The Association Football AFL Thread 3.0

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah like the reigning premiers who used Mason Cox as a key forward and still had Mihocek and Hill as effective forwards. They also brought in Frampton for McStay, another key position player who could play at either end as needed. Again, who do North have outside of Larkey?
Wrong, sorry. Look at his heat map in the grand final. 58% of his touches were in the back half, he had 2 in the forward 50.

Mihocek and Hill aren't key forwards, they clearly didn't need one.

Frampton had 2 touches. A scarecrow in defence on average would've had the ball kicked into him more.

I don't care who they've got outside of Larkey, that's literally my point. Build the rest of the list first.

Wrong, sorry. Look at his heat map in the grand final. 58% of his touches were in the back half, he had 2 in the forward 50.

Mihocek and Hill aren't key forwards, they clearly didn't need one.

Frampton had 2 touches. A scarecrow in defence on average would've had the ball kicked into him more.

I don't care who they've got outside of Larkey, that's literally my point. Build the rest of the list first.

Cox and Frampton could play key forward if needed though which was my point, the fact they weren't needed doesn't negate from their capability to do so. North have Comben but outside of him I don't think they have any key position players they could throw forward. Their list is overflowing with elite mids now, where else should they be building other than key position players?

Cox and Frampton could play key forward if needed though which was my point, the fact they weren't needed doesn't negate from their capability to do so. North have Comben but outside of him I don't think they have any key position players they could throw forward. Their list is overflowing with elite mids now, where else should they be building other than key position players?
Boy do we have different definitions of the word 'elite'. Some of those midfielders will get there but I don't see them as close yet.

Teams overflowing with elite mids don't generally sit last with a percentage of 64.1%.

North certainly need to now start targeting FA's/trades. They'll be far more enticing now that other players can see the green shoots coming through.

Boy do we have different definitions of the word 'elite'. Some of those midfielders will get there but I don't see them as close yet.

Teams overflowing with elite mids don't generally sit last with a percentage of 64.1%.

North certainly need to now start targeting FA's/trades. They'll be far more enticing now that other players can see the green shoots coming through.

You don't think McKercher, Wardlaw, Sheezel and LDU is a strong midfield group? We certainly do have different definitions then. If they 'will get there' then that says they don't need to draft more, no? Could throw in Powell and Scott too who have looked decent and I suppose Simpkin although I don't think he's particularly good.

They do when those mids are largely first and second year kids. Look at GCS with broadly the same midfield group that they've had for the last 3-4 years.

So they should be trading for key position players then? Glad we got there in the end.

You don't think McKercher, Wardlaw, Sheezel and LDU is a strong midfield group? We certainly do have different definitions then. If they 'will get there' then that says they don't need to draft more, no? Could throw in Powell and Scott too who have looked decent and I suppose Simpkin although I don't think he's particularly good.

They do when those mids are largely first and second year kids. Look at GCS with broadly the same midfield group that they've had for the last 3-4 years.

So they should be trading for key position players then? Glad we got there in the end.
Strong? Reasonably. Elite? No. LDU and Sheezel are getting close, the other two will but they're not there yet.

You'd think with all these amazing players you're talking about, they might be on more than one win. They're trending in the right direction but they're a long way from it yet.

How many days a week do you spend arguing with yourself in the mirror? That's not what I said at all but as usual, you do you.

Strong? Reasonably. Elite? No. LDU and Sheezel are getting close, the other two will but they're not there yet.

You'd think with all these amazing players you're talking about, they might be on more than one win. They're trending in the right direction but they're a long way from it yet.

How many days a week do you spend arguing with yourself in the mirror? That's not what I said at all but as usual, you do you.

You must have the wrong criteria then

LDU easily sits as an elite mid and has for a few years. I mean, he has just been fielded the largest FA contract offers in the games history in the last few months. By pretty much every definition he's ranked in the top 10-15 mids of the last 3 years, he's just missed large patches of games of each season with injury. He's often had periods within these seasons where he's the #1 mid in the league.

Sheezel is the #5 rated player in the entire comp the last 2 months. Let alone midfielders. His numbers stack up with Gulden and Daicos now as a mid/forward. I don't think you quite understand the numbers he's putting out forward of center at the moment.

Wardlaw is rated ahead of all of Petracca, Serong, Sam Walsh, Chad Warner, Zach Merrett in that time period.

He's averaging 25 disposals a game, 7 clearances a game, 7 score involvements, 5 tackle a game, 0.5 goals per game and 1.5 goal assist per game.

He's statistically the best user by foot in the comp for any contested possession dominant midfielder in the league other than Bontempelli. Along with he Bont and Petracca, the only ones with those goal assist numbers as a clearance midfielder.

He's 20 years old and probably the best pure allround power athlete ever to be recorded at the draft combine. Yeah, he's probably already elite.

This should hardly be surprising. LDU has been a solid player for a long time, Sheezel outdid Daicos' disposal numbers in his rookie season and Wardlaw was one of the most hyped juniors in the Victorian underage system for years prior to his injury in his draft year. You are talking about top end talent.

Last edited:
You must have the wrong criteria then

LDU easily sits as an elite mid and has for a few years. I mean, he has just been fielded the largest FA contract offers in the games history in the last few months. By pretty much every definition he's ranked in the top 10 mids of the last 3 years, he's just missed large patches of games of each season with injury. He's often had periods within these seasons where he's the #1 mid in the league.

