The 6 Nations

Remove this Banner Ad

Originally posted by colin

Interesting about the back row, I thought they were the fittest in the 6 nations?

Well Lawrence Dallagallio might be fitter than he was 5 years ago but he's not as quick, do you remember that try he scored against the French in Paris in about 96?he just burned a whole load of their backs away, you don't see him do that any more.

That's why I like Moody, he's pretty big but he's bloody quick as well.

The thing that's hit me this year is what a centre pairing the Lions would have had 2 years ago if Greendwood had been fit, could you imagine him & O'Driscoll together, Greendwood would just be putting him in space all game, unloading from the tackle especially & O'Driscoll would do the rest.

If Greenwood had pace he'd be our O'Driscoll, but as I said recently on another thread if my auntie had balls she'd be my uncle.:D

Nah, I'm going to be put on my green specs and say I'd still go for Henderson:)

For the next Lions tour, yeah Greenwood and O'Driscoll would make a good pairing. Then again the coach might have other ideas, whoever gets the job.

Nah, I'm going to be put on my green specs and say I'd still go for Henderson:)

For the next Lions tour, yeah Greenwood and O'Driscoll would make a good pairing. Then again the coach might have other ideas, whoever gets the job.

Well if they don't give it to Woodward then somebody wants shooting.

Isn't Henderson English???????:confused: :D it's just that whenever I hear him speak he sounds English to me (as does that other Irish centre Kevin Maggs), funny that.

Originally posted by DIPPER

Isn't Henderson English???????:confused: :D it's just that whenever I hear him speak he sounds English to me (as does that other Irish centre Kevin Maggs), funny that.

:D Yeah, real funny. Get your little dig in!

Tell you what, you give us back Kieran Bracken and we'll give you back Maggs. On second thoughts....

How's the build up to the game over the water Dipper?

There's a real buzz over here, the bandwagon has swelled to breaking point, and people who've never touched a rugby ball are talking about it in earnest. It's almost overshadowing the Irish soccer game on Saturday. I cannot wait, now if only I could afford the 2000 euros for a ticket:p

I've heard they could have filled Lansdowne Rd 3 times over.

Why don't they play the game at that Gaelic football ground to allow more to watch Ireland beat England? :D

It was a great game of rugby, whilst it ended up a hammering(on the scoreboard) it most certainly wasn't for the best part of the match.

I felt that England always looked the better side but there was a large spell of Irish pressure when they were banging away at our line but the defence was superb & if there's ever been a better tackler at no10 in the history of the game than Jonny Wilkinson then I'd be amazed, he was smashing people back in the tackle all game even some of the Irish back row boys.

It's been a funny tournament for England, for the last 3/4 seasons we've played a thrilling style of rugby in the 5/6 nations & we've set try & points scoring record of one sort or another every season BUT we've also lost one game each year.This tournament we've not looked as slick or as sharp as the other years, or indeed as slick as we looked when beating the 3 southern hemispehere sides in the Autumn but at the same time we never looked like lsoing a match.There seemed a new steely resolve in the side & a desire to play the percentages a bit more.

After missing out so many times recently this was beautiful & to do it away from home against a very good Irish side who at the very least are the 6th best side in the world was extremely impressive but as enjoyable as it was already everyone's thoughts are on the world cup.

Oh & to cap a great day we also beat Australi, Fiji & then NZ in the final to win the Hong Kong Sevens!

Trouble is BT next year it's at Twickenham!!!!

Johnson, Back and Leonard will probably not be there, but I doubt the latter two would be in England's first choice 15 anyway.

It seems as though Bernard Laporte, the French Coach, assessed it correctly. He felt that the English forwards as a group would be too fast around the pitch and would close down Irish attacks. I feel that, and the greater physical strength of the English players (man for man) proved to be the case.

After 20 minutes I was content that England would win. Ireland were obviously going to struggle to score into the wind and the best they could hope for was a slight lead at the half. The English back row were pretty dominant, although Gleeson played well against them, and the backs were hitting gaps near to the rucks and mauls.

England upped the pace in the 2nd half and then it was only a matter of time.

