The beer thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm a beer lover. Always looking for that new craft beer to try, particularly a hoppy pale ale. I'm partial to a Pilsner and if I don't want to remember last night, several IPA's.

I've set up a pretty serious home brew keeper. 4 beers on tap at once using corny kegs. I love making my own AG beer, just like cooking but much more rewarding when finished.

The beers I buy of the shelf would be Kosciusko Pale Ale, seriously good beer and any of the Sierra Navadas. The US do some great craft beer.

One thing that makes a hell of a lot of difference is the glass you use for craft beers. Some mates bought me a dozen of different beer glass types for my bday and they get a good workout come footy season.

Love the thread - nice one JMac
Thanks for the glasses tip NT my keg fridge has a freezer above it I shall make sure it's well stocked cheers

I've been doing it tough recently with the kegging. My last brew I had the temp sensor up the top of the keezer and had a lager so it was set pretty cold. Trouble was the temp at the top was higher than at the base of the keezer so the controller drove the temp down and froze my beer. Was not happy!

Then my previous batch I actually had a tiny piece of hop material lodge in the outlet poppet Vv of the keg which caused the beer to have too much head when pouring. It's all a learning experience but is great fun.

Maybe I'll put a beer down this weekend. Thinking about maybe just buy a wort cube for a quickie! Anyone used one of these?

I have a 20l Braumeister so it should be pretty straight forward to chuck it in and let it do it's thing. Grain is hard to get in NT which is sad, no real good home brew shops here.

I've been doing it tough recently with the kegging. My last brew I had the temp sensor up the top of the keezer and had a lager so it was set pretty cold. Trouble was the temp at the top was higher than at the base of the keezer so the controller drove the temp down and froze my beer. Was not happy!

Then my previous batch I actually had a tiny piece of hop material lodge in the outlet poppet Vv of the keg which caused the beer to have too much head when pouring. It's all a learning experience but is great fun.

Maybe I'll put a beer down this weekend. Thinking about maybe just buy a wort cube for a quickie! Anyone used one of these?

I have a 20l Braumeister so it should be pretty straight forward to chuck it in and let it do it's thing. Grain is hard to get in NT which is sad, no real good home brew shops here.
I've only just started brewing so I've got a lot to learn I'm a fan of the little creatures pale ale so I'm looking for something similar .How do you go with the heat does it affect your brewing?

I've only just started brewing so I've got a lot to learn I'm a fan of the little creatures pale ale so I'm looking for something similar .How do you go with the heat does it affect your brewing?
I did a little creatures IPA clone a few beers back, was really good but potent.

I've got a few fridges set-up with STC-1000 temp controllers that I've made. Got the controller from China for a few dollars and everything else from Jaycar to make but you can buy them from brew shops already made. They regulate the fridge/freezer to the temp you set and they work great up here when correctly set. I've got a standard fridge that I ferment in at a pre-set temp and keezer that will hold 4 19l corny kegs with SS flow control perlick taps. You need the temp controller up here. as it makes for a more consistent beer each time you brew.

There's some good programs to use. I use beersmith which is great for making recipes and finding clones and also the forum aussiehomebrewer I find handy.

http://aussiehomebrewer.com/

I did a little creatures IPA clone a few beers back, was really good but potent.

I've got a few fridges set-up with STC-1000 temp controllers that I've made. Got the controller from China for a few dollars and everything else from Jaycar to make but you can buy them from brew shops already made. They regulate the fridge/freezer to the temp you set and they work great up here when correctly set. I've got a standard fridge that I ferment in at a pre-set temp and keezer that will hold 4 19l corny kegs with SS flow control perlick taps. You need the temp controller up here. as it makes for a more consistent beer each time you brew.

There's some good programs to use. I use beersmith which is great for making recipes and finding clones and also the forum aussiehomebrewer I find handy.

http://aussiehomebrewer.com/
Thanks NT appreciate the info been hot here in albury I'll keep an eye out for another fridge

I'm a beer lover. Always looking for that new craft beer to try, particularly a hoppy pale ale. I'm partial to a Pilsner and if I don't want to remember last night, several IPA's.

I've set up a pretty serious home brew keeper. 4 beers on tap at once using corny kegs. I love making my own AG beer, just like cooking but much more rewarding when finished.

The beers I buy of the shelf would be Kosciusko Pale Ale, seriously good beer and any of the Sierra Navadas. The US do some great craft beer.

