Star Wars The Acolyte

Remove this Banner Ad

Whatever your opinion on The Acolyte, the gist of the article is correct. Star Wars fans are toxic and they are going to kill live content, at which point I am sure they will whinge and moan that the only new Star Wars being produced is cartoons and books. It's not enough to simply not watch and let viewing numbers and critical response allow products to be quietly cancelled. If a show ticks certain boxes (gender, sexuality, race), they turn feral, abuse the writers, abuse the actors, rage that Ki Adi Mundi's age not correlating with a non-canon comic book has ruined the saga forever.

There are plenty of talented actors and directors out there that would likely love to make a Star Wars movie or TV show but if the choice is between making something with creative freedom or being hounded by a bunch of shitcampaigners behind a keyboard, if you know anything bold or different is going to torn apart, it's easy to see them taking the more creatively rewarding option. And Star Wars will be left with a bunch of mediocre product featuring that character from that earlier thing you liked.

The modern age of streaming makes it difficult for shows to find their voice, it's immediate massive viewing figures or cancellation, particularly for something as expensive as sci-fi. How many great shows of the past would have been cancelled before thriving in seasons two or three under today's model? The Acolyte explored a different timeframe from the Skywalkers, had some interesting ideas, its cancellation isn't a win for fans. It's just another sign Star Wars could be about to become a sad niche product retreading the same old ground over and over.

Whatever your opinion on The Acolyte, the gist of the article is correct. Star Wars fans are toxic and they are going to kill live content, at which point I am sure they will whinge and moan that the only new Star Wars being produced is cartoons and books. It's not enough to simply not watch and let viewing numbers and critical response allow products to be quietly cancelled. If a show ticks certain boxes (gender, sexuality, race), they turn feral, abuse the writers, abuse the actors, rage that Ki Adi Mundi's age not correlating with a non-canon comic book has ruined the saga forever.

There are plenty of talented actors and directors out there that would likely love to make a Star Wars movie or TV show but if the choice is between making something with creative freedom or being hounded by a bunch of shitcampaigners behind a keyboard, if you know anything bold or different is going to torn apart, it's easy to see them taking the more creatively rewarding option. And Star Wars will be left with a bunch of mediocre product featuring that character from that earlier thing you liked.

The modern age of streaming makes it difficult for shows to find their voice, it's immediate massive viewing figures or cancellation, particularly for something as expensive as sci-fi. How many great shows of the past would have been cancelled before thriving in seasons two or three under today's model? The Acolyte explored a different timeframe from the Skywalkers, had some interesting ideas, its cancellation isn't a win for fans. It's just another sign Star Wars could be about to become a sad niche product retreading the same old ground over and over.
Or they could just... make good content.

Disney are literally cutting down on their content across the board and have even removed Willow from the platform because they want to make money and not just throw good money after bad. If you believe they're just going to keep writing blank cheques for Star Wars content you're just as deluded.

Disney are literally cutting down on their content across the board and have even removed Willow from the platform because they want to make money and not just throw good money after bad. If you believe they're just going to keep writing blank cheques for Star Wars content you're just as deluded.
The question is, were numbers down because neckbeards revolted against woke Disney or because casual viewers found it to be not a very good show?

It’s more the latter imo.

The question is, were numbers down because neckbeards revolted against woke Disney or because casual viewers found it to be not a very good show?

It’s more the latter imo.

But then when there is a good show like Andor the casual viewer doesn't watch it either? So my point that Disney will stop making as much live SW content is kind of relevant.

If you believe Disney is going to stop making live action Star Wars content because the fans are toxic there's a Nigerian prince who can make them keep making Star Wars if you send him 5 grand.
No, the point is toxic fans might make talented filmmakers and actors second guess getting involved in a Star Wars project. Ultimately, you might just be left with mediocre filmmakers or Filoni rehashing characters you liked from that film you once liked. Once it's vanilla enough, the lack of viewer interest will do the rest.

The fact is aside from season two Mando, Disney has failed, failed and failed hard, to provide any sort of satisfactory fan service for legacy fans. There is nothing inherently wrong with that and it can be done well, not tacky or gimmicky.

If they managed that there would be more goodwill to original content, but instead they've deliberately antagonised the fans as have their shills, and put fans offside.

Marvel is now seeing the value of giving fans what they want to recover goodwill, when will Star Wars?