Very enjoyable (an Irish friend of mine 'went to ground' for the rest of the day:))

Scarily for the rest Vickery, one of the best loose heads in the world and very mobile, crunching ball carrier, missed the whole Tournament. Another very quick prop, Woodman, didn't play much and the fastest forward in the squad, Lewis Moody, also missed much of it. In the backs their was no Healey, Catt or Balshaw. I suspect by the World Cup James Forrester of Gloucester may push for a place (a rampaging wild bull of a back row forward) and Dan Scarborough might make a name at wing or full back, it may be a shade early for Garvey, the Gloucester wing, who could turn out to be a bit special.

Originally posted by Booze Hound

Scarily for the rest Vickery, one of the best loose heads

He's a tight head, but I agree with you, when we harness him, Woodman & Thompson it'll be electric.

I suspect by the World Cup James Forrester of Gloucester may push for a place (a rampaging wild bull of a back row forward)

About this time last year I remember you being similarly complimentary about another back row forward in Declan Danaher & he's slipped off the radar somewhat since so i hope you haven't jinxed Forrester who's certainly quick & able to score tries(a touch lacking physically at the moment perhaps?) his back row team mate at Gloucester Hazell looks pretty useful as well.If they take the present 3 back rowers plus Moody & Worsley to the WC I doubt there'd be any room for another would there?Could they fit in 6?

and Dan Scarborough might make a name at wing or full back, it may be a shade early for Garvey, the Gloucester wing, who could turn out to be a bit special.

I was hoping that Scarborough would get a go earlier in the season but Lewsey got the nod at full back& really made us a better attacking unit.
It might be a bit late for Scarborough to make a charge for the world cup, he's got to deal with Cohen/Robinson/Lewsey/Luger/Christophers(who I don't rate)/Simpson-Daniel(good but a touch lightweight)/Balshaw.

I really do hope that Blashaw can get fit & show some form, he really would add something to our world cup hopes even if just from the bench.A fit Healey is a big plus as well for the bench as he gives us more room for other options.

After all that

Ireland played too conseratively. The Backs weren't pushed enough forward. Never got into them at all. Any comment Dipper on Johnson standing where wasn't meant to, telling a steward to Fo£k off, and insuring that our head of state had to walk off the red carpet while meeting the teams. England are a class team. All things being equal they are 20 points better than Ireland.

Clarin:

England went to the correct spot for the 'presentation's (you always stand on the side you will be defending), the Irish tried to upset them with this so called protocol but Johnson, rightly, was having none of it. The Irish press are making a fuss of it in absence of anything else to criticise about the England team.

Dipper: My bad on Vickery, although he has played loose head at International level, including against Argentina last summer which is about as tough as it gets. I hear what you say about Danaher, he has got lost a bit in a poor London Irish team this season.

The World Cup squad will be, I understand, 35 strong and I reckon there will be a few places up for grabs.

For me the certain selections, subject in one or two cases to a recovery in form and fitness are:

Props:
Vickery, Woodman, Leonard

Hookers: Thompson, Greening (fallen out of favour but lots of talent and good on fast ground - shame he looks like Stirling Moss)

2nd Rows: Johnson, Kay, Grew****, Borthwick

Back Row: Hill, Dallaglio, Moody, Back, Worsley

Scrum Half: Dawson, Bracken

Fly Half: Wilkinson, Hodgson (I suspect he will be fit just in time)

Centre: Greenwood, Tindall, Smith (great young talent)

Wing: Robinson, Cohen, Luger

Full Back: Lewsey, Balshaw

Utility Backs (covering 3 positions): Catt, Healey

This will leave seven spots available.

They will take one more prop. they could go for the scrummaging of White, the dynamism and youth of Morris or the experience of Rowntree but I suspect they may go for the versatile Flatman - once again assuming fitness.

I think they have room for at least two 'back five forwards. Corry would be a good pick and I think they will take Forrester. If they go for a third I would like a look at Chris Jones of Sale who plays mainly in the 2nd row but can outpace some pretty quick backs. The two Sandersons could also be considered.

With Healey in there is no need for extra cover at scrum half, and assuming Hodgson is ok Healey and Catt also cover the 10 spot.

There are quite a few promising centres/wings to look at and I would take Johnstone (Saracens), Noon (Newcastle), Simpson-Daniel (Gloucester) and Scarborough (Leeds) as things stand. An interesting name who has been out injured all season (but should be back soon) is Dave Walder who plays 15 for Newcastle, or 10 when JW is away. He looked very good all round in both roles last season and is another outstanding kicker. In addition, I would take Garvey on the summer Tours just to see if he is ready.

Congratulations to England. Great win by a great team. No complaints whatsoever except for the fact that the score didn’t reflect the play. I felt you were probably 15-20 points the better team.

Suppose there’s not too much point going into the details of our loss too much because we didn’t lose it, England won it.

Again, congrats boys. This England team was definitely worth a Grand Slam.

Originally posted by Booze Hound
Clarin:

England went to the correct spot for the 'presentation's (you always stand on the side you will be defending), the Irish tried to upset them with this so called protocol but Johnson, rightly, was having none of it. The Irish press are making a fuss of it in absence of anything else to criticise about the England team.

WRONG.
That may be the way in Cardiff/Twick/Murray or wherever BUT in Landsdowne Rd the home team ALWAYS line out where Johnson planted his men. ALWAYS - FULL STOP and Johnson knew this and showed a complete lack of respect to our President.

This is the first time this has happened. None of our rugby oppenents or soccer oppenents have failed to respect this tradition before. It took the ignorance of ignorant man in an effort to gain an advantage?! What an idiot.

It seems the RFU agree though and have graciously sent a letter of apology to our President and the IRFU. Proof, not that it was needed, that ignorance is a trait of Johnson alone and not the English people.

Is mise,.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Re: After all that

Originally posted by Clarin Pearl
. Any comment Dipper on Johnson standing where wasn't meant to, telling a steward to Fo£k off, and insuring that our head of state had to walk off the red carpet while meeting the teams.

Well I have to say I didn't even notice it all happening at the time as I was so pumped up for the game & was talking my usual rubbish, what I read does contradict what The Blues has said but I will bow to his knowledge on ther matter as he seems pretty clear on the protocol.

How it was reported in my paper was that teams always stand on the side that they are about to defend & this is what happens everywhere else, it seemed to me that the Irish betrayed a sense of superstition over standing on the left that Johnson was happy to exploit.
It seems to me from what I read regardless of the rights & wrongs of England standing where they were that it wasn't England that made the President walk on the grass but the fact that Ireland stood even furthur on that side than England, if they'd have stood where England 'should' have stood then there wouldn't have been a problem;) .

Still as I say I didn't really notice it at the time & I'm only going on what I read, I honestly can't believe the fuss that has been made but I suppose wars have started over less.If there was a superstitious element to the Irish players wanting to stand there then I have no sympathy for that either, one of the things that winds me up about sportsmen is their ridiculous superstitions.(Cricketers are the bloody worst the way they won't move in the pavillion if their team mates are making a large stand).

Still if you're angry it's nothing to the ire of my mates who were outraged at Ireland having 2 anthems played!I had to point out that we'd had this conversation many times before(on the odd occasions that we actually listen to them) & then I had to explain why for the umpteenth time.:D

Still it's a shame that this incident had soured things slightly as before the game I was pointing out that the Irish rugby fans have always had a grudging respect for England ever since the early 70s when both Scotland & Wales (the gutless wonders that they are) refused to play in Dublin due to IRA threats but England dutifully turned up to reciece both an ovation from the crowd & a damn good thrashing from the boys in green.

BTW thanks for your magnanamity(sp?) in defeat The Blues, it's not nice to lose it on the last day is it?A 4th time in 5 years would have been to much to bear so it's hard to begrudge us our day.

Booze Hound,

it's 35 players is it?

I'm sure they usually take 3 hookers & I reckon 5 props (add White & Rowntree to your list).(that's 2 for each side & Leonard to cover both from the bench)

I'm pretty sure Simon Shaw has jumped ahead of Borthwick in Woodie's mind, he's much too lightweight-just a line out jumper nothing else, same goes for Chris Jones who may be electric but only weighs about 15 stone (not enough for an int 2nd row).

