Star Wars The Acolyte

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes very equitable to what you said to me and have said to me over a long period of time.
a long period of time, I disliked a few posts and have responded directly to about 5 posts ever, one where you cracked the sooks because my soccer team beat yours šŸ˜‚

get your hand off it and go touch some grass before you reach 150k posts this time tomorrow

a long period of time, I disliked a few posts and have responded directly to about 5 posts ever, one where you cracked the sooks because my soccer team beat yours šŸ˜‚

get your hand off it and go touch some grass before you reach 150k posts this time tomorrow

I genuinely have 0 memory of this. Who is your football team?

You went on a spree for months of disliking almost every post of mine you came across until you were spoken to, and have been quite personally rude to me on a number of occasions. Me calmly discussing something with someone who has been quite evidently worked up and personal with me in response and me finally getting to a point of calling him a flog is not the same thing, but nice to see you immediately pounce on it as some sort of evidence - presumably - that I'm a hypocrite.

Your fixation on my post count as some sort of evidence of.. something? Is also a bit strange. Your obsession with me is rather concerning.

With the character Mog I was thinking they must have said to him, "You're a Jedi but a really pathetic one, and we'll give you really bad hair to make to you look ridiculous" (like we did with Torbin).

But no, they just said "Wear this Jedi outfit and play yourself".

One of the worst characters in Star Wars, felt so out of place. Everyone else is being serious and this bloke sounded like an intern who just walked off the back lot with their Starbucks order.

We're all at fault equally for that. Let's be better and debate better. I enjoy all POVs on the actual show The Acolyte, if we can generally stick to that more than senseless bickering, that'd be nice. At times it can't be helped, bickering will happen, as long as we right the ship again all is good.

Agreed.

That's one of the silliest scenes in all of Star Wars but The Acolyte managed to trump it. At least we see what happened to Luke and it's explained. He gets sucked into a vent, initially descends vertically, then he gets a soft landing as the vent curves to horizontal like a playground slide.

The vent in The Acolyte is at right angles to a sheer cliff face. There's no attempt to explain how Mae survived that huge drop and being sucked into a narrow pipe. But it's typical of the show. For every episode you could probably point out 10 stupid things like this. Just on episode 8

Sol wants to shoot Mae's ship - because reasons.
The beaver disables Sol's ship - because reasons.
Sol can detect Mae from a distance but not nearby.
Sol previously had to climb a giant wall to get into the fortress. Now he knows a back door. But Osha has to hot wire the elevator to get in. Greenhead just waves her fingers to open the door.
Osha attacks Mae - because reasons.
Osha, the failed Padawan, can do a mind strangle on a Jedi Master?
Mae survived a massive drop by being sucked into an air vent?
Mae agrees to have her memories wiped - because reasons.
Yoda was around all this time but not involved?
I feel like there's a couple of genuine questions mixed in with ones that are adequately explained or interpreted and ones that are pretty common when it comes to TV shows.

Adequately explained/interpreted... Osha can kill Sol because it is explained that as a creation of the force, she may be one of the most powerful force users around, and tapping into the dark side unleashes her full power. Also, I interpreted it as Sol not resisting out of guilt.

Osha attacked Mae because at that point she still blamed her for her family's death, she hadn't learnt the truth and hadn't embraced the dark side, but her anger was always on the surface.

I also think Sol wasn't trying to destroy Mae, he was trying to disable her ship.

Yoda doesn't have to be involved in every decision, particularly when he was purposely left out of the process.

The common ones in TV... Once Osha fixed the door, Vernestra was able to simply open the doors for further use, though it isn't explained. Likewise, Sol had to climb initially, but by the end of his experience 16 years ago, he'd been through the whole structure, it had been damaged etc, so there were other ways in, but again, not explained.

What could be genuine gripes

Mae agrees to have her memories wiped so she can't be used against Osha, but they really needed to explain why that was the only choice better. It was pretty abrupt.

I reckon there's something on the cutting room floor explaining why the tracker stopped Sol from shooting down Mae, but it was probably something to do with tipping over to evil.

