Star Wars The Acolyte

Remove this Banner Ad

Tony Gilroy is a proven and established writer and through Rogue One has shown he can be brought into a franchise and do great things.

Hiring this random was always going to be a misfire.

Who are they doing this for then, if not for SW fans because the general consensus of this show seems to be poorly received.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's way too much time spent before the bulk plot of the show.

I didn't specify the time spent on each element. Like I said, I don't know the end goal of this series. Adjust as required.

But a different (more conventional) structure would address the prequel within a show issues

i) audience already knows outcomes - leading to loss of suspense​
ii) lack of jeopardy for the characters - we know who survives​

And fix that major characters are killed without us knowing anything about them - so why should we care?

FlowersByIrene thought that the current Star Wars creators are a combination of: (1) untalented, so they can't tell coherent, complex or elevated stories; and (2) utterly terrified of telling a traditional story. I'm leaning heavily towards option 1. Like I said, it's not just poor structure, there's lots of stupid details too. I laughed out loud when I saw the witches line up with up with bows and arrows to attack the Jedis.

We're getting more Star Wars content than ever, I don't understand why it's a problem that some of the content is being driven by people that wouldn't normally take on Star Wars projects?

You've got Dave Filoni "Star Wars is my religion I'm Lucas 2.0" projects. You've got Jon Favreau / JJ Abrams "I was a fan growing up with Star Wars and want to emulate the feel of the original movies" projects. You've got a Rian Johnson "I'm a Star Wars fan but want to put some different twists to it" project (should've had more of this). Now you've got Tony Gilroy and Lesley Headland with "the world of Star Wars seems like a good grounds for storytelling but I'm not bogged down by sticking with a familiar format" projects (and one of those is one of the best pieces of Star Wars media in the whole franchise). They all exist. None are taking away from another. For better or worse Lucasfilm is letting them all exist at the same time.

Not all of it has to be for you. Get over it.
More content does not mean it is good content. As a Port supporter I would be infinitely unhappier if Port played every day.

Star Wars fans are being labelled PrObLeMaTiC for disliking content and communicating it.

Gilroy adapted Andor well within the existing Star Wars IP. Headland has shoehorned her story poorly into the Star Wars universe in a way that openly detracts from Anakin's saga (read: the basis for the entire intellectual property).

People are allowed to not like things and communicate it. Get over it.

Sorry, but again that is bs.

No one is being told they’re being problematic because the are critical of the series. It’s absolute rubbish.

There’s people on this very board saying they don’t like it.

I didn't specify the time spent on each element. Like I said, I don't know the end goal of this series. Adjust as required.

But a different (more conventional) structure would address the prequel within a show issues

And fix that major characters are killed without us knowing anything about them - so why should we care?

FlowersByIrene thought that the current Star Wars creators are a combination of: (1) untalented, so they can't tell coherent, complex or elevated stories; and (2) utterly terrified of telling a traditional story. I'm leaning heavily towards option 1. Like I said, it's not just poor structure, there's lots of stupid details too. I laughed out loud when I saw the witches line up with up with bows and arrows to attack the Jedis.

But I think the point of telling a non-linear story is to challenge you. It becomes a kind of puzzle that you’re continuously having to reassess while still providing a narrative that helps you move from a to b.

The mystery works in that you not only are guessing at what is going to happen, but also what has happened.

I’m sure it could have been told the way you’re suggesting but then where is the mystery?

The Hoodlum Priest I can see nominated for Palme d'Or. That's talent right there. I never said you have to be in the writers field of the genre to write for Star Wars. It's more so the lack of talent from these hires which is the issue.

Sorry, but again that is bs.

No one is being told they’re being problematic because the are critical of the series. It’s absolute rubbish.

There’s people on this very board saying they don’t like it.
I didn't say it was happening in this thread but it is absolutely happening in response to the general fan sentiment.

There has been some very if you don't like it leave flavoured responses in this thread to people critical of the show.

I didn't say it was happening in this thread but it is absolutely happening in response to the general fan sentiment.

There has been some very if you don't like it leave flavoured responses in this thread to people critical of the show.

While I would never tell someone to love it or leave, suggesting it might be time for someone to give Star Wars a break is a perfectly legitimate response, frankly. Particularly if you aren’t happy with anything that’s been made post Lucas and the only enjoyment you get out of it is to complain and poke holes.

Say your favourite restaurant was sold to a new owner and you hate the new menu, new taste, just everything about it. Would you still keep going back to that same restaurant over and over again or would you just move on to something else?

Last edited:

While you're quoting me do you mind answering my question from last week? Particularly since you claimed I was white anting you.