I'd guess he'll have 6/7 back rowers (maybe 1 of which can cover 2nd row ie Corry).

I'd guess the squad will look something like this

Hookers-Thompson/West/Regan
Props Vickery/White/Rowntree/Woodman/Leonard
Locks Johnson/Kay/Grew****/Shaw
BR Hill/Dallagilio/Back/Moody/Worsely/Sanderson/Forrester
SH-Dawson/Bracken
FH Wilkinson/Grayson
Centres Greenwood/Tindall/Smith/Noon
Wings Luger/Cohen/Robinson/Simpson-Daniel
FB Lewsey/Balshaw
Utilities Healey/Catt

Maybe Corry for Sanderson or Forrester but I don't think Johnstone will make it I get the feeling he's lost patience with waiting for him to deliver.Maybe Christophers will get in ahead of Noon or SD.
With so many players able to go I hope he picks a few with a view to having a strong bench ie Healey can cover a number of positions, Leonard can cover both sides of the scrum & also to having game breakers on the bench such as Balshaw/Simpson-Daniel/Forrester.

Unfortunately I don't think Hodgson will make it, he may just be up & running by then but match fitness will surely be a long way off.(when Dallagilio came back from a similar injury he kept getting minor aggravations to it & other injuries for a while before he could get a run of games going.

:D Yeah, real funny. Get your little dig in!

Tell you what, you give us back Kieran Bracken and we'll give you back Maggs. On second thoughts....

I wouldn't swap Bracken for anyone after that tackle he pulled off right on our line, I wouldn't even swap him for Townsend,Cascarino,Lawrenson,McCarthy,McAteer,Morrison,or O'Leary(who was born in London):D

Anyway mate where are ya?I'm not going to give you a beasting I'm not too much of a gloater I'm just happy to get the win(although if it was the jocks or the taffs I'd make an exception but then they're not true gentleman like us & yourselves are they?;) )

Originally posted by The Blues
No complaints whatsoever except for the fact that the score didn’t reflect the play. I felt you were probably 15-20 points the better team.

Funny when, two years ago, England played much the better rugby (almost all of the attacking) the scoreboard tells the truth of the game but the score on Sunday wasn't a fair reflection;).

Did any of you see the "Six Nations Select XV" chosen on the "Planet Rugby Board". You'll have a laugh at one or two of the names:

15. G.Murphy
14. J.Robinson
13. B.O'Driscoll
12. K.Maggs (yes Kevin Maggs??????????)
11. C.Paterson
10. J.Wilkinson
9. A.Troncon
8. A.Foley
7. A.Persico
6. R.Hill
5. M.O'Kelly
4. M.Johnson
3. J.Leonard
2. S.Thompson
1. J.J.Crenca

Replacements:
R.Ibanez
B.Douglas
F.Pelous
K.Gleeson
P.Stringer
D.Humphreys
R.Williams

I reckon it was picked by an Irishman, after waaaay too many pints of the black fluid.

I would agree with about 9 of the first XV and maybe three of the replacements.

Originally posted by DIPPER

Anyway mate where are ya?I'm not going to give you a beasting I'm not too much of a gloater I'm just happy to get the win(although if it was the jocks or the taffs I'd make an exception but then they're not true gentleman like us & yourselves are they?;) )

Well since you put it so nicely then I'll come out of hiding!

Nah seriously, well done to England, they gave a lesson not just in how to play rugby but also in sheer single-mindedness and will to win that people will remember for a while yet. I was gutted after the game though.

I know this sounds ridiculous now, but I got a feeling on Friday night that the game was going to go like this. There was too much 'miracles can happen' talk and too little concrete evidence to prove how this Irish team would have won.

Who knows, maybe if we'd nicked a try at the end of the first half and Wilkinson hadn't dropped his second goal (with his 'weak' foot? The guys a freak), the game might have changed, but I doubt it. The England pack were simply awesome, they covered the ground better, gave away few penalties, pinched something like 18 turnovers, and their rolling maul caused havoc, leading to Tindall's try which finished the game as a contest. Even when we had the ball, we were running into a brick wall in the English defence, as booze hound said their greater strength was pretty clear to see.

