Star Wars The Acolyte

Remove this Banner Ad

Obi Wan has the part where they escape the super secret deadly clandestine imperial base with the little girl hiding under a long coat.

How anyone can not have it last or second last?

Obi-Wan second last. At least it had Mark Hamill and some of the sets were OK. But in general it was garbage.

The main plot was nonsense. It revolves around Reva who wants to get revenge on Vader killing Jedis, men, women and children - by killing Jedis, men, women and children - in order to get close to Vader and kill him, which we already know will fail. Apparently Obi-Wan is now an idiot, who abandons his one job of looking after Luke, and a little girl is smarter than him.

Little Leia hiding under the long coat is up there with the unintentional comedy moments of The Acolyte. The scene where Leia is running like a toddler to escape two kidnappers is also hilarious. Other stupid moments - Reva got stabbed in the guts and spine twice and recovered. There was an impregnable laser gate that they could have just walked around. Characters teleporting. An Empire battleship with dozens of fighters not taking out the rebel escape ship.

Andor was highly refreshing and is a guiding light to how SW "could" reach other heights.....but it had some big flaws imo. Very slow and a lack of action....not lightsabers and force users, but actual action.

Not that this is the thread to continue this discussion, but respectfully disagree.

Andor wasn't anything groundbreaking in the sense of good TV. It was a perfectly executed show, perfectly acted, written and scored and knew exactly what it wanted to be.

A show that stripped away the cartoonish elements of the good vs evil in Star Wars and portrayed the Empire as the evil organisation it was. What it brought to the table that was new, was the viewpoint of regular folk who didn't have use of the force or lightsabers and were ultimately the ones who were the main factor in the empire eventually falling.

Was a war type thriller, with a tonne of depth and excellent character depth. Couldn't call it slow at all.

Star Wars at its core is pretty shallow space wizards battling stuff, but providing there is a single focus, executed well, no reason you can't branch out beyond the standard popcorn fare of Star Wars. Shame is most of the stuff produced suffers from an identity crisis OR just plain seems likes a studio enforce rush job/crash grab.

Best thing about Andor too (and this is in no reference to Acolyte at all) that if you don't enjoy that genre of storytelling either - it doesn't impact the flow or enjoyment of the Star Wars main saga.

Obi Wan has the part where they escape the super secret deadly clandestine imperial base with the little girl hiding under a long coat.

How anyone can not have it last or second last?

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk
At least the characters in Kenobi were interesting or had a base of being interesting. Reva aside.

But yes, it was pretty terrible.

At least the characters in Kenobi were interesting or had a base of being interesting. Reva aside.

But yes, it was pretty terrible.
Black woman aside you say? Sensing a theme here..

It’s amazing how often the problem is female Jedi, black stormtroopers, black Inquisitors, black female Force users, ‘lezzo witches’ (as so eloquently put in this thread). Not for nefarious reasons, obviously, just unlucky.
Just wild coincidence.

Black woman aside you say? Sensing a theme here..

It’s amazing how often the problem is female Jedi, black stormtroopers, black Inquisitors, black female Force users, ‘lezzo witches’ (as so eloquently put in this thread). Not for nefarious reasons, obviously, just unlucky.

Checked out of this thread for days because of how ****ing embarrassing it continued to be. Take a peak back and yep what a ****ing surprise, the same common denominators. As you’ve always said Jack, Star Wars fans hey. Laughable stuff.

Didn't enjoy or rate the Acolyte as a whole, but some of the culture war discussion used to criticize it has been piss poor.

As someone who loved the Clone Wars and Rebels, Filoni deserves far more criticism than Headland anyway IMO.

Checked out of this thread for days because of how ****ing embarrassing it continued to be. Take a peak back and yep what a ****ing surprise, the same common denominators. As you’ve always said Jack, Star Wars fans hey. Laughable stuff.
I just don’t understand why these people hate watch Star Wars. Disney ain’t changing its approach so, if you don’t like it, leave it and cherish the earlier films. Go fight your war against woke somewhere else (as an aside, these culture warriors yearning for Lucas’ original vision wouldn’t be any more welcome with Lucas than Disney, he was a big ol’ lefty himself).

I was an adult when the prequels came out, I’m acutely aware of Star Wars not always being made solely for me. I can take the quality, leave the poor or not made for me while still acknowledging its place in Star Wars.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just don’t understand why these people hate watch Star Wars. Disney ain’t changing its approach so, if you don’t like it, leave it and cherish the earlier films. Go fight your war against woke somewhere else (as an aside, these culture warriors yearning for Lucas’ original vision wouldn’t be any more welcome with Lucas than Disney, he was a big ol’ lefty himself).

I was an adult when the prequels came out, I’m acutely aware of Star Wars not always being made solely for me. I can take the quality, leave the poor or not made for me while still acknowledging its place in Star Wars.
Content that is currently considered canon affects everything in Star Wars. People watch it because the are not original trilogy/prequel trilogy/Mandalorian/Acolyte fans, they are Star Wars fans.

If Disney are interested in making money, i.e. performing their duty for shareholders, they will absolutely change their approach if the audience is disengaging from one of the largest franchises in the history of media.

Disliking any of their content is not synonymous with waging a war against wokeness and it is divisive to declare this.

Star Wars not "being made solely" for you doesn't make that content immune from criticism if it is poor. I don't understand this mentality for anything other than specific age-group targeted content.

Just wild coincidence.
I don't think it's a coincidence at all. I think those characters are designed with DEI first and logic and ability second. Irs weird that when you values someones race and identity over their ability or the story, you end up with a shit story. What a shock... DEI doesn't work, welcome to what everyone who isn't braindead has known for the past decade.

They won’t, because the people who hate their products watch and promote it regardless.
The Acolyte was out of the top 10 ratings (I think Nielson) for streaming series by around episode 6. More people were watching Bridgerton seasons 1 (2020) and 2 (2022) of Bridgerton than the Acolyte.

I don't think it's a coincidence at all. I think those characters are designed with DEI first and logic and ability second. Irs weird that when you values someones race and identity over their ability or the story, you end up with a shit story. What a shock... DEI doesn't work, welcome to what everyone who isn't braindead has known for the past decade.
Star Wars is a fantasy set in a galaxy far, far away involving aliens. Explain to me how the colour of the skin affects the character in any way, shape or form. Mae/Osha’s race is Brendak.

The only one focused on race and gender is you. ‘DEI doesn’t work’ for you because you won’t accept it I’d suggest you reflect on that but I wouldn’t be holding my breath.

What does Mae/Osha's ethnicity have to do with the story? How does it impact it?

Star Wars is a fantasy set in a galaxy far, far away involving aliens. Explain to me how the colour of the skin affects the character in any way, shape or form. Mae/Osha’s race is Brendak.

The only one focused on race and gender is you. ‘DEI doesn’t work’ for you because you won’t accept it I’d suggest you reflect on that but I wouldn’t be holding my breath.
It doesn't affect Star Wars story at all. That's why no one has issues with characters like Mace, Lando, Leia, Asoka etc.

What it does affect is real life. And when the people creating the stories think more about the race and gender fo the characters they are creating than the stories they are creating... it ends up with awful stories.

When you switch your brain on you'll understand this.

Diversity, equity and inclusion… you know, those horrible ideals of including others in society. Only applies to people who are not white, straight and male but is totally not racist, homophobic or sexist. It’s a Trump adjacent talking point.
The only racist and sexist people are the ones who think you need to be a certain race or sex to get a movie role... I.e DEI peoponents.

Remove this Banner Ad

Star Wars The Acolyte

Remove this Banner Ad

Back