The 6 Nations

Remove this Banner Ad

The Blues

Debutant
Oct 12, 2001
Ireland
It's almost upon us again. What are your views/opinions on how it will go?

I don't think we will see a Grand Slam. As England have learned to their cost in recent years, its proving a more and more difficult task every year.

England have a great chance at the Triple Crown. The last game of the year in Dublin will probably decide it.

I reckon the Chamionship is probably down to France or England with ourselves as an outside bet. I'll go for England if I was betting.

From an Irish point of view, I'd hope that we beat Scotland, Italy & Wales. Whether we can get over our jinx of Murrayfield is another question. I am never confident playing there.

With both France and England at home, it would be great to beat one. But in a World Cup year, performance is all important.

With France & England playing each other first up I actually thought that it wouldn't be a bad thing for either of them to lose that game, it gives the loser a chance to select fringe players & see what they're made of in the other games with a view to world cup selection.
The winner will have to plough on always playing the experienced players & trying for the GS.

England have big problems with our 4 first choice props all injured for the firts gaem & maybe all out for the entire comp, that's vickery & White on the blindside & Woodman/Flatman on the loose, this is massive will really hit our chances but if we can stand up to the brutal French scrummage missing this lot then it will say a lot for our squad depth.
Bloody Balshaw's injured again which is terrible news as it's now hard for him to make a case for the WC having missed most of the last year already & simpson-Daniel is injured & I was really hoping to see more of this boy, he's got some great skills, lovely side steps & a fair bit of pace, he just maybe looks a bit lightweight i the only criticism.

Anyway to close to call this year, it's not good going away to Dublin last up but then we may not even get over the French hurdle but what the heck England for a Grand Slam smashing all before them & rattling up a record win against the Welsh on the way.(how I hate those taffies).

Ireland have got to have a chance with both England & France at Landsdowne Road, surely they couldn't do it & Leinster to win the Heineken Cup as well?, The Blues wouldn't be able to control himself.

Originally posted by DIPPER
Ireland have got to have a chance with both England & France at Landsdowne Road, surely they couldn't do it & Leinster to win the Heineken Cup as well?, The Blues wouldn't be able to control himself.
:D :) :D
Ah yeah Dipper and sure while we're dreaming at all, we may aswell throw the World Cup into the bargain - wouldn't be a bad year:D

In fairness, Leinster do have a very genuine chance. Won't be holding my breath about the rest though.

We all know the true Rugby province in Ireland!

Originally posted by The Blues
:D :) :D
Ah yeah Dipper and sure while we're dreaming at all, we may aswell throw the World Cup into the bargain - wouldn't be a bad year:D

In fairness, Leinster do have a very genuine chance. Won't be holding my breath about the rest though.

Well mate there's always a downside & Munster did win the Celtic league this season.;)

okay, I'm gonna go for Ireland here.

I'm a huge fan of Brian O'Driscoll. I hope Ireland win it cause I think this is a great opportunity for them to do it.

Anybody know when it was the last time Ireland won the 6Ns/5Ns?

Originally posted by Iverson

Anybody know when it was the last time Ireland won the 6Ns/5Ns?
We have never won the 6 Nations.

I think we won the Five Nations Championship on 8 occasions. We only did the Grand Slam once back in 1948 and we won the Triple Crown 4 times. The last time was 1985 and before that 1982.

So as you see, it’s about time a bit of Silverware crosses back over The Irish Sea. Unfortunately, I’m not too confident…yet!!

I HATE playing Scotland in Murreyfield. If we get over that and then beat the Italians, it will be all set up for a great game against the French in Dublin. Too many ’IF’S’ for me though!!

Just to clear if up for Iverson who may or may not realise what all that means The Blues, but until just a few years ago if 2 sides were level on points at the top of the table there was no outright winner of the tournament, it didn't go down to points difference or anything which it does now.

Even now the big thing is to do the Grand Slam & beat every other team, especially for France & England.In the last 10 years or so England have won the 5/6nations but haven't won the GS & haven't treated it like anything to be happy about.

The Triple Crown is when any of the 4 British Isles sides manage to beat all the others in a season, the games with France/Italy aren't included, to me this is pretty meaningless I mean England could win the Triple Crown & lose to France whilst say Irealnd could win all their games apart from the England one & finish top of the ladder, so they'd be 6 nations chapms while we'd be Triple crown winners-a bit confusing.

I have to say I'm always surprised at Ireland's lack of success over the years, they're probably as consistently as good as they've ever been now.

Re: We all know the true Rugby province in Ireland!

Well mate there's always a downside & Munster did win the Celtic league this season.;)

Yeah, but who did they have to face?

There's only two teams in Ireland who face a longish future, Ulster and Munster. Welsh rugger is in turmoil and the Scots, well!

Where do you get those wellies from?

Re: Re: We all know the true Rugby province in Ireland!

Originally posted by floorshaker
Yeah, but who did they have to face?

There's only two teams in Ireland who face a longish future, Ulster and Munster. Welsh rugger is in turmoil and the Scots, well!

Where do you get those wellies from?

I don't really understand your point????????

Or where wellies come into it please explain yourelf.

Well, one day to go until the 2003 Six Nations.

I'm going to be uncontroversial and predict that the winners of tomorrow's England-France game will win the Championship.

From an Irish point of view, if England win then we'll have a great chance, as the French coach has said that if they lose, he'll use the rest of the tournament a chance to experiment with inexperienced players. However, beating England and France in the same year? It seems a step too far for us.

But, first we've got that monkey to get off our backs, ie Scotland away. The last three times we've gone there, we've been full of confidence only to get thumped. However, I think the lessons have been learned and I'm predicting a narrow victory on Sunday.

Can't wait for tomorrow though. Arsenal V United in the Cup, England V France and, um, Italy V Wales. I guess 2 out of 3's not bad:rolleyes:

Re: Re: Re: We all know the true Rugby province in Ireland!

I don't really understand your point????????

Or where wellies come into it please explain yourelf.

That's no surprise, you're a southern jessie turned ocker.

Perhaps green wellies aren't required in Earls Court.

So much for idiocation. :D

Dipper, what else don't you get?
:confused:

Originally posted by colin

Can't wait for tomorrow though. Arsenal V United in the Cup, England V France and, um, Italy V Wales. I guess 2 out of 3's not bad:rolleyes:

And many more will be interested - despite the BBC's efforts - -n the Man U v Arsenal match.

Anyone living in the UK must have noticed all the sick nations adverts over the past week. Questions will (Sooner or later) be asked about the publicly funded BBC and it's relationship with RU in the UK.

Re: Re: Re: Re: We all know the true Rugby province in Ireland!

Originally posted by floorshaker
That's no surprise, you're a southern jessie turned ocker.

Perhaps green wellies aren't required in Earls Court.

So much for idiocation. :D

Dipper, what else don't you get?
:confused:

I don't get how one person can be such an @rsehole.

Idiocation?You've got a degree in it haven't you BTige you moaning whining northern b@stard, just go back to your rugby League, if you don't like Union then fair enough but stop boring everyone on here with your self pitying delusional conspiracy theories, I mean what have you got to complain about there's even jobs up there now aren't here?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What a great weekend, Arsenal win, England win & the taffies lose, absolutely beautiful.(Hey floorshaker you've got a bit of Welsh blood haven't you?).

Hey Colin you saw how Arsenal went to Old Trafford & dominated from beggining to end, tough men doing what had to be done?That'll be England in Dublin for the last game.:D

Hey Colin you saw how Arsenal went to Old Trafford & dominated from beggining to end, tough men doing what had to be done?That'll be England in Dublin for the last game.:D

Hehe, keep talking Dip.

There's nothing we like more than to welcome a bunch of arrogant superstars to Lansdowne be it soccer or rugby ;)

I just hope Woodward starts insulting the Irish team the day before the game:p

Don't forget, we'll have Woody back for that one. Remember the last time England came to Dublin expecting to take the Slam, and he flew across the line like a torpedo!

In the meantime I'll wax lyrical about the 'best team in the World'. How are us minnows expected to compete with England's resources?

Hehe well you know what Colin assuming you beat the French it's gonna be some climax to the season, I have to say that looking at our play against Wales you couldn't make us favourites.(I'm being serious there not the old talking yourself down ploy that all the big teams do these days).

My mate said to me I hope the French beat the Irish (meaning that it would make it easier for us there in the last game) but I said no way, firstly I want it to be the GS decider & secondly every time we've blown the GS in the last game the side that have beaten us have had no pressure just the thrill of wiping the smirk of the faces of the arrogant English(there's a stereotype for ya-& all the Irish love a drink & are up for the craic;) ) but I want to see how a team like Ireland cope with having to win the game to win the GS it requires a totally different mind set, the pressure kicks in, the weight of expectaation from a nation who've only 1 previous GS to boast.It makes it entirely different & should make it a thriller.

but I want to see how a team like Ireland cope with having to win the game to win the GS it requires a totally different mind set, the pressure kicks in, the weight of expectaation from a nation who've only 1 previous GS to boast.It makes it entirely different & should make it a thriller.

Yeah I hear that. The year we beat you in the last game to deny you the slam, people were saying 'If only we'd beaten Scotland away, then we'd have won the grand slam', but of course it most likely wouldn't have worked out that way.

You're right to hope we beat the French as it would put us under pressure we've never experienced before. The media are building up to March 31st though, the decider. The headline in our Sunday Independent said "Two down, three to go". I just hope we don't get too carried away.

The headline in our Sunday Independent said "Two down, three to go". I just hope we don't get too carried away.
This kind of bull***** is 1 of a billion reasons why I don't buy the SINDO - fcuking rag.

Aside from that, you are both right. If Ireland do beat Fance and Wales, the decider will possibly be the biggest game in 20 years in this country. Winning under that pressure would be the real test of this team - we'll just wait and see are they capable.

Saturday week is all we should be thinking of for now. Never mind what the French say, they won't want to lose 2 matches in a World Cup Year. They will be tough up front and will offer a helluva lot more to challenge our defence with.

Reggie Corrigan is a big loss - Any more injuries to props in Ireland & England and we'll be calling back popplewell, claw etc !!