Regarding Johnson, I think he's an ignorant pig and he knew where to stand and chose to be stubborn. I just wonder what if O'Driscoll had done the same against a member of royalty? They should have held everything up until he moved, after all he couldn't stand there all day. A shame about the three anthems, I cringe everytime 'Ireland's Call' comes on. If you can't stand for two minutes for our national anthem, then f*ck off and form a Northern Irish team. We'd probably do just as well anyway. (I don't want to get dragged into politics but why should the majority be forced to do without their national anthem, what is this, apartheid or something?)

I think it's fair to say England are the best in the World currently. It'll certainly be an interesting WC that's for sure. As for Ireland, well we know our limitations which might be just as well really. As one journalist put it, yesterday's game was between a team hoping to win the World Cup, and a team hoping to do well in the World Cup. Can't argue with that.

BTW, Dipper why the beef with the Scots/Welsh? I know Jonathon Davies' voice can be irritating, but any other reason :confused:

Dipper, superstition can become tradition and that would be my point of view on the subject. If Ireland just wanted to stand there because thats where they'd stood in the last game, well thats wrong but this is going backs years as I understand it.

Speaking (writing!) honestly, I think the reason it irked over here is because it was Johnson. Had it been anyone else (bar Healy or Dawson), it most certainly wouldn't have turned into the issue. Anyway as far as I'm concerned, the issue is closed now.

Anyway on the match, massive crowd over from England and brilliant craic in town after the game. We knew we were beaten not only by a better team but by a really good team which always makes defeat easier i.e. no excuses. It was very, very difficult pick a weakness in the English side. As a paddy, i'd hope that your ageing, but brilliant back row will be an area where we can close the gap in the next couple of years.

Regarding the team of the championship, I wouldn’t go along with all the Irish selections. I’d pick Murphy alright. O’Driscoll was great in defence but didn’t get enough opportunity going forward to get the spot. Maggs stopped people – shouldn’t be on the team. Foley had a good year but wasn’t the best lock in the championship. I would agree with O’Kelly and I also think John Hayes would be in with a shout for selection.

BTW, Dipper why the beef with the Scots/Welsh? I know Jonathon Davies' voice can be irritating, but any other reason :confused:

Well it's just the attitude of both their supporters & players to England that irritates me.

The rugby relationship with Ireland seems to me how it should be, there's a load of banter & I'm sure there's no one that you'd rather stuff but it remains good natured & God knows you've more reason to hate us than most.

Both the Welsh & Scots seem to use the internationals as an excuse to vent their English hating spleens.

I've read so many accounts of English players being spat on in Cardiff or being roundly abused in Edinburgh.Of English supporters being roughed up in both cities.

The Scots started using it as a vehicle for Scottish nationalism in the early 90s(& by default anti Englishness), I still remember after we beat the Scots in the 1991 WC semi that their whole side turned up at the final wearing Scottish hats & scarves.

I read something before the last Wales game about Wade Dooley going out of the hotel on the morning of one of the previous Wales/England encounters in Cardiff for a walk, the reason he did it was just to strut around & almost defy any of the Welsh to take a pop at him.He knew that they hated him but he went out on his own to pump himself up & to almost use it as a chance to prove his dominance.

Just the other week I read John Jeffries the former Scottish back row man(he of the white hair) going on about his hatred of Twickenham & the people in it, it's just this sort of attitude that winds me up & although I'm not really a gloater by nature I just love to see the faces of the Welsh & Scottish supporters after we've dished out one of our almost regular thrashings to them.

It's a bit like Will Carling once said, they're all allowed to hate us & they all go on about how much they hate us but I tell you I hate them more than they can ever hate me.I don't think he actually meant it but for me it was a great thing to say just to get the point accross.

As a paddy, i'd hope that your ageing, but brilliant back row will be an area where we can close the gap in the next couple of years.

Well I'm pretty sure that Back will go after the WC & he's the oldest at 34, the other 2 are aged 29 & 30.

