Women's Footy The AFLW Thread – Round 3 vs. North @ Casey (Sunday, 1:05 pm)

Remove this Banner Ad

Casey Sheriff, Libby Birch , Maddy Gay , Eliza West have moved on , Pearce , Purcell and Harris injured , Zanker and Bannon underwhelming so far , that’s a fair hunk of experience missing or not performing. Mini rebuild underway really .
I feel like, and i don't wanna riff on mick like goody. But mick has persisted with Bannon as a key forward or deep forward after the 5 goals against west coast (dependant on personnel). Bannon is speedy half forward (that can occasionally present aerially with her size), or a winger. She's never been a towering mark, or one the wrestle. She's a release player you give a handball out to in space. The pace of Bannon is wasted 15 meters out from goal

Zanker though does need to step up and bring that physicality. However i can't really judge her fully with the way our midfield collapsed today

I feel like, and i don't wanna riff on mick like goody. But mick has persisted with Bannon as a key forward or deep forward after the 5 goals against west coast (dependant on personnel). Bannon is speedy half forward (that can occasionally present aerially with her size), or a winger. She's never been a towering mark, or one the wrestle. She's a release player you give a handball out to in space. The pace of Bannon is wasted 15 meters out from goal

Zanker though does need to step up and bring that physicality. However i can't really judge her fully with the way our midfield collapsed today
Agreed. Need to get Banno in space rather than parked deep. Create space for her to run into over the defence.
The forwardline as a whole hasn't been effective this year or end of last. Always seem congested or outnumbered. Midfield not really being effective either. Hanks seems to have dropped off; Hore, Goldy and Mackin have been solid but none are huge ballwinners. Need a lift there for anything else to really work

Casey Sheriff, Libby Birch , Maddy Gay , Eliza West have moved on , Pearce , Purcell and Harris injured , Zanker and Bannon underwhelming so far , that’s a fair hunk of experience missing or not performing. Mini rebuild underway really .
Were really missing our ruck, Lauren Pearce, and also Harris as well.

The rest of the team have been shuffled around due to players leaving.

We should use this year as a resetting the brand and style season. The aflw season isn't long enough to get back to where we were.

Last edited:
Agreed. Need to get Banno in space rather than parked deep. Create space for her to run into over the defence.
The forwardline as a whole hasn't been effective this year or end of last. Always seem congested or outnumbered. Midfield not really being effective either. Hanks seems to have dropped off; Hore, Goldy and Mackin have been solid but none are huge ballwinners. Need a lift there for anything else to really work
We need to really hone our disposal skills. With the loss of contested players.
We always miss too many targets by hand, and leaves us under the pump instead of having the ball inside f50.

Paxman to miss 1-2 weeks with a foot issue .I have never seen a run of injuries like this for the ladies before .
Season well and truly cooked. Heading into condensed fixture now which will be tough if anymore players get hurt.

May as well play the younguns as much as possible, flick the magnets around a bit to see what other possies people can do. Wouldn't mind seeing Lampy in the guts a bit more, or Chaplin even as a bigger unit with some campaigner about her

Season well and truly cooked. Heading into condensed fixture now which will be tough if anymore players get hurt.

May as well play the younguns as much as possible, flick the magnets around a bit to see what other possies people can do. Wouldn't mind seeing Lampy in the guts a bit more, or Chaplin even as a bigger unit with some campaigner about her
Yep , I’d also consider throwing Zanker on the ball . Coach can be inventive, hasn’t got much choice really .

If the season is cooked, like others are saying. I'm in line to agree although i would think mick would give it another game

With what i was saying the other day this is a good chance to move Bannon. Although i suspect they'll double down to keep her 'developing forward'. I'd love Bannon to go to half back to work on her weaknesses, use her explosive run when she can as a line breaker, but get exposed to playing more body on and more contact

Yep , I’d also consider throwing Zanker on the ball . Coach can be inventive, hasn’t got much choice really .
Yeah good call. She played there a bit a couple of seasons back and was solid. She's not getting much action up forward, could see what Gall is like up there and have Zanker in the guts or give her a run in the ruck #Wallsy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Paxman to miss 1-2 weeks with a foot issue .I have never seen a run of injuries like this for the ladies before .
Women. Not ladies.

I hope you’re not offended. I’m a certified weirdo and far too hung up on these things :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Women's Footy The AFLW Thread – Round 3 vs. North @ Casey (Sunday, 1:05 pm)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back