Updated The Bruce Lehrmann Trials Pt2 * Toowoomba Rape Trial

Remove this Banner Ad

Here is PART 1

Historical Rape Allegation Against Fmr AG Christian Porter
The Alexander Matters matters

Just a reminder, this is the crime board and we need to be aware that there will be victims of crime either watching this thread or engaging in here from time to time. A degree of respect in all discussions is expected.

LINK TO TIMELINE
CJS INQUIRY
FINAL REPORT – BOARD OF INQUIRY – CRIMINAL JUSTICE SYSTEM
Joint media statement – Chief Minister and Attorney-General

LINK TO FEDERAL COURT DEFAMATION PROCEEDINGS

Interesting article from this thread's favourite rag, The Australian, on potential change in sexual assault cases:

I've said many times in the past that a more inquisitorial system would be best for these sensitive matters.

I take some issue with the criminal jury being given the "same facts" as the civil trial, because there was even more evidence available to Justice Lee.

The criminal jury are, I assume, armed with pens and notepads, before adjourning under some pressure, being expected to nail a life-changing result in days, or weeks at the most, riding an emotional roller coaster.

Justice Lee had months and a team of staff to work through the micro issues, presumably with the aid of technology and a perfect timeline flow chart (something I feel AI could be very useful for going forward).

I know which judgement system that I'd rather be faced with either as complainant or a defendant.
So, in short, I interpret this as the rich pay compensation to make a sexual assault allegation disappear while the poor go to jail.

Bruce Lehrmann to stand trial on Qld rape charges​

A Toowoomba Magistrates Court has this morning committed Bruce Lehrmann to stand trial for two counts of rape, alleged to have occurred in Toowoomba, west of Brisbane, in October 2021

He will face a judge or jury in a District court trial on a date to be set.

Mr Lehrmann was excused from attending the court for the committal hearing with his legal team's argument he has no case to answer being rejected.

Edit - more details:

Magistrate Mark Howden on Thursday dismissed a bid by Lehrmann’s barrister to have the case thrown out, finding there was sufficient evidence of a crime having been committed for the matter to proceed to trial in the District Court.

Lehrmann, who participated in the hearing via audio link, is accused of raping a woman twice after a night out in Toowoomba in 2021. The pair had met at The Vault club, before leaving together to spend the night at the home of one of Lehrmann’s friends.

Lehrmann’s barrister, Andrew Hoare KC, on Thursday told Toowoomba Magistrates Court there was consensual sex between Lehrmann and the woman which he argued “contextualised” the events that followed.

Referring to the prosecution’s evidence that the complainant said she “woke up” during the alleged rape, Hoare argued the complainant had consumed alcohol and cocaine, which affected memory.

Crown prosecutor Nicole Friedewald told the court the complainant had agreed there was earlier consensual sex, but the charges related to what subsequently occurred and while she had been unconscious.

“What is required is consent to be given to each act of intercourse,” Friedewald said.

Friedewald said the complainant never consented to having sex without a condom and had told Lehrmann to stop attempting to have unprotected sex.

When the woman repositioned her body, forcing Lehrmann off her, the accused resumed his position to rape her, the court was told.

“He was consoling her throughout that act, saying: ‘it’s OK, it’s OK’. He continued having intercourse until he ejaculated inside of her,” Friedewald said.

Last edited:

From this thread's favourite rag, The Australian:

Ms Friedewald said the woman told police in her initial complaint on November 26 that “she had not yet accepted or come to terms with what had happened to her”.

The prosecutor also submitted text messages between the woman and a friend that occurred in the weeks following the assault.

“I just feel so shameful,” the woman wrote.

The friend responded, noting at the end: “You also need to think about whether you ever would want to report this to police. There are options to do that anonymously too, if you are worried”

The complainant then responded, “What do you mean report it?” to which her friend indicated that the woman had been sexually assaulted.

Ms Friedewald said: “The complainant does not at that time question whether that is in fact true.

“There is no dispute by her or confusion about what happened to her. Rather, what she immediately says is, ‘Who is going to believe me?’.”

All of the above having occurred before she realised that Bryce was Bruce shows someone grappling with a bad situation and hope that the jury / judge can see that.

Based on various articles and Bruce's lawyers' keenness to get a heap of electronic data from the complainant to start with has to do with the fact that they were cordial over Snapchat afterwards. I'm guessing Bruce's lawyers will angle that she only made the complaint after she clocked Bruce and want to spin the narrative of "her just chasing fame", rather than the narrative of her realising that he a serial sex pest.

That's covered by rule # 2 Treat everyone with decency and respect.

I think you’re you both referencing ‘The Golden Rule’, which is related to the Eastern concept of karma and is best summed up by the Biblical quote "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you; lest ye causeth an omnishambles.".

I think you’re you both referencing ‘The Golden Rule’, which is related to the Eastern concept of karma and is best summed up by the Biblical quote "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you; lest ye causeth an omnishambles.".
Yes, many idea's about what is wise recur through human history and I am happy to borrow from them. My favorite is when footy coaches say 'concentrate on what you can control'. This is a tenet of modern cognitive behavioural therapy, appears in Buddhism and can be traced back to classical times with the stoics. Humans don't change much.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back