I mentioned before that there's a slight lack f pace there but Lewis Moody seems to be first reserve & he's as quick as anything & then there's a fair few younger blokes knocking on the door so I reckon we'll be ok for the future it's just the WC, do these 3 give us enough pace around the paddock.

I agree with Dipper.

Back will be phased out even if he doesn't retire, but Moody would join Hill and Dallaglio in the first choice back row anyway.

I also agree on the attitude of the Scots and Welsh. I used to visit the SRU site and found it interesting that a Scot could criticise an England player, or English rugby in general, in any way they wanted. If an English supporter dared to make a mild point against the Scots he was immediately castigated as arrogant, ignorant or worse and told to go away(rudely). This from a Country that can give Kenny Logan over 50 caps!!!!

When I used to be able to get tickets for Twickenham the Irish and French were always the best fans. They would party beforehand, shout themselves hoarse in a justifiably biased view of the game (as we all have) and then party afterwards whatever the result. The Scots, and even more the Welsh, are frequently bad losers and worse winners.

Just for the hell of it, my 6 nations Select would be:

15: Murphy - Hey, the ZP's known for years what the Irish have just worked out.
14: Robinson - Just let him run free.
13: Traille - All round awesome in attack.
12: Greenwood - Subtlest passing centre I've seen in a long time. Strong runner and tackler too.
11: Rougerie - Quick, tricky and tough.
10: Wilkinson - No comment needed.
9: Troncon - Tricky and busy.
8: Taylor - Quite frankly, the only decent Scot on consistent view.
7: Gleeson - Sharp support, good hands.
6: Hill - Mr Everywhere.
5: Kay - Strong line out play, superb in the loose.
4: Johnson - Would make any team in the World, the toughest hombre of all.
3: Leonard - Very sound in the scrum, does all the little things that let those around him play.
2: Thompson - Scary combination of size, power and speed.
1: Crenca - Rock in the tight, bull in the loose

Replacements:

Pointrenaud - Just slightly more scary than Lewsey.
O'Driscoll - Too much class.
Redpath - 2nd most impressive Scot, kept them afloat more than once.
Marconnect - Another tough, tough, French prop.
Ibanez - Another fine, all round hooker.
O'Kelly - Close call with Kay
Dallaglio - Good pace, great hands, amazing power.

Ah but lads, you can have brilliant replacements etc etc but at the end of the day that back row are a brilliant unit - better than the sum of their parts if you like.

One other thing:
Johnny Wilkinson is too brave for his own good.
Discuss....

BTW, i saw that one of you boys above mentioned Forrester. He looks a great prospect. Will he be blooded before or after the world cup?

..and finally... for a neutral perspective... Humphry's or O'Gara??

Blues:

Although the Hill/Dallaglio/Back group are a very experienced unit (how many times have they played together?) the way the squad works together means anyone filling a hole will know who they are playing with, their strengths, weaknesses, how they like to receive the ball etc. They even bring in young players who aren't in the 'A' squad to get them used to it.

I think Wilkinson is better off tackling like he does than going in half hearted. I believe the shoulder problem at the moment is as much as matter of not enough rest as anything deep seated. It's a shame Hodgson got hurt as he is almost as good a kicker as JW but, IMO, and that of such as Stuart Barnes (who probably knows a little more about it than I do:)) Hodgson is a better attacking fly-half. There are plenty of good goal kickers out there (even Dawson is pretty good nowdays). Personally I would take JW on the summer tour to keep him involved but play Clive Woodward before him:)

I think Forrester (and the likes of Garvey) should play against the Barbarians and go on the summer tour so those in power can have a further look at them. If they settle in they have the potential to be very useful in the big party. A name I left out of my projected England Squad is Henry Paul. Hopefully the penny has dropped at Gloucester and they will play him at centre for the rest of the season (I hope to see him live on Saturday in the Cup Final). He has great talent and when he came to Union I thought centre would be his best position (he could play either one, I felt Iestyn Harris would be best at 12 and Jason Robinson13 - good to see some National coaches coming round to it:)). Paul is, of course, also an outstanding goal kicker.

