The Bulldogs and Umