and the implications for the rest of the world.

Crossing the Line by Nick McKenzie about the BRS defamation trial and war crimes allegations. Brilliant book, must read for every Australian. McKenzie has been my favourite journo for some time now and this book did not disappoint - when are the prosecutions going to start???

A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms and Fire & Blood by GRRM - enjoyable enough but give us the conclusion to the Song of Ice and Fire books for God's sake!

The Psychopath Test by Jon Ronson - I found this an easy read and enjoyable but felt it ultimately went nowhere. I was hooked in the first chapter with the mystery surrounding the text sent to various people around the world (neurologists and psychologists from memory) but that was then dropped. Very HST style immersive journalism which isn't bad necessarily considering HST is one of my favourite writers but again I felt this just didn't really go anywhere so while enjoyable to read I felt a bit let down by the end.

Dune by Frank Herbert - second attempt at this, first time I only got 100 pages in. I really enjoyed it and now considering whether to read the sequels. As a huge David Lynch fan I'll have to check out his movie and also the doco Jodorowsky's Dune. I watched Holy Mountain years ago while under the influence and thought it was remarkable, would loved to have seen what Jodorowsky could have done with Dune.
Nice list.
I also read Dune a few years ago.. not a science fiction person but i enjoyed it.
Before you get into the followups, check the Goodreads reviews. The rating drop off from the first in the series is steep.. convinced me to call it quits after the first one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nice list.
I also read Dune a few years ago.. not a science fiction person but i enjoyed it.
Before you get into the followups, check the Goodreads reviews. The rating drop off from the first in the series is steep.. convinced me to call it quits after the first one.
Yeah I did see someone mention the 2nd and 3rd ones were ok but then dropped off immensely (may have been the Dune thread on here).

I finished Kafka on the Shore, I really enjoyed it, I like Murakami's approach to writing - really liked Wind Up Bird Chronicle too, may have to give 1Q84 a go soon.

I just finished Three Body Problem by Liu Cixin, I really liked the Netflix series, very cool concept and was bummed when it finished because I wanted to see where it would head next so picked this up a while ago. Blitzed through it in about 2-3 days, I've been sick the last week so had plenty of time to catch up on reading. I really liked it though the writing was hard to get my head around at times. I'm not sure if it's to do with the translation or not but it felt like there wasn't a lot of meat to it, if that makes sense. For example something may happen and the motivation for the characters decision would be wrapped up in a line or two rather than drawn out. Not necessarily a bad thing, particularly with sci fi where for me it's more about the concepts rather than the characters but it was a bit jarring at first. My son was watching an old Avengers cartoon earlier and it reminded me of a similar kind of dialogue and quick moving storyline. Also some of the scientific concepts seemed pretty far fetched, I'm not too scientifically inclined so not sure how much is "pop" science and how much is based in scientific theory. I also felt like if you started to pull the thread of the Trisolaran civilization it would unravel pretty quickly. But I did enjoy it and interested to see where it goes, I just take accept what is being written without trying to critique it too much. I've started on the sequel now, The Dark Forest and also brought the final volume Deaths End.

Talking about books you've given up on after a little while, I gave up on Infinite Jest after about 100 pages. I will go back to it at some point and try again but I just wasn't getting it. Maybe there was nothing to get and I just didn't enjoy but I will give it another chance as it is held up as some kind of modern classic by certain sections and has been referred to on a number of podcasts I've listened to as well.

Yeah I did see someone mention the 2nd and 3rd ones were ok but then dropped off immensely (may have been the Dune thread on here).

For me it dropped off massively in book 2. I got about 1/3 of the way through before I DNFd.

Remove this Banner Ad

The 2nd "What are you reading now" thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back