Certified Legendary Thread The absolute brilliance that is the C9 commentary team. CC: Brad McNamara

Remove this Banner Ad

Do we really need FOUR commentators on at once?

Came in to post exactly this.

It always used to be pairs, then during lunch and tea breaks a couple would join Richie in the CCP and talk about the session.

Then a few years back they changed to trios, and they'd mix the trios up during the day. It added no value.

Four is just silly.

It's inexperience and nervousness when he swings and misses.

It's brilliant when he plays another risky shot and nails it.

Morons

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love the idea of having a female commentator... just provides a slightly different perspective. But I'm not convinced Lanning is a good choice... she's only 22 and fairly inexperienced. And of course, as an active player, there's a limit to how much she can commit to the gig. Must be difficult to play a game earlier in the day, and then turn around and try and commentate later in the same evening. I can't see how she could be putting her full effort into developing as a commentator.

Why not someone like Lisa Sthalekar? She's recently retired, always struck me as fairly intelligent and articulate and since retiring, I believe she's been working in coaching and development. So she's probably good some reasonable insights.

I think she's on ABC radio. Pretty sure it was her commentating on the Women's game for Grandstand....

with Botham having permission in belting Chappell is he starts up with another one of those long irrelevant storys, that seems to clear the Commentary box

Oh God, wouldn't that be awesome....

"I remember during the 1975 Ashes, we got into the dressing room during the tea break, and while Jeff Thomson was going to have a shower, Dougie Walters got into his kit bag, and he......."

*WHACK*

I think she's on ABC radio. Pretty sure it was her commentating on the Women's game for Grandstand....

There is a former female cricketer on ABC radio who is quite good but I kept missing who it was though.

They had some great South African commentators on the radio last time we played the Saffers, they were hilarious - they didn't suffer fools gladly!

Do not want to hear Kerry O'Keefe ever again, well past his use by now (was never that funny in the first place IMO).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I haven't watched much of the that but is Dean Jones gone ?
I'm sure I still heard Dazzling Danny :rolleyes:
Haven't heard Deano: yeah Morrison is there, but given the score at stumps on day 2, he sounds a little subdued :)

They talk too much

Also doesn't help that the majority of them talk complete rubbish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really dislike how the Nein lot oversell the big moments. So much so that they detract from something great when it happens and it seems less brilliant, the more they dribble on. Just awful.

was de Kock in at the time ?
Classic Warnie, "I've seen a bit of de Kock recently". It's been obvious that when Meg Lanning is on they're trying not to bully her which is good I suppose but it's all pretty bland atm. Tubs is almost listenable now, only taken him 15 years. The only one I really wish would spontaneously combust is Brayshaw, just vapid.

Yes, I think I like Tubby the best. At least he doesn't seem to have a massive ego like the rest of them. I'm pretty sure when they did the Matador Cup they only had two commentators at a time, I thought that worked really well, even if some of them weren't that great. So what if you have the occasional bit of dead air, much better than constant drivel.

cannot stand mark nicholas and brayshaw, they are seriously shithouse.
why don't they have one or two Indian commentators for the tests and maybe a couple of decent pommies for the ODIs?

Nicholas is too much of a crawling sycophant, would actually like him better if he got into the Aussies a bit.
His articles on Cricinfo are much, much better than his commentary. You're right he and Brayshaw would be better if they actually stood for something, they were both solid first class cricketers, have an opinion boys!

So what do we want? What's our TV Commentary dream-team? You're at home and have to watch all 5 days of a big Test. ho do you want? Let's say we have 7-8 commentators. All must be currently commentating regularly somewhere in the world on TV.

Holding
Warne
Benaud
Lawry
Ganguly
Brett Lee
Gavaskar/Vaughn/Tubby
Bumble

His articles on Cricinfo are much, much better than his commentary. You're right he and Brayshaw would be better if they actually stood for something, they were both solid first class cricketers, have an opinion boys!

Nicholas captained at county level - he got to skipper Malcolm Marshall - and knows far more than you'd ever guess but it just seems like anyone who joins Nein gets neined and turns into a prat.

Remove this Banner Ad

Certified Legendary Thread The absolute brilliance that is the C9 commentary team. CC: Brad McNamara

Remove this Banner Ad

Back