Remove this Banner Ad

Balony_pony16

Brownlow Medallist
Suspended
Sep 18, 2009
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Well the time is coming with the winless Lions getting set for a moment of truth against a GC team with a hell of alot more talent. I would like to say we have more experience, but really we have the same mix of experience but our youth are largely collected from scrapping the barrell with draft picks, and with hit and miss results.

So what happens if the lions lose...does Voss face the real chance of the sack? If so the sack wont come straight away...the board will need to find a replacement capable of both youth development and uniting the team...so:

1) Voss stays
2) The board makes the undisclosed decision for a coach change and plays out the season before advertising the coaching position.
3) the board trys to talk Fitzroy champ Paul Roos out of retirement...if not, to save further team instability resigns voss for 1-2 years

Look, i love voss...but as a player and captain he demanded players be accountable for their preformance...but if he stays on as coach then his 4th year will begin with a full blown rebuild...i can see a new coach getting away with a rebuild, but vossy in his 4th year will face a Terry Wallace like sacking...will it be worthwhile to move on now?

As much as I would love to see the Suns win I can't see it. They have to much experienced players and a lot of depth. There's no way in hell the Suns will win.

Not much point in sacking him after next week Pony. I don't know why there's this talk that Roos will magically come and coach the Lions. Sounds like the story when we wanted Voss in the past.

Likely or either he will sacked at the end of thr season or given one more year.

A fact that Brisbane fans have overlooked is that in their games theyve been relatively competitive to the end, its just a matter of time before it clicks.

Went to the Brisbane vs Melbourne game at Optus Oval in the pre season and they looked good, they just need the players to click.

BP, when we were winning premierships did you still find something to complain about? Every week it's something different!

We're playing 'okay' without getting the points. I could see the whole "should the coach be sacked" question coming in to play (and fairly enough, too) were we getting thumped week-in week-out with Brown and Drummond both out there... but given they're both A missing, and B our two most important players... and we're only JUST missing out on winning a number of games to this point... it is simply ridiculous to even suggest sacking the coach.

Do you think it will be some magical sort of fix that'll see us win every game? Like dropping Buchanan?

Same old, same old.

Fact is, Brisbane are playing like one of the most impressive 0-5 teams of all time (if that makes any sense). No they aren't playing like a top 8 side, but with the exception of the Doggies game, they've been competitive in every game they've played in and still had a chance of winning at 3 Quarter Time in all of those games.

I think they'll be firing up to not only play against a truly beatable side, but a cross town rival as well (although I'm not sure if there really is a rivalry yet).

I worry about us against them the week after as well, I feel if we play to our best we will beat them, but I'm not overly confident.

BP, when we were winning premierships did you still find something to complain about? Every week it's something different!

We're playing 'okay' without getting the points. I could see the whole "should the coach be sacked" question coming in to play (and fairly enough, too) were we getting thumped week-in week-out with Brown and Drummond both out there... but given they're both A missing, and B our two most important players... and we're only JUST missing out on winning a number of games to this point... it is simply ridiculous to even suggest sacking the coach.

Do you think it will be some magical sort of fix that'll see us win every game? Like dropping Buchanan?

Same old, same old.

Here is where we stand mate. Voss is contracted to the end of the year...the new board has been holding back for a reason. Obviously there are question marks with the board, and vossy has certain criteria to meet...but do you seriously think a 5 nil start to the season sits well with a board holding off considering wether or not to resign vossy?

Here is where we stand mate. Voss is contracted to the end of the year...the new board has been holding back for a reason. Obviously there are question marks with the board, and vossy has certain criteria to meet...but do you seriously think a 5 nil start to the season sits well with a board holding off considering wether or not to resign vossy?
Depends what kind of people the board are.

Are they stupid and ignorant enough to say "5-0, sack the coach"?

Or are they educated enough to see a side missing 2 of it's most important players, quite a young side, playing very competitive, good footy. See the youngsters getting more and more comfortable with each other each week which is seeing an improvement in performance. Seeing this young side be in with a shot at winning all but one of its games this year, despite missing those 2 important players.