One thing that makes a hell of a lot of difference is the glass you use for craft beers. Some mates bought me a dozen of different beer glass types for my bday and they get a good workout come footy season.

Love the thread - nice one JMac

If you like the taste of an IPA but don't want a headache try Anytime IPA by Temple Brewing. Might be a little difficult to get up your way though.

Oj1ObQw-YhdpNeRJlnQNtyQhoEY9M-29aO2jfPmYDJ5AA6eGLhiWenBDhCjHaU-IEud-sdbfp1gKGffW1qoHmpJMUhMWH6Tnhv_8aBkISeHM-DL9Biy9S4XOssjXZ9XUCPGtpXyq5BLQuFIq24f1t6TsuLSh1THbSGsvRqbStcAirIknjnH2XNWF10KAnYFNHsqbB-ThNQCztttEcma3fyu19hkRfGyDzudsvP8Xs7ti1sO9qg=w316-h465-nc

Had a bit of a shitty day at work yesterday.
Get home and the mrs has an ice cold 6 pack of Stone & Wood pacific ale in the fridge.
Went down a treat... Good drop.

Good wife and a good beer!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Getting a home brew set-up off the ground is my next project. Like you NT I need to get a fridge set-up for the fermentation and conditioning. That's what's holding me up right now, waiting on a cheap/correctly sized/clean fridge to become available on gumtree. I need the fridge because it's too hot in Cairns for most of the year to brew effectively, especially as I want to do Lagers, Pilsners and Drys. I would like to do an Asahi style beer but I believe they are hard to replicate so might just start on a good but simple lager. Can anyone recommend a good lager recipe?

I would like to do an Asahi style beer but I believe they are hard to replicate so might just start on a good but simple lager. Can anyone recommend a good lager recipe?
Happy to oblige.

1. Purchase lager
2. Refrigerate lager
3. Open lager
4. Drink lager
5. Repeat 6-12 times. If you repeat more than 12 times you may need to go to point 6.
6. Drive porcelain bus.

Happy to oblige.

1. Purchase lager
2. Refrigerate lager
3. Open lager
4. Drink lager
5. Repeat 6-12 times. If you repeat more than 12 times you may need to go to point 6.
6. Drive porcelain bus.

Sounds a lot like my current recipe. Its a good recipe I can vouch for.

How the hell did I miss this thread for so long? Ashamed of myself, I am.

jmac70 I was in Bright for a week after New Years, and went to the brewery up there. Had an interesting brew called Saison which is brewed with no hops. It was a little odd having no real malt flavour, but was delicious none the less. I wanted to try their Stubborn Russian which is an Imperial Stout infused with chocolate and coffee, but as it ran at 16% and I was driving I had to reluctantly pass.

Also had a pint of Bridge Road Golden Ale at the local pub, which was delicious. I think that Golden Ale is my current favorite type of beer at the moment. I'm going to be in Beechworth for a wedding in a few months, so hopefully I can get down to the Bridge Road Brewery while I'm there to sample some of their other fine ales :D

How the hell did I miss this thread for so long? Ashamed of myself, I am.

jmac70 I was in Bright for a week after New Years, and went to the brewery up there. Had an interesting brew called Saison which is brewed with no hops. It was a little odd having no real malt flavour, but was delicious none the less. I wanted to try their Stubborn Russian which is an Imperial Stout infused with chocolate and coffee, but as it ran at 16% and I was driving I had to reluctantly pass.

Also had a pint of Bridge Road Golden Ale at the local pub, which was delicious. I think that Golden Ale is my current favorite type of beer at the moment. I'm going to be in Beechworth for a wedding in a few months, so hopefully I can get down to the Bridge Road Brewery while I'm there to sample some of their other fine ales :D

It's a great spot up there. I saw the Saison but didn't try it, will make sure I do next time. I am currently enjoying a Moon Boy golden ale whilst camping in Halls Gap. Not a bad way to spend the afternoon!

I thought we had a beer thread already, but I guess Jmac would know better than me:)

Enjoy yourselves guys.
The only time I like beer is when I'm really hot on a stinking hot day and the beer is really really cold:p
If you put your heater on real good, I then every day can then Be a beer day...
Jmac approved I'm sure

Not my wife yet...
In 3 weeks she will be though.

Great beer.
I assume she knows she will be in three weeks :D
Experience tells me, better they know... Very complicated otherwise :eek:

I once had a craft beer made in Kosciusko area, can't remember the name, was quite a dark beer
Very delicious

Remove this Banner Ad

Back