Streaming The Bear

Streaming Television

Remove this Banner Ad

This season was very much setting up several things but had no pay off on any of them so I think that has frustrated a view viewers.

Carmy is virtually “stuck” and has closed himself off to everything except the performance of the restaurant. That’s left unresolved issues with Syd, Ritchie, his family, his finances and Claire.

I think the showmakers are deliberately making the viewer feel that sense of frustration of being stuck. There’s obviously a lot of pay off to come - good and bad.

It feels like part 1 of a season.
Apparently the showrunner Christopher Storrer had originally planned a 3 season arc, but due to the popularity of s1 and s2 FX convinced him to do 4 seasons. SO potentially he has fleshed out the storyline he initially envisioned as one season to two.
They also filmed both s3 and s4 concurrently (due to the busy filming schedules for Carm, Sydney and Richie) which gives more weight to the theory its a 2 season story arc.

Last edited:
Apparently the showrunner CHristopher Storrer had originally planned a 3 season arc, but due to the popularity of s1 and s2 FX convinced him to do 4 seasons. SO potentially he has fleshed out the storyline he initially envisioned as one season to two.
They also filmed both s3 and s4 concurrently (due to the busy filming schedules for Carm, Sydney and Richie) which gives more weight to the theory its a 2 season story arc.
Heh. Well there you go. No wonder it felt like padding. Because it was.

Heh. Well there you go. No wonder it felt like padding. Because it was.
Yeah its a fine line between license to experiment vs filler. I liked the first ep but there was definitely a point where I started thinking "ok i get it, you've shown the same scenes a couple of times now, can we have some narrative movement?"

Happy for it to be padding for a more impactful Season 4 then. Not every episode needs to have a whole bunch of stuff happening, but it felt like this whole season achieved little to nothing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back