Andor is easily the best reviewed so it could overcome mediocre ratings in the hope of increasing the numbers for a new season, but acolyte, as much as the crybabies won't wanna admit it, was reviewed far less favourably. Not enough to overcome the ratings.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

No, the point is toxic fans might make talented filmmakers and actors second guess getting involved in a Star Wars project. Ultimately, you might just be left with mediocre filmmakers or Filoni rehashing characters you liked from that film you once liked. Once it's vanilla enough, the lack of viewer interest will do the rest.
I think upper management does that more than a minority of toxic fans.

Tony Gilroy hasn't been deterred from creating Andor. Or quality actors 'second guessing'. Diego Luna, Stellan Skarsgård, Denise Gough, Genevieve O'Reilly, Anton Lesser, Fiona Shaw, Ebon Moss-Bachrach, Andy Serkis.

This wasn't vanilla. It was ****ing epic!

1724743138925.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pre Disney Lucasfilm wouldn't have cancelled acolyte after one season lol.

That's the great irony.

Yep. TCW was pretty underwhelming the first two seasons then really hit its straps. Would have been cancelled after a season or two like Resistance was.

Yep. TCW was pretty underwhelming the first two seasons then really hit its straps. Would have been cancelled after a season or two like Resistance was.
Obviously live action is a LOT more expensive than animated, however it makes no sense to cancel a show two weeks after the finale in the modern streaming age. Some people prefer to binge watch shows, it makes sense to give the show some time to breathe after all the noise dies down and see what the response is like after a couple of months.

I saw another suggestion somewhere that maybe these streamers need to bounce their shows around their rivals in order to open it up to a wider audience. Obviously there's value for Disney in saying this is the home of Marvel/Star Wars/Pixar, but some people simply can't afford multiple streamers, some will have favourites. Is there a benefit to bouncing a show you think is good or has potential, like Andor or the Acolyte, over to Netflix for a few months to get a new audience in.

Obviously live action is a LOT more expensive than animated, however it makes no sense to cancel a show two weeks after the finale in the modern streaming age. Some people prefer to binge watch shows, it makes sense to give the show some time to breathe after all the noise dies down and see what the response is like after a couple of months.

I saw another suggestion somewhere that maybe these streamers need to bounce their shows around their rivals in order to open it up to a wider audience. Obviously there's value for Disney in saying this is the home of Marvel/Star Wars/Pixar, but some people simply can't afford multiple streamers, some will have favourites. Is there a benefit to bouncing a show you think is good or has potential, like Andor or the Acolyte, over to Netflix for a few months to get a new audience in.

Like Prodigy for ST is now on Netflix. There's certainly merit.

It's almost like the old Cable structure of paying one fee and getting all the channels might have made sense..

It's funny, all these producers have gone from the binge model back to week by week, soon enough we might start seeing different services bundling together to manage their overheads, and then we're back to cable.

Toxic fans haven't deterred talentless filmmakers and actors from getting involved in Star Wars.

Watched the Saber fight episode.

Pretty good.

Saber fight looks good but the cinematography is average. It's the opposite issues of the sequels which good cinematography and terrible choreography.

Qmir? Is kinda cool so far.

Dreading the rest though, if the show follows through on this 'jedi are evil fascists' pov as anything other than the ramblings of an evil character.

Watched the Saber fight episode.

Pretty good.

Saber fight looks good but the cinematography is average. It's the opposite issues of the sequels which good cinematography and terrible choreography.

Qmir? Is kinda cool so far.

Dreading the rest though, if the show follows through on this 'jedi are evil fascists' pov as anything other than the ramblings of an evil character.

It doesn't?

It is?

I dunno why you'd dread something based on a line from an evil character but you do you.
I dread something based on reviews and discussion I've already observed, most of the negative takes on star wars shows getting around have proven to be in my opinion in line with my tastes, so I'm cautious of the opinions of the acolyte, I've no reason to disbelieve the fandom so far is they think something is bad/dumb/hamfisted.

Last edited:
I dread something based on reviews and discussion I've already observed, most of the negative takes on star wars shows getting around have proven to be in my in mind with my tastes, so I'm cautious of the opinions of the acolyte, I've no reason to disbelieve the fandom so far is they think something is bad/dumb/hamfisted.

Thats got nothing to do with that quote though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Star Wars The Acolyte

Remove this Banner Ad

Back