The air vent seems unlikely.

But people raging about the show breaking lore and canon are being ridiculous, it did none of those things. The amount of hate this show got before it aired shows there are people with agendas that just watch Star Wars to hate on it now. It's sad.

I feel like there's a couple of genuine questions mixed in with ones that are adequately explained or interpreted and ones that are pretty common when it comes to TV shows.

Adequately explained/interpreted... Osha can kill Sol because it is explained that as a creation of the force, she may be one of the most powerful force users around, and tapping into the dark side unleashes her full power. Also, I interpreted it as Sol not resisting out of guilt.

Osha attacked Mae because at that point she still blamed her for her family's death, she hadn't learnt the truth and hadn't embraced the dark side, but her anger was always on the surface.

I also think Sol wasn't trying to destroy Mae, he was trying to disable her ship.

Yoda doesn't have to be involved in every decision, particularly when he was purposely left out of the process.

The common ones in TV... Once Osha fixed the door, Vernestra was able to simply open the doors for further use, though it isn't explained. Likewise, Sol had to climb initially, but by the end of his experience 16 years ago, he'd been through the whole structure, it had been damaged etc, so there were other ways in, but again, not explained.

Mae agrees to have her memories wiped so she can't be used against Osha, but they really needed to explain why that was the only choice better. It was pretty abrupt.

I reckon there's something on the cutting room floor explaining why the tracker stopped Sol from shooting down Mae, but it was probably something to do with tipping over to evil.

But people raging about the show breaking lore and canon are being ridiculous, it did none of those things. The amount of hate this show got before it aired shows there are people with agendas that just watch Star Wars to hate on it now. It's sad.
Ahh Jack, your ability to see gold in garbage when it comes to Disney Star Wars never ceases to amaze me. Can you invite me round next time you do a TLJ + The Acolyte marathon.

What's your viewing order, release or chronological? Or do a cut version, see Mae's rise to power, cut to Rey's training, back for Osha's fall to the dark side followed by Dark Rey to finish it off? Machete Style.

Credit for running through the list. I don't agree with your interpretation of events. But my point was that every episode had this stupidity. From episode 1.

Flames on the outside of a spaceship - in the vacuum of space. Then she put it out with a fire extinguisher.
Dangerous Jedi killing criminals easily escaping from a prison ship.
In the vast emptiness of space there just happens to be a nearby planet with a breathable atmosphere.
The totally out of control spaceship crash lands and Osha survives unhurt. Lucky she put on her seat belt. Only for her to fall off the edge of a cliff.
Kung Fu and knife fights when they can Force push.

The set design looks like they borrowed it from Star Trek series 1. The dialog is often a series of platitudes that you might find in a high school drama production. And delivered by the actors like it was a rehearsal run through.

Credit for running through the list. I don't agree with your interpretation of events. But my point was that every episode had this stupidity. From episode 1.

Flames on the outside of a spaceship - in the vacuum of space. Then she put it out with a fire extinguisher.
Dangerous Jedi killing criminals easily escaping from a prison ship.
In the vast emptiness of space there just happens to be a nearby planet with a breathable atmosphere.
The totally out of control spaceship crash lands and Osha survives unhurt. Lucky she put on her seat belt. Only for her to fall off the edge of a cliff.
Kung Fu and knife fights when they can Force push.

The set design looks like they borrowed it from Star Trek series 1. The dialog is often a series of platitudes that you might find in a high school drama production. And delivered by the actors like it was a rehearsal run through.
Most of these are pretty standard Star Wars fare (nearby planet with atmosphere, surviving crashes etc). Plot convenience isn't unique to Star Wars. It just feels a lot of people are hate-watching Star Wars and holding it to a standard that never existed. Now, I'm not saying it's not open for criticism, but I also know I am watching swashbuckling fantasy, not prestige drama (Andor aside). I reckon all of the criticisms of Acolyte could be found in the Mandalorian, but that comes in for far less criticism because it's not helmed by a lesbian or have a black woman in the lead.

