The AFL Should Ban Gambling Advertising At Games and During AFL Broadcasts

Should the AFL ban all gambling advertising from grounds, broadcasting, sponsorship deals

• Yes-everywhere

Votes: 138 84.1%
  • No

Votes: 22 13.4%
  • Only on TV

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Only at games

Votes: 2 1.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

FastLane

Club Legend
Jul 15, 2012
club tropicana
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
#TEAMWHAM
As title reads

Gambling is scourge on society and the events of the past 24 hours show how much it has infiltrated our game.

I believe it should go the way of alcohol and tobacco advertising- banned.

Someone mentioned its seeming increase since Gil has taken charge.

The mixed messages given to young kids is a disgrace.

The AFL fraternity has normalised gambling to the point it invades us whenever we watch a game or footy related TV show or when we attend a game.

The bloody Big Freeze was even sponsored by a betting company.

The fact AFL had the Stephenson information for a few weeks, and conveniently roll it out just prior to Gil's big sorry fans speech is just laughable.

Stand on your own feet and cut ties with these leeches

There is enough information in the advertising to warn people about the dangers of gambling. Only the cynical would suggest that these betting agencies aren't doing the right thing.
You must always gamble responsibly. Always. You should probably gamble responsibly right now. Go on, I bet you win heaps.

I personally don't have an issue with gambling and I see the advertising as much as any other. The issue isn't the advertising, it's peoples inability for self control, if we punished companies for taking advantage of people that have issues with addiction then gambling isn't the only culprit there..

I personally don't have an issue with gambling and I see the advertising as much as any other. The issue isn't the advertising, it's peoples inability for self control, if we punished companies for taking advantage of people that have issues with addiction then gambling isn't the only culprit there..

It’s more the bombardment of how much it’s in your face and over the top. Especially when a majority of people watch the footy and other sports.

Imagine if someone just kept putting a beer in front of an alcoholic at work every 30 minutes or so.

It’s not that the fact all advertising should be banned, it shouldn’t be absolutely spammed in our face in all facets of the sport at all times, especially when it can quite easily cause an addiction.

There’s been studies shown that putting a bet on generates the same amount of thrill that a heroin addict feels. Obviously some people can handle that and others can’t but it’s not necessarily just about self control, imagine telling a heroin addict to just have better self control and use in moderation.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No. Be an adult - be responsible for your own lifestyle choices.

I can gamble without becoming addicted. Why should millions like me be punished because of people that can't control themselves?

How about some personal responsibility once you hit 18.

Last edited by a moderator:
It shouldn't be on Supercoach either.Plenty of kids play fantasy and it's too normalized.

It’s more the bombardment of how much it’s in your face and over the top. Especially when a majority of people watch the footy and other sports.

Imagine if someone just kept putting a beer in front of an alcoholic at work every 30 minutes or so.

It’s not that the fact all advertising should be banned, it shouldn’t be absolutely spammed in our face in all facets of the sport at all times, especially when it can quite easily cause an addiction.

There’s been studies shown that putting a bet on generates the same amount of thrill that a heroin addict feels. Obviously some people can handle that and others can’t but it’s not necessarily just about self control, imagine telling a heroin addict to just have better self control and use in moderation.
As long as they're willing to pay the price for the advertising, it'll keep on happening unfortunately, don't get me wrong, I'd prefer not to see it, but it doesn't bother me and I don't think about it.

It shouldn't be on Supercoach either.Plenty of kids play fantasy and it's too normalized.

Those kids should be signed in under their own account, which lists their age. If they have done so, no gambling adds are shown to under 18s.

If they are using their parents account well then that is negligent parenting.

Unfortunately nothing will be done unless people hit the afl in their hip pocket.
If fans boycotted a round of football by not attending/watching/listening (every station bar the abc promotes gambling) then the afl would be forced to take notice. I'd happily abstain to hit them where it hurts

Those kids should be signed in under their own account, which lists their age. If they have done so, no gambling adds are shown to under 18s.

If they are using their parents account well then that is negligent parenting.
My son's massively into SuperCoach, he's doing really well this year. Sitting in the top 300.

He's only 11 months old too, so as you can imagine I'm proud as punch.

The AFL cant be allowed to get away with the duplicity of their position.

No. Be an adult - be responsible for your own lifestyle choices.

I can gamble without becoming addicted. Why should millions like me be punished because of people that can't control themselves? Should we ban sex because some people rape?

How about some personal responsibility once you hit 18.
How are you being punished by not having advertising thrust in your face? The OP isn't advocating banning betting on footy

Remove this Banner Ad

The AFL Should Ban Gambling Advertising At Games and During AFL Broadcasts

Back