I liked the latest episode. We don't need everything fleshed out in one episode, obviously there is something more sinister here than Mae burning the place down, and we know Osha didn't end up as a Jedi, this was perfectly fine to establish the motivations of the twins and the four main Jedi concerned.

It's a pretty simple story, mind you - twins where they look identical but think completely differently. Maybe in their creation the light and dark sides got split unevenly. And again reinforcing that the Jedi are not all good and wholesome. So in that respect, not exactly groundbreaking.

I thought the two girl actresses did a good job. The leader of the coven had suitable gravitas, too.

But maybe I won't find any decent discussion of it here.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

While I would never tell someone to love it or leave, suggesting it might be time for someone to give Star Wars a break is a perfectly legitimate response, frankly. Particularly if you aren’t happy with anything that’s been made post Lucas and the only enjoyment you get out of it is to complain and poke holes.

Say your favourite restaurant was sold to a new owner and you hate the new menu, new taste, just everything about it. Would you still keep going back to that same restaurant over and over again or would you just move on to something else?
I hate nearly everything about my football club at the moment. Should/will I just move on to something else?

The obvious answer is no. I have an emotional attachment that is important to me. There are clear actions that could be taken to begin to rectify the existing problems, it's likely a matter of time. That doesn't mean I should stop advocating for the sacking of Hinkley, Koch, Richardson, etc.

People feel the same way about Star Wars.

I don't feel a need to go through your post history but I'm sure there would complaints about facets of the AFL. Perhaps it's time to pack it in and follow Broomball or Extreme Ironing.

What other "restaurant" sells Star Wars?

I hate nearly everything about my football club at the moment. Should/will I just move on to something else?

Yes, unless your livelihood is dependent on it.

If you need your AFL club, Star Wars, or whatever completely optional form of entertainment to be suitable for yourself to feel good, then that's a deeper issue.

I liked the latest episode. We don't need everything fleshed out in one episode, obviously there is something more sinister here than Mae burning the place down, and we know Osha didn't end up as a Jedi, this was perfectly fine to establish the motivations of the twins and the four main Jedi concerned.

It's a pretty simple story, mind you - twins where they look identical but think completely differently. Maybe in their creation the light and dark sides got split unevenly. And again reinforcing that the Jedi are not all good and wholesome. So in that respect, not exactly groundbreaking.

I thought the two girl actresses did a good job. The leader of the coven had suitable gravitas, too.

But maybe I won't find any decent discussion of it here.
Sadly doesn't seem like it.

Which one are you referring to?
Andor.

This series is fine. It's not spectacular. It's not suddenly worse because it's got diverse writers though.

Yes, unless your livelihood is dependent on it.

If you need your AFL club, Star Wars, or whatever completely optional form of entertainment to be suitable for yourself to feel good, then that's a deeper issue.
I'm sorry, did I also write "Because of this I am unable to see the point of life and think ending it all is my only remaining option"?. My mistake.

I figured people on a football forum would understand the point I was making.

Welcome to the internet.

So even in sport you could ignore the current unappealing content and just stick to what you like? I don't think this is the win you think it is bud.

So even in sport you could ignore the current unappealing content and just stick to what you like? I don't think this is the win you think it is bud.
I didn't equivalise movie franchises with sporting teams but in the end they are a closer comparison than either to restaurants (an analogy you seemed to agree with in liking FP's post).

They are just different forms of entertainment. The old content is there for you to enjoy, right? If you feel differently FP might think you have some deeper issues.

I didn't equivalise movie franchises with sporting teams but in the end they are a closer comparison than either to restaurants (an analogy you seemed to agree with in liking FP's post).

They are just different forms of entertainment. The old content is there for you to enjoy, right? If you feel differently FP might think you have some deeper issues.
Surely if we're going for a very loose sporting teams analogy the equivalent is AFL and AFLW, (or even AFL teams investing in Netball teams or whatever).

You're a long term Port fan / Star Wars fan. You've got old content but you've also got the men's team still playing the same style (lol Hinkley... Just pretend in this case) in the same comp, and you've got new Star Wars made in the style of the old ones by the types of writers of the old ones - Mandalorian, Ahsoka, Bad Batch.

Port / Star Wars has ADDED TO (not replaced) this with an AFLW team / content from new writers. This is designed to bring in new fans. As an old fan, it might appeal to you too, if so, happy days. But if it doesn't it doesn't have to. You've still got your "traditional" team / series after all.

But whinging about it is dropkick behaviour in both situations. Just ignore it if it upsets you so much. Stick to the stuff you know.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back