Star Wars The Acolyte

Remove this Banner Ad

Critical content creator = grifter.

Unashamed shills receiving merch from Lucasfilm = based.

Having a quick scan of 'Critical Drinker's Youtube page is 90% negative or ranting about various franchises and the state of the movie industry. 10% is recommending shows or programs. Do you think if he flipped the weighting and focussed on finding shows he liked and could recommend he'd get half the views he gets? Outrage and division drives attention and clicks, it's pretty clear.

Star Wars Explained has something like 95k views for their reviews compared to his 1.2m. You could argue that means a lot more people disliked something, or the type of audience who uses. Youtube to form their views on these shows.

I haven't watched any of SWE's reviews of the episodes, for what it's worth.

I did listen to a lot of their and other people's stuff on Andor because I enjoyed it so much. Meanwhile because I see Acolyte as a 6-8/10 sort of show, I'm not engaging much one way or the other.

Why do people watch youtubers discuss a show that you've just watched?

Obviously just me but I don't get it at all.
Same reason we discuss it in here, to think about the show, see different opinions, reflect on the show. Helps with not getting stuck in a purely 'consumption' cycle where you just watch stuff endlessly without ever thinking about it.

Last edited:

Why do people watch youtubers discuss a show that you've just watched?

Obviously just me but I don't get it at all.
Probably because professional critics and the wider media were telling them a show they disliked-to-despised was stunning entertainment.

Same reason we discuss it in here, to think about the show, see different opinions, reflect on the show. Helps with not getting stuck in a purely 'consumption' cycle where you just watch stuff endless without ever thinking about it.

Suspicious Kenan Thompson GIF

Probably because professional critics and the wider media were telling them a show they disliked-to-despised was stunning entertainment.

So make up your own mind? Do you really need some guy sitting in his basement to tell you 'no actually you didn't like that show'.

So make up your own mind? Do you really need some guy sitting in his basement to tell you 'no actually you didn't like that show'.
They probably already have made up their own mind considering the content they are watching.

People may feel they the review and articles lauding a show that they are not enjoying are a form of gaslighting. They may seek other opinions to counter this.

From the little I know of the content creators mentioned in this thread they don't really seem the basement-dwelling type.

By the same logic people should just not consume any kind of review media. That would probably be for the best, then Disney and like would be held truly accountable for the content they produce by being judged and rewarded on how well it is received.

Last edited:
They probably already have considering the content they are watching.

People may feel they the review and articles lauding a show that they are not enjoying are a form of gaslighting. They may seek other opinions to reinforce the way the already feel about something.
Gaslighting. 😂

No one's saying you're wrong for not liking it. In fact The suggestion was if you don't like it, that's fine, move on and find something you do like. You took exception to me suggesting that!

Gaslighting. 😂

No one's saying you're wrong for not liking it. In fact The suggestion was if you don't like it, that's fine, move on and find something you do like. You took exception to me suggesting that!
I HAVE DECIDED THAT ALL WHO DO NOT LIKE THIS STAR WARS SHOW JUST MOVE ON AND FIND SOMETHING ELSE

That is not how the world works.

Unless you are running multiple accounts for this thread, I wasn't even replying to you.

Bit of this reminds me of Mark Ricciuto telling Adelaide fans to support another team if they aren't happy - not much context to be added there.

People in here clearly love or enjoy Star Wars, that's why they are here, and why they keep watching and talking about it.

And when it sucks, it's annoying, because they want it to be better, and know it can be so much better. Which leads to immense frustration expressed via an online forum.

It doesn't mean that they should just 'watch something else' (support another team). They want it to come good, will keep persisting in the hope it does, but be vocal when it is a let down.

I would suggest the number of people that actively hate Star Wars and just come in here to bitch and moan are the tiniest percentage that it isn't even relevant to any discussion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's not how I consume media. Not sure if that's how you do it, but personally i think critically when I watch things.
To be clear you don't watch Youtubers or you do?

Bit of this reminds me of Mark Ricciuto telling Adelaide fans to support another team if they aren't happy - not much context to be added there.

People in here clearly love or enjoy Star Wars, that's why they are here, and why they keep watching and talking about it.

And when it sucks, it's annoying, because they want it to be better, and know it can be so much better. Which leads to immense frustration expressed via an online forum.

It doesn't mean that they should just 'watch something else' (support another team). They want it to come good, will keep persisting in the hope it does, but be vocal when it is a let down.

I would suggest the number of people that actively hate Star Wars and just come in here to bitch and moan are the tiniest percentage that it isn't even relevant to any discussion.
No one has suggested people should stop watching Star Wars, other than a few suggestions that if none of the new content suits then they still have the old movies.

The point was if you didn't like it no one made them watch this particular show. I haven't watched that junior Jedi knights show because it's not aimed at me. I also don't go around shitting on it.

Comparing Star Wars to a footy team is such a strange mentality.

To be clear you don't watch Youtubers or you do?
Not normally, i'm not subscribed to any of Drinker, Mauler, Theory etc.

After I watched the first couple of episodes I went and looked up some videos because I wanted to see if others were picking up how awful the show was as I.

Not normally, i'm not subscribed to any of Drinker, Mauler, Theory etc.

After I watched the first couple of episodes I went and looked up some videos because I wanted to see if others were picking up how awful the show was as I.
Yeah and I get looking into reviews to see if others have the same view as you, I don't get using those reviewers to form your opinion.

This is replying to me is it not?
That was a joke reply to you to leave the thread for discussing the Acolyte because they were discussing what they don't like about the Acolyte. I thought the parallelism to directions xenophobic people give to people from other cultures to leave their country made that clear.

You are now advising people to find something else that they like, i.e. to leave their interest in Star Wars if they don't like the Acolyte.

You made no comment about gaslighting, nor yet about leaving Star Wars fandom. I was replying to someone else.

That was a joke reply to you to leave the thread for discussing the Acolyte because they were discussing what they don't like about the Acolyte. I thought the parallelism to directions xenophobic people give to people from other cultures to leave their country made that clear.

You are now advising people to find something else that they like, i.e. to leave their interest in Star Wars if they don't like the Acolyte.

You made no comment about gaslighting, nor yet about leaving Star Wars fandom. I was replying to someone else.
Weird.

I think it's weird to tell people that if they don't like something about something they enjoy that they should just stop engaging with it.

Like I said weeks ago, weird mentality on a football forum.

I literally listed the very clear, simple and valid comparisons you absolute thread spamming dip shit
What a strange overreaction to a discussion. Leave the personal abuse at the door.

Remove this Banner Ad

Star Wars The Acolyte

Remove this Banner Ad

Back