Well I don't know about the sindo but I do know that overconfidence like that is just the type of thing that occurs before an unexpected defeat. I know Ireland are a very professional team these days but i don't like the way everyone's talking about the England game while forgetting about a little thing called France. You're right Blues, they're coming to Lansdowne looking for no less than a win.

You're right about the prop thing The Blues, ours have been dropping like flies & sometimes watching on TV or whatever you don't always appreciate how important these human oxes are.We've lost our 2 first choice loose heads & our two first chocie tight heads as well.

The funny thing with England at the moment is that our backs(so far) look less incisive than they have in the 6 nations for about 5 years, Ireland's are currently looking a damned sight more impressive-I read an article in one of the papers over here saying much the same thing.

I don't know if they're playing Hodgkinson at inside centre because Woowdard thinks the 2 fly half thing can work or because he knows in a WC year he needs to give him game time in case anything happens to Wilko.

There's a definite lack of fluidity in the English backs though, Luger doesn't look fit & Robinson is surely better on the wing than at fullback, it's a shame that Balshaw got injured again.With
Coehn out for the next game I hope Simpson-Daniel(can he become our Brian O'Driscoll?) gets a go rather than that little German fella Phil Christophers who looks rubbish to me.

Well it looks like the GS decider is on (just about!)

I didn't see the England V Scotland game but apparently England were very impressive in the last quarter running out 40-9 winners.

Did anyone see the Wales-Ireland game? Such drama! Ireland, without ever really leaving second gear, coasted into a comfortable lead and then stupidly decided to try and defend that for the rest of the game. This led to sustained pressure from the Welsh, who clawed back the deficit and dropped a goal two minutes into injury time to go 2 points up. Then from the restart, Ireland got possession and substitute O'Gara dropped a goal with his first kick.

Just when you thought it was all over, Wales recycled possession, and with the referee giving them the advantage after an Irish misdimeanor, they could have taken the option of a penalty from about 20-25 metres out, but opted to keep the ball alive. Eventually Ireland gained possession and put the ball dead to end a breathless few minutes.

Now the outhalf debate gets reignited for us. Do we stick with Humphreys, who's had a solid if unspectacular 6 nations, or go with O'Gara, the hero of Cardiff?

Blues, any thoughts?

Saw highlights of Wales v Ireland and it looked like a great game. The Welsh crowd were going off when Stephen Jones knocked over the DG, though they were going to win there. But O'Gara did a DG in injury to win.

Looked like a brilliant match.

Its a pity that Wales didn't win, but its all good for the Irish. Could be destiny for them you know, I certainly like to think so.

The Ireland v England match should be a ripper.

On another note, funny how people last year complained about the 6 nations schedule this year on how the last match wasn't England v France? It looks like things somehow work themselves out... and guess what... the championship decider is in the last round between Ireland and England.

My paper today made exactly the same point as you Iverson about how all those people who wanted the fixture schedule fixed are idiots.

As for me I'm glad that Ireland won, it makes next Sunday more exciting but more importantly from an England point of view it puts a bit of pressure on the Irish, I think Saturday showed that they were starting to feel it.

When England have been turned over in the 3 last game GS games we were playing teams who had nothing to lose & just wanted to ruin our day, well now the Irish will find out how big the pressure is & let's see how they deal with the huge expectations of a home crowd.

It's going to be a great occasion ,let's hope the good weather satys with us, I'm hopeful of an England win but honestly it's a pretty close call, who knows how things will unfold.

For England we're still unable to put in a full 80 minute game but the new full back Lewsey has definitely fired up the back line & Jason Robinson looked dangerous on the wing.

The back row lacks a bit of pace though, 3 oldies in there, personally I'd out Neil Back & bring in Worsely.

As for me I'm glad that Ireland won, it makes next Sunday more exciting but more importantly from an England point of view it puts a bit of pressure on the Irish, I think Saturday showed that they were starting to feel it.

When England have been turned over in the 3 last game GS games we were playing teams who had nothing to lose & just wanted to ruin our day, well now the Irish will find out how big the pressure is & let's see how they deal with the huge expectations of a home crowd.

I forgot to mention that alright. The pressure is starting to show but I don't think that was the only reason for the mediocre display against Wales. I think Ireland lacked the fear of losing that's vital to focus minds. You can be sure that's going to be present for the visit of England.

BTW, William Hill gave the following odds on Saturday evening:
England 4/9
Ireland 13/8

It's going to be a great occasion, the build up can begin, can't wait!

For England we're still unable to put in a full 80 minute game but the new full back Lewsey has definitely fired up the back line & Jason Robinson looked dangerous on the wing.

The back row lacks a bit of pace though, 3 oldies in there, personally I'd out Neil Back & bring in Worsely.

I don't know of any team in the world capable of putting in an 80 minute game these days. One of the England players, I think it was Steve Thomson, was saying every team, even the likes of Italy, are going to have their moments in the ascendancy, it's a matter of who can make the most of their opportunities when they come along.

Interesting about the back row, I thought they were the fittest in the 6 nations?

Remove this Banner Ad

The 6 Nations

Remove this Banner Ad

Back