Star Wars The Acolyte

Remove this Banner Ad

Didn’t think they’d stick the landing on this series but man was I wrong.

I’ll be the contrarian, I guess, and say that last episode was ****ing great! Don’t know what the hell you want from Star Wars but if you didn’t get at least something from that episode it might be time to call it a day and move on.

Space chases, lightsaber duels, aliens, Force powers, drama, questionable motivations, dumb writing, silly humour - lore, lore, lore!

Even a few cameos for those who need that kind of thing.

Magnificent. I’m hoping for a second season and hoping the hate watchers can find a life now the season is over.

Yeah, the ending stuck. It helped to save a middling series.

And - oddly enough - the best scene wasn't the lightsabre duel, which fortunately was terrific. It was the conversation between Vernestra and the Senator. Finally some good dialogue and it was great at explaining the hubris and corruption of the Jedi.

Importantly, an avenue for Season 2 but also can be ended here and it's fine.

The space chase through the ring was great cinematography, lightsaber bleeding from blue to red (putting aside my frustration with that as a canon thing) was awesome to see, Plagueis cameo, Yoda cameo, a broader plot thread with the Senate v the Jedi, so much to take from that episode, and a far more compelling explanation than last episode as to the tension between Sol and Osha.

Thought it really stuck the landing.

I’ll be the contrarian, I guess, and say that last episode was ****ing great!

It's not contrarian if you're posting after the same old three posters who post the same old shit no matter what.

I’ll be the contrarian, I guess, and say that last episode was ****ing great! Don’t know what the hell you want from Star Wars but if you didn’t get at least something from that episode it might be time to call it a day and move on.

Space chases, lightsaber duels, aliens, Force powers, drama, questionable motivations, dumb writing, silly humour - lore, lore, lore!

Even a few cameos for those who need that kind of thing.

Magnificent. I’m hoping for a second season and hoping the hate watchers can find a life now the season is over.

Glad you enjoyed it!

One thing that stood out was your mention that "questionable motivations" is a hallmark of Star Wars? I wonder what you're thinking there? I can't really think of any questionable motivations in the core 6 films and if anything, Star Wars can be criticised for having very simplistic.. but therefore direct and obvious... motivations.

Overall, the finale was good, for sure, but it didn't elevate the series as a whole to memorable. If you didn't like the chase through the rings, the final Sol vs Qimir duel, or the political machinations which was a great primer on why the Jedi failed eventually, then there is no pleasing you. Sorry not sorry.

Time to unwatch this thread only to be sucked in when the next Star Wars series is deemed too woke by the usual suspects.

And - oddly enough - the best scene wasn't the lightsabre duel, which fortunately was terrific. It was the conversation between Vernestra and the Senator. Finally some good dialogue and it was great at explaining the hubris and corruption of the Jedi.

There’s nothing better than a powerfully written scene, delivered with passion and care by a talented actor to some dude with a hairy fish mask on and it all makes sense!

That’s Star Wars!

Glad you enjoyed it!

One thing that stood out was your mention that "questionable motivations" is a hallmark of Star Wars? I wonder what you're thinking there? I can't really think of any questionable motivations in the core 6 films and if anything, Star Wars can be criticised for having very simplistic.. but therefore direct and obvious... motivations.

Han Solo shot first in the first half hour of the very first core film.

Exactly why are the Jedi "corrupt", outside this show of course?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Come on mate. Don't be a d*ck. Explain your point if you have one. How are the Jedi "corrupt" in film Canon ahead of the event of Phantom Menance?

Don't be a dick he says then says that. :tearsofjoy:

I don't understand the premise of your question of how they are corrupt in the films before The Phantom Menace when there are no films before The Phantom Menace.

The Jedi are an order who take children from their families to be raised in their customs and ideals. The Jedi are blinded by their dogma and beliefs and it leads to their downfall. Yoda talks about it in AOTC and ROTS. Check those films out if you haven't seen them.

As for your other question around 'how can someone morally ambiguous be considered morally ambiguous? That's just who he is' I don't even know what you're trying to say.

Don't be a dick he says then says that. :tearsofjoy:

I don't understand the premise of your question of how they are corrupt in the films before The Phantom Menace when there are no films before The Phantom Menace.

The Jedi are an order who take children from their families to be raised in their customs and ideals. The Jedi are blinded by their dogma and beliefs and it leads to their downfall. Yoda talks about it in AOTC and ROTS. Check those films out if you haven't seen them.

As for your other question around 'how can someone morally ambiguous be considered morally ambiguous? That's just who he is' I don't even know what you're trying to say.

As suspected. You don't have a point.

