The Association Football AFL Thread 3.0

Remove this Banner Ad

So basically your argument is players can be assessed purely on stats? The "eye test" is understanding their specific role in the team, the game state, all sorts of variables stats don't capture. You need to use stats in conjunction with the what you observe of how those stats are accumulated.

Seriously?

Less typing, more reading would be my recommendation. Stats have their place, but the game, indeed any competitive sport, is more complex. I don't think that should be a controversial opinion.

No, Im saying you have to have both.

You raising Rankine and Holmes were poor examples imo.

Those are two pretty good players.

Absolutely they are. As someone who watches more of Geelong that most neutral I love Holmes in particular.

It just cuts to how CD present their data. If they said based on our algorithm of "X" these are the highest rated players. Instead they use phrases like "Elite" or rate players as the best in the AFL when their stats alone don't capture the information to make that assessment.

Holmes may statistically be off the charts, but is he a "better" player than J Cameron? I know who I take first if they were on the FA market.

Cannot stand listening to Daniel Hoyne on SEN, reckon he talks complete rubbish. Stats do not tell the whole picture and can be skewed however way you want them.
1000000000% this. Champion data is also f***ing laughable. Didn’t know people still got sucked into that shit. It has been badly exposed over the years and has zero credibility.

751383.jpg

It’s interesting the whole draft media and other so called draft experts how they do their mocks ..I sometimes think it’s more who they think will go at which spots based on discussions with clubs and not actually talent identifying.

We have a kid Tsatas who has to be one of the worst kicks in some time. His technique is all wrong Hans hasn’t shown too much improvement over last year. Yet not many noted this deficiency in draft previews ..and obviously our recruiters didn’t either. Most (all) had him top 5 pick.

I’m all for eye test and I can only see guys like Wardlaw and Sheezel being amongst the elite very soon. Wardlaw’s game against us last year was an eye opener ..haven’t seen a kid that ferocious at man or ball in some time

Cannot stand listening to Daniel Hoyne on SEN, reckon he talks complete rubbish. Stats do not tell the whole picture and can be skewed however way you want them.
Yep, he's an absolute punish to listen to.

I love stats more than most (I've got over a decade on here posting football stats) but Champion Data analyses performances poorly to me. Listening to him try and justify it makes it even less appealing.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wow, that Essendon side that lost to that pathetic Geelong side (despite the worst umpiring I’ve ever seen) took it personally!

Jye Caldwell very quietly becoming an enormously important player for us.

Fraudingwood 23, Fraudlong 22 and Fraudbourne 21 are probably the worst three premiers of all time.

Any danger of backing it up fellas? Yikes!

Pies to miss Finals from here? Might only win 2-3 more games for the year.
Next week is the big one. Lose that and they'll likely miss. Unfortunately for them, they don't play us in the run home which would've been a guaranteed win. Essendon do which should be enough for them to make it.

Trip to The Library tomorrow. Art Vandelay_ are supporters allowed to make a noise inside the ground?
1. Seeing as you're going tomorrow. If you ever compare us to Highbury again you'll end up floating in the river.
2. Usually we have to disinfect the seats after you lot have been here. A bit like a NLD away end ;)

but at least the short campaigner and captain Sissy campaigner won't be coming this time :thumbsu::sunglasses:

1. Seeing as you're going tomorrow. If you ever compare us to Highbury again you'll end up floating in the river.
2. Usually we have to disinfect the seats after you lot have been here. A bit like a NLD away end ;)

but at least the short campaigner and captain Sissy campaigner won't be coming this time :thumbsu::sunglasses:
Think the comparison is pretty apt. Both despicable clubs with whinging managers/coaches that play at a stadium where the home fans make no noise

Remove this Banner Ad

Back