Personally, I'd be hoping they're the latter. Lot to like about this Brisbane side. Bet they'll look a lot better once they've actually got someone to kick it to in the forward line. Because that midfield's winning a lot of the ball. Rare for so many young players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fact is, Brisbane are playing like one of the most impressive 0-5 teams of all time (if that makes any sense). No they aren't playing like a top 8 side, but with the exception of the Doggies game, they've been competitive in every game they've played in and still had a chance of winning at 3 Quarter Time in all of those games.

I think they'll be firing up to not only play against a truly beatable side, but a cross town rival as well (although I'm not sure if there really is a rivalry yet).

I worry about us against them the week after as well, I feel if we play to our best we will beat them, but I'm not overly confident.

Good assessment..
The Lions have lost games they shouldn't, and this week at the Gabba will be a really good test for both teams.. I'm hoping it's a tough match, with the Lions just getting up..

Though the Lions are also a good chance to beat essenson when we travel up there, as good as we have been at Etihad, playing at the Gabba hasn't really been our forte..

A fact that Brisbane fans have overlooked is that in their games theyve been relatively competitive to the end....

Not all Brisbane fans. :)

Depends what kind of people the board are.

Are they stupid and ignorant enough to say "5-0, sack the coach"?

Or are they educated enough to see a side missing 2 of it's most important players, quite a young side, playing very competitive, good footy. See the youngsters getting more and more comfortable with each other each week which is seeing an improvement in performance. Seeing this young side be in with a shot at winning all but one of its games this year, despite missing those 2 important players.

Personally, I'd be hoping they're the latter. Lot to like about this Brisbane side. Bet they'll look a lot better once they've actually got someone to kick it to in the forward line. Because that midfield's winning a lot of the ball. Rare for so many young players.

Great post. Amazed to find that some opposition supporters have more perspective and better critical analysis of where we are at than some of our own supporters.

Btw, anyone who thinks the Gold Coast are a good chance this week... load up. $8 at Sportsbet.

Both are fielding similar sides- with both teams having decent midfields, but not a decent big target up forward. Bock back in the for the Suns is huge and Rischa will probably come out and play a blinder- sticking it up Vossy! Brisbane's experience will get them over the line, but I wouldn't be surprised at seeing an upset.

I think most Lions fans recognise that...but like Vossy said, being competitive is not a pass mark. 3 wins from the past 22 games is not good enough, and that stat could get really ugly by the seasons end

Im sure most other supporters wouldn't accept " being competitive" for too much longer if they were in teh same boat.

But yes, we are playing good footy in patches...so hopefully a win comes this week and we can build from there with more wins. Just need the boys to put in some 4 quarter efforts

Great post. Amazed to find that some opposition supporters have more perspective and better critical analysis of where we are at than some of our own supporters.

You always try and talk down fello lions supporters when they rightly so question the state of teh team. lets get things clear:

1) Voss is in his 3rd year as a coach, which has seen the team delcine in talent and ladder position. A 42% win percentage and dropping is really not that good from a coach who traded heavily and is seeking a 4th year.

*if it was a 1st year coach taking over our rebuilding team then people would be more understanding, and the direction the list took is his responsibility.
2) The board obviously has a question mark over the team with contract talks with Voss still on hold.
3) rich, leuenberger, clark are all out of contract and have not yet committed...until the Lions get their signiture Lions supporters will be nervous regarding teh state of our playing list considering the loss of brennan, risky, fev & bradshaw
4) Our form is patchy at times, and it goes further back before this year...3 wins from the past 22 games should get Lions supporters elbrows raised!

Things will turn around in the future im sure...but don't get all high and mighty if Lions fans question the state of the team whilst we sit winless at the bottom of the table.

I actually think most Lions fans here have been pretty balanced at praising the progress of the Lions when warranted, but discussing the negative state of various matters when warranted.

It is not all roses sitting winless on the bottom with the we are competitve feel good reassurance only going so far!

Remove this Banner Ad

The aftermath if GC beat the Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Back