On the 'Irish' question:

O'Gara all the way. He sets the back line up much better and is more dangerous with ball in hand.

Humphrey's can keep control, O'Gara can take it from another team.

For me he's the 3rd best '10' in the British Isles - behind JW and Hodgson.

Ah but lads, you can have brilliant replacements etc etc but at the end of the day that back row are a brilliant unit - better than the sum of their parts if you like.

One other thing:
Johnny Wilkinson is too brave for his own good.
Discuss....

BTW, i saw that one of you boys above mentioned Forrester. He looks a great prospect. Will he be blooded before or after the world cup?

..and finally... for a neutral perspective... Humphry's or O'Gara??

On the subject of the back row I have to confess to not being a fan of Neil Back, I think he's vastly overrated & IMO Hill is the best openside in the world(on the Lions tour he played the first game & the first half of the 2nd Test,before being taken out by Grey,& we won the first match & we we're winning the second at this point, he totally overran Smith in the battle at the tackle-then Back got the nod for the rest of the series & Smith came into his own, it's ok Back running around linking up with the backs but at the tackle ge doesn't compare with Hill).
So I'm happier when Moody gets the nod & Hill goes to openside whilst Moody's extra pace comes in useful, I think when he played in the game against NZ he really came of age & was awesome, so I'd say that he will probably be a first choice.I read a quote from one of the English coaching squad who responded to a query from the press about how to accomodate all the back row talent & said 'Oh it's not a problem whem Moody's back it just means that we can drop Back or Dallagillio again':D .

Wilksinon's tackling is such a major part of his game that if he held back he wouldn't have the same impact, I'd take him on the summer tour & play him in one of the Tests only (NZ).WE can't be seen to be crapping our pants over the fitness of one player.I don't think he's actually quite as good as people make out, he's not got the best running game, he destroyed Ireland last year but he hasn't done it enough & the game against NZ in the autumn showed a few things.They played Spencer at 10 & we rattled up a good lead with a totally dominant bunch of forwards but when they brought on Merhtens despite his forwards still being under the cosh he got them going & nearly pulled off a great victory.In many ways he showed Jonny a thing or two playing behind a beaten pack (which Jonny hasn't had to do very often-France last season!) & let's face it it's not as if Merhtens is just a running fly half like Larkham, he's a great tactical kicker & only slightly behind Jonny as a penalty kicker.

As regards Hodgson I have to disagree with Booze Hound, I don't think his kicking is anywhere near as good as Wilko's either at goal or from hand but I do think he's a great running fly half, his speed off the mark is superb & he can spot a gap & make a break better than Jonny.I've often felt that his style of play would suit the England side more than Jonny's over the last couple of years because I could really see him igniting our backline, but of course we would lose Jonny's strengths but the way we've reigned in our all out attack style this season means that Jonny's slighltly more structured play is better suited.Comparing the 2 is a bit like the old Rob Andrew/Stuart Barnes debate that we used to have except of course there is no actual debate this time.I think Hodgson would be great coming off the bench if we need tries late on in a game.

Forrester will go to the WC I reckon, he's got bags of talent but as Saturday showed when he didn't touch the ball down properly for that try he's a bit too laid back & there must be question marks over his ability to physically match other back row players in contact situations, he's not a demolishing tackler & he doesn't always come off that well when he gets tackled.But for sure he's got loads of pace & loads of skill.

Henry Paul can only play in one psoiton for my money in Union & that's at inside centre playign the Catt role of being 50% a centre & 50% a second fly half.I'm not sure he's good enough for England in the WC but he's played very well in the Sevens side & has good skills but he can looklike a fish out of mwater at times, Gloucester should never play him at full back but the way he floundered against Munster a couple of months back would deter me from picking him for England.

Humphrey's or O'Gara?Well O'Gara always looks more classy, he's more physical & has got a big kick on him but Humphrey's always seems to be there more, sniffing around for the half break & more likely to appear on the shoulder of players when they've made a break & the game's gone a bit loose.

So if pushed I'd go Humphrey's with O'Gara breathing down his neck from he bench.

Remove this Banner Ad

The 6 Nations

Remove this Banner Ad

Back