The BigFooty Liverpool Army

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think a midfielder (Gerrard out), a fullback (Johnson and possibly Enrique out), a striker (Borini and/or Lambert out) and possibly a CB (depending on how 33 year old Toure is feeling about the prospect of another season) will be the only changes we make this offseason. With any luck we can also sell surplus players like Assaidi, Coates, Alberto & Aspas to try to give us sufficient funds to pursue some real quality in those positions.

CB - Don't forget Ilori & Wisdom.

How could you possibly know that?

You don't think a Sturridge would've finished Lallana's 1 on 1 shot early in the 2nd half. Those chances for a striker are bread a butter for them usually.

Stoked with the win, but I was worried having 4 strikers on the bench on no recognised striker on the pitch.

It's not as simple as that. The game becomes drastically different if different players are out there. Who's to say we would have played that well with Studge starting? We may have lost 5-0.

Brendan was vindicated picking the players he did because they played brilliantly and we won. That's all there is too it, no room for hypotheticals.

Instead at the start of every season he wants us to play like Barcelona, we don't press as much and we don't go anywhere with the ball...
Barca and pressing are like Lallana and Cruyff turns.
Mignolet
Can Skrtel Sahko
Ibe Henderson Lucas Moreno
Coutinho Lallana
Sterling

Sturridge to work his way back in. He's not good enough right now to start.
I think Sterling is getting too good a rap up forward. He needs to be in midfield where he can beat players and shoot in curlers like he did in pre-season and like Hendinho and Coutderson did last night. His finishing hasn't been good all season. His passes have been below par. His hold up play is as consistent as you'd expect from a 20 y.o. I think he is getting played there due to the contractual argument and injuries (of course). I don't think BR trusted Balo against players who know him well and Studge is still being treated gently. When Toure came on it looked like Lallana was almost LWB, and if he had defence then that'd be ideal, as I'd like him on the field raiding from deep, but as of now my ideal team would sacrifice him. And I just have to have Stevie on. It's Stevie bloody G.

-----------Migz
-----Can Skrt Sahk
Hendo Gerrard Lucas Ibe
------Cout Sterling
---------Studge

Sterling must not play as a forward anymore. He is wasted there. Put him on the wing where he can use his pace to devastating effect. Sturridge must play from now on when fit.

Yeah he can fill in there if required, but at this stage you're right - while he can certainly play with his back to goal and hold the ball up well, we definitely see the best out of him when he collects the ball out wide or in those pockets of space in behind the opposition midfield and drives at defenders.

To be fair though, even Messi hadn't mastered the False 9 until Pep arrived when he was 23. Plenty of time for Sterling to develop into that role in the coming years, he has all the attributes you'd want of a player in that position.

Would like to see a near full strength team for the Burnley game. Need to keep the foot on the gas now, we can not have a let down performance after last night's effort. International break after this midweeker, so players will get a decent rest after this game.

would like to see this.

-------Mignolet-------
---Can Skrtel Sakho---
Ibe Allen Hendo Moreno
---Lallana Coutinho---
-------Sturridge--------

Balo comes on for Sturridge after 60-65min.

Toure for Sakho if Sakho isn't fit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sterling must not play as a forward anymore. He is wasted there. Put him on the wing where he can use his pace to devastating effect. Sturridge must play from now on when fit.

Thing is with Sterling I don't think his defensive work rate warrants him a spot in front of Moreno, in a different formation maybe, but not in a 3421 form.

First half he was a bit nervy, 2nd half I can't remember him making any mistakes and he continually found Allen & Coutinho in space going forward. Definitely showing improvement on some of his awful performances from earlier in the season.
I thought Lovren was nervy early but grew into the game. He was pretty good. Doesnt mean though that he shouldnt be dropped immediately for Sakho as soon as he is fit. :D

With any luck we can also sell surplus players like Assaidi, Coates, Alberto & Aspas to try to give us sufficient funds to pursue some real quality in those positions.
Didnt we sell Assaidi in January for like 4.5 million and then proceeding to laugh all the way to the bank?

It's hard to fit all our best players on the pitch at the same time. Sturridge is the natural selection leading the line. Sterling has done a great job filling in and while it is great experience for him and a position where he could excel in the future, right now it's not his best position.

He plays better off a striker, or in behind, or coming from deep or out wide. He can be really damaging as a winger, wing back or and AM. Right now though I feel the two form blokes are Lallana and Coutinho so if Sturridge is to come back in and I feel that he has to, then maybe Sterling goes back to the bench.

We could go balls out and play Ibe and Sterling on either wing in the wing back positions. That would give opposing teams fits. I rate both Ibe and Sterling's ability to come back and defend too. Id like to see it at some point just to have a look at it and see if it could be really damaging.

Moreno unlucky though who has been terrific for us IMO in his first season. He will only get better.

Gerrard is no longer in our best XI mate. He just isn't.
Im his biggest fan but I agree, he just isnt. I would LOVE for him to stick around and do a Lampard at City role for us. I think he could be highly damaging and still a key player for us coming off the bench and playing 20-30 minutes each game. Running at tired legs, his leadership, dead ball abilities, his passing, his general all round awesomeness.

Shame he wants to keep playing 90 mins so has to head off to America. I think he could still play for us for another 2-3 season in that role off the bench. It will be a shame if we get our shit together and win a title in the next couple of seasons and Gerrard misses out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back