Sheezel is the #5 rated player in the entire comp the last 2 months. Let alone midfielders. His numbers stack up with Gulden and Daicos now as a mid/forward. I don't think you quite understand the numbers he's putting our forward of center at the moment.

Wardlaw is rated ahead of all of Petracca, Serong, Sam Walsh, Chad Warner, Zach Merrett in that time period.

He's averaging 25 disposals a game, 7 clearances a game, 7 score involvements, 5 tackle a game, 0.5 goals per game and 1.5 goal assist per game.

He's statistically the best user by foot in the comp for any contested possession dominant midfielder in the league other than Bontempelli. Along with he Bont and Petracca, the only ones with those goal assist numbers as a clearance midfielder.

He's 20 years old and probably the best pure allround power athlete ever to be recorded at the draft combine. Yeah, he's probably already elite.
What a load of waffle 😂

All these elite players and you're still ****ing shit. Incredible!

Is that the best response you have?

Those players are shit because the side is shit and my team is better? Grow up.

Last I checked a football side has 22 players in it.

North's problem is there are 5-6 extremely good players at the moment trying to carry the entire side. The others being Xerri, Comben and Larkey.

Xerri will be in this years AA squad, as will Sheezel. Larkey was an AA forward last season who kicked 70 goals in a side that won 2 games.

Or are they shit too and not elite?

As soon as the middle band of players get better, we will be a finals side.

Top end talent is generally every sides problem, North have just about the best going around.

North's problem is there are 5-6 extremely good players at the moment trying to carry the entire side. The others being Xerri, Comben and Larkey.

Xerri will be in this years AA squad, as will Sheezel. Larkey was an AA forward last season who kicked 70 goals in a side that won 2 games.

Top end talent is generally every sides problem, North have just about the best going around.
These players only look good because of the shit they're surrounded by. LDU would be the 3rd best midfielder at Carlton, I don't even know what he'd be at Sydney.

There is not one North player I would have in the top 10-15 players in the comp.

You keep getting excited by all these 'elite' players though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That is the most delusional post I've seen on this site this year.

Kudos to you.

These players only look good because of the shit they're surrounded by. LDU would be the 3rd best midfield at Carlton, I don't even know what he'd be at Sydney.

There is not one North player I would have in the top 10-15 players in the comp.

You keep getting excited by all these 'elite' players though.

Like Cripps was when he was AA in 2018 when you won the spoon?

Like Cripps was when he was AA in 2019 when you finished 17th, or Weitering was when he was AA in that same time period?

LDU being the third best midfielder at Carlton means very little if Carlton has two of the best 5 midfielders in the game? Doesn't it? (They don't by the way).

Again, what relevance does LDU position at Sydney have vs the rest of the comp?

Sam Walsh wouldn't get a game ahead of Gulden, Warner and Heeney based on their rankings this season either. Throw him in the bin too by your standards?

So nothing to retort it?
There’s no point even bothering. You’re evidently so far gone with delusion I feel like I’d be wasting my time debating your points.

You’ve got some talented kids but you’re struggling to distinguish elite potential with actually being elite.

That’s all I’ll say.

Like Cripps was when he was AA in 2018 when you won the spoon?

Like Cripps was when he was AA in 2019 when you finished 17th, or Weitering was when he was AA in that same time period?

LDU being the third best midfielder at Carlton means very little if Carlton has two of the best 5 midfielders in the game? Doesn't it? (They don't by the way).

Again, what relevance does LDU position at Sydney have vs the rest of the comp?

Sam Walsh wouldn't get a game ahead of Gulden, Warner and Heeney based on their rankings this season either. Throw him int he bin too?
How the **** could he be considered elite when he's not even in the best 2 or 3 in one side of the competition.

How many players do you think fall into the elite bracket in the AFL? Going by your logic, you must have close to 100.

Do you watch football with your eyes shut? :tearsofjoy:

LDU, Sheezel, Wardlaw, McKercher, Duursma, Larkey, Comben is an extremely strong group of top end talent to work with.

And I'm the delusional one :tearsofjoy:
No one said it wasn't a strong group of talent, they are. They're not near anywhere close to the best in the comp yet though.

How difficult is that to understand?

Don't bother, keep jerking off to your champion data ranking points.

How the **** could he be considered elite when he's not even in the best 2 or 3 in one side of the competition.

How many players do you think fall into the elite bracket in the AFL? Going by your logic, you must have close to 100.

Are you serious?

How long have you followed football?

Ablett Jnr, Bartel - I guess Selwood, Steve Johnson, Chapman, Scarlett were never elite.

Voss, Akermanis - I guess Simon Black and Lappin were never elite either.

The Sydney midfield have had huge years on paper, a player not getting a game in a theoretical exercise in front of them doesn't mean a single thing.

All these elite players and you're still ****ing shit. Incredible!

Wow it's almost like they're missing some key position players to help their midfield.

The shit list because they wouldn't get a game in the Swans midfield.

Includes essentially the entire Carlton midfield with the exception of Cripps by the way.

Yes, thats LDU sitting right below the dual brownlow medalist and one of this years favourites for the brownlow. But he's only good because he stands out next to the the shit around him. (who are also on that list) lol

1719974830978.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Back