Women's Footy The AFLW Thread – Week 8 vs. Richmond @ Casey Fields (Saturday, 5:05 pm AEDT)

Remove this Banner Ad

Entrenched in the bottom 4. I know we have injuries, but holy hell what a fall from grace. That last quarter and a half was as bad as you'll see. Both men's and women's coaches probably need to be moved on tbh. Both teams look washed

Entrenched in the bottom 4. I know we have injuries, but holy hell what a fall from grace. That last quarter and a half was as bad as you'll see. Both men's and women's coaches probably need to be moved on tbh. Both teams look washed
Starting to agree re coach. Ahead of the game was expecting defeat, but having watched it we really bottled it. Unfortunately has happened too often with the W side. Stinear seems a nice bloke, and has had us playing some great footy but we've always been a bit flakey imo. Injuries have really cooked this year though - nowhere near the depth of the blokes, but the team seems to be going through a transition period with a pretty young core. A bit of a refresh on and off field could be good for the long run and a lower finish/better pick wouldn't hurt. We weren't getting near Norf this year anyway.

your right PG.

Our men are too gentilemanly to play hard nosed AFL footy.

And so it carries, that we don't want our girls being 'ladies', in a full physical game. Get down girls, and get dirty.
What do you mean by this, exactly, Sugar?

What do you mean by this, exactly, Sugar?
Our mens side has lost its hardened edge, we had back around 2020ish... and we went on to win the flag carrying momentum, but we recruited softish types from other clubs, and also NQR's... all in all we lost our hardnosed aggression... see brayshaws decapitation, and only one felt the need to fly the flag.!

In one sense, Maxy is a part in this, never really defending himself.

And so the leaderships direction is just a bit too Professional in not retaliating when its needed.

And we've recruited mature types, that have no aggro in their mindsets.
Scache, hunter, billings Langdon, etc, Fullerton... only Langdon is a real player, of that group, but still we lose a tad of aggression with him in the team.

This in-turn shows the wrong way forward, imo, to the kids at Casey who see you don't need aggression as a weapon in your bag of tricks.

This is a constant part of our Culture at the MFC over the decades, since the late 60's.
We lost a lot of fierce leadership and hard-nosed combativeness, in losing Barassi in the 60's... and Norm Smith himself, around that same ERA.

Following on from that, our team and players started to play for themselves, and for a pay packet, rather than for the jumper, so much.. which in-turn led us to learning to be losers... and so that went on until mid 80's.
---------------------------

And This also Carries with the girls of the Mfc as well.
We need a mindset of backs to the wall aggression, backed up by good skill-sets.

But the dna anyone who comes into the club should have, is a foundation built on aggression. Our girls from O/S seem to bring this aggression from Ireland... with them. naturally.
-----------------------------------

But our men's team seem far 'too polite', in footy terms.
See the Cats players this weekend... far more aggressive in play than any of our teams of the past 2 Yrs.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The fixture and game days and times has been the most disgusting I've ever seen it this season

For a start i would have put tonight's game on a Friday afternoon, and Richmond hosting at punt rd during the footy festival stuff. Real missed chance to utilise the ground next door while there are people about

Yeah the midweek games haven't had much promo. The idea seems kinda pointless too - I get it's school holidays, but other than that not much reason for doing it? Broadcasting also seems more limited this season (at least in Canberra).

Also in Dees news, Mackin and Zanker out for a couple of weeks at least :$

Yeah the midweek games haven't had much promo. The idea seems kinda pointless too - I get it's school holidays, but other than that not much reason for doing it? Broadcasting also seems more limited this season (at least in Canberra).

Also in Dees news, Mackin and Zanker out for a couple of weeks at least :$
But Zanker needs to step up more first then get injured!

For real though it feels like AFLW is running like the covid season at the moment

For the few of us that do tips, i've already ****ed up with this week five shit of Richmond playing both Tuesday and Sunday

Cats V Hawks Game was a decent game. That amount of scoring

I like to think if they played 20 minute quarters with time on (and two wings) the scoring would pick up a bit more

GYZWbdaWEAEDWOV

:think:

Cats V Hawks Game was a decent game. That amount of scoring

I like to think if they played 20 minute quarters with time on (and two wings) the scoring would pick up a bit more
Pretty sure folks on the AFLW board have run the numbers and longer games have generally = higher scores. Also despite the oft-repeated argument of making grounds smaller for AFLW the highest scoring games are at the biggest grounds.

I think the extra wings could go either way - reduces the amount of space on field and may lead to a bit more congestion, but also could benefit ball movement around the field with more options to spread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Women's Footy The AFLW Thread – Week 8 vs. Richmond @ Casey Fields (Saturday, 5:05 pm AEDT)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back