I agree with you on the set design, mentioned in my initial post it looked disappointingly cheap (I referenced Red Dwarf instead of Star Trek though :p ). Don't agree on the acting and while the dialogue wasn't at Andor levels, I thought it fit perfectly well in the world of Star Wars and certainly above the likes of Ahsoka, Boba Fett.

Last edited:
I reckon all of the criticisms of Acolyte could be found in the Mandalorian, but that comes in for far less criticism because it's not helmed by a lesbian or have a black woman in the lead.
Correlation does not imply causation.

Mandalorian S3 was widely criticised after the success of the first 2 seasons. RT audience score 50%.

TBOBF was widely criticised despite starring Temuera Morrison who is generally lauded by fans in the role. RT audience score 49%.

Bad writing and execution is just bad writing and execution.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Correlation does not imply causation.

Mandalorian S3 was widely criticised after the success of the first 2 seasons. RT audience score 50%.

TBOBF was widely criticised despite starring Temuera Morrison who is generally lauded by fans in the role. RT audience score 49%.

Bad writing and execution is just bad writing and execution.
Sometimes a pile of shite is just a pile of shite.

Alright

Started this last night. I'm familiar with the spoilers, plot points, and I was happy to indulge myself in 'Disney ruined Star Wars' rhetoric, so I am expecting Obi-Boba levels of trash. I avoided watching during the release as I had low interest and wanted the shitfights between haters and toxic positivity to die down too. I haven't posted in this thread yet as I guess I attach more weight to things people here say as y'all aren't as random as other nameless faceless internet posters.

I didn't mind the first episode at all. Quite decent really. Guess I'll keep going for now. See if I make it past the dreaded third episode. I want to try and get to episode 5 as the only consistent thing I've heard about the show is the Saber fight is pretty good, best of modern star wars.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

Toxic positivity. :tearsofjoy:

"Quite decent really" basically summarises the positive comments some of us have made about the show, with the rest of the thread dealing with people hate watching. I don't actually think anyone has said it's more than maybe a 7.5/10 show.

Toxic positivity. :tearsofjoy:

"Quite decent really" basically summarises the positive comments some of us have made about the show, with the rest of the thread dealing with people hate watching. I don't actually think anyone has said it's more than maybe a 7.5/10 show.

Well like I said I haven't read here. I've seen around other places on the internet and there's definitely the subculture of people who think it's an 11/10, even better the Boba One Fettobi which they think is a 9, and Andor which they would have as a 7.

Well like I said I haven't read here. I've seen around other places on the internet and there's definitely the subculture of people who think it's an 11/10, even better the Boba One Fettobi which they think is a 9, and Andor which they would have as a 7.

Ok..

I think what's more likely is that there's a 'subculture' of people pushing back on the review bombing and hate watching this show has received and are trying to espouse the good things about it, which then comes across as them raving about it. I don't think I've seen anyone saying it's the 'OMGSH BEST SW EVARR' or anything like that, just people focussing on the good elements of the show to counterbalance those only focussing on the negative. But I guess I'll take your word for it.

That 81% doesn't mean people are giving it an 8.1/10 though does it? Just means that 81% of reviewers think it's better than 5/10?
Yeah, just winding up the haters (mind you, I think it has to be above 60 to be fresh). Metacritic has it at 67.

For mine, it's better than all but Andor but that says a lot about the middling quality of Star Wars TV. Mando season 1 would have been higher but I didn't much rate seasons two or three so it falls behind overall for now. Kenobi was just OK, Ahsoka a bit meh, Boba Fett poor. I want another Andor level show but I'll settle for a few Acolyte level ones.

Solid 5/10 show.

Some decent set pieces and action.
Odd technical choices.
Poor writing and dialogue.
Interesting ideas.
Poor execution overall.

A week after finishing it. I haven't thought about it till I got reminded of it on my YouTube recommendation list.

On a list of SW Disney live action shows it's perfectly average.

Andor
Mandalorian S1 and S2
----
Ahsoka
Acolyte
Obi Wan
Mando S3
Boba Fett

Remove this Banner Ad

Star Wars The Acolyte

Remove this Banner Ad

Back