The Association Football AFL Thread 3.0

Remove this Banner Ad

Heeneys issue is they literally changed the rules this season to make what he did a suspension.

I have no doubt they will argue intentional down to careless tonight though as the AFL don’t want the embarrassment of someone missing a Brownlow through suspension.

Heeneys issue is they literally changed the rules this season to make what he did a suspension.

I have no doubt they will argue intentional down to careless tonight though as the AFL don’t want the embarrassment of someone missing a Brownlow through suspension.

Thought they did pretty well On The Couch showing that the types of incidents the rule was brought in for are nothing like what Heeney did. They brought it in to stop players throwing elbows and knocking guys out or to the ground. Hogan earlier this year swiped at a Carlton (I think?) defender in a similar incident and had it thrown out. Sounds like Webster's medical report will land favourably with Heeney too in terms of reducing the impact to negligible.

When was the rule changed? At the beginning of the season?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When was the rule changed? At the beginning of the season?

Yeah start of this season. If they can show that the blood was caused by the knee and not the strike they should be able to downgrade the impact. I have no doubt he will be free to play. It’s all about image with the afl. Same reason Butters got off earlier in the year, Cripps in the past, etc.

Yeah start of this season. If they can show that the blood was caused by the knee and not the strike they should be able to downgrade the impact. I have no doubt he will be free to play. It’s all about image with the afl. Same reason Butters got off earlier in the year, Cripps in the past, etc.

I guess part of the issue is I don't see how he shouldn't be free to play based purely on the circumstances of the incident, but the shame is now that there will be this view that he only got off because he's in the running for the Brownlow so some will * his Brownlow whether that's fair or not.

Interesting they are arguing intentional down to careless rather than the force.

The law states that an incident in that manner will “usually” be graded as intentional. I guess they are going to say this is unusual.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back