The position of the Acolyte is that the Jedi are "corrupt". None of the things you said has anything to do with "corruption". The Acolyte created "corruption" out of thin air and to suit the agenda put forward by the show.

The Jedi may be stuck in their ways. They may be outdated. They may be complacent. But I don't know how you can look at the Jedi Council in Episode 1 and say oh yeah here's a bunch of unethical corrupt characters. If anything they are the opposite. Despite Anakin being a clear outlier and a potential chosen one they stick to their ways and value the standards they have eatablishes over millennia over a sugar hit. The antithesis of corruption.

As for the "taking kids" line.. comeon. This isn't a real world drama. It's a sci fi, it's clearly an accepted part of the society of Star Wars and the Acolytes critique of it is another instance of adding modern day contemporary values to a Sci fi fantasy story.

And as for your last point what are you even talking about. The point raised above was not "morally ambiguous" characters it was characters with questionable motivations. Han Solo is morally ambiguous. His motivations are not.

The criticisms of Mae and Osha in the Acolyte are not that they are morally ambiguous it is that their motivations are illogical and flip flop without influence from the narrative.

Seriously... you accuse me of not understanding Star Wars.

As suspected. You don't have a point.

The position of the Acolyte is that the Jedi are "corrupt". None of the things you said has anything to do with "corruption". The Acolyte created "corruption" out of thin air and to suit the agenda put forward by the show.

The Jedi may be stuck in their ways. They may be outdated. They may be complacent. But I don't know how you can look at the Jedi Council in Episode 1 and say oh yeah here's a bunch of unethical corrupt characters. If anything they are the opposite. Despite Anakin being a clear outlier and a potential chosen one they stick to their ways and value the standards they have eatablishes over millennia over a sugar hit. The antithesis of corruption.

As for the "taking kids" line.. comeon. This isn't a real world drama. It's a sci fi, it's clearly an accepted part of the society of Star Wars and the Acolytes critique of it is another instance of adding modern day contemporary values to a Sci fi fantasy story.

And as for your last point what are you even talking about. The point raised above was not "morally ambiguous" characters it was characters with questionable motivations. Han Solo is morally ambiguous. His motivations are not.

The criticisms of Mae and Osha in the Acolyte are not that they are morally ambiguous it is that their motivations are illogical and flip flop without influence from the narrative.

Seriously... you accuse me of not understanding Star Wars.
You do realise until we see Yoda at the end we haven't actually encountered the High Council?

Solo is motivated by greed and personal satisfaction, if you can't identify that as morally questionable then I have bigger concerns about you than I already did.

As I said, time to move on.

You do realise until we see Yoda at the end we haven't actually encountered the High Council?

Solo is motivated by greed and personal satisfaction, if you can't identify that as morally questionable then I have bigger concerns about you than I already did.

As I said, time to move on.

I think we're interpreting the term "questionable motivations" differently.. if it meant morally ambiguous sure. But I didn't interpret it that way, mainly because there are no morally ambiguous characters in the Acolyte. They're all pretty clearly awful. But if that's what Kelly meant then that's fine.

As to the not seeing the council... that's the point. The position above was that the Jedi order was "corrupt" and it was "so good" to see the beginnings of that play out in this show. But as you've just said... we haven't seen the high council we haven't seen the order outside these characters which are created for this show so why would it be "good" to see the beginnings of the criticism of the corrupt Jedi, as if the Jedi are corrupt outside this show. I don't understand that position and disagree that they are.

I think we're interpreting the term "questionable motivations" differently.. if it meant morally ambiguous sure. But I didn't interpret it that way, mainly because there are no morally ambiguous characters in the Acolyte. They're all pretty clearly awful. But if that's what Kelly meant then that's fine.

As to the not seeing the council... that's the point. The position above was that the Jedi order was "corrupt" and it was "so good" to see the beginnings of that play out in this show. But as you've just said... we haven't seen the high council we haven't seen the order outside these characters which are created for this show so why would it be "good" to see the beginnings of the criticism of the corrupt Jedi, as if the Jedi are corrupt outside this show. I don't understand that position and disagree that they are.
I think you have a different definition of corrupt to the one being used in this discussion.

I think you have a different definition of corrupt to the one being used in this discussion.
That must be it. I must not know the simple definition of the term "corruption".

It's okay to admit you got one wrong and that your perception of the show might be a litttttle bit influenced by your aversion to anything you perceive as part of the "culture war".

Anyway, this got more confrontational than I wanted. I just didn't appreciate getting told I didn't "like Star Wars as much as I think I did". Let's move on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Star Wars The Acolyte

Remove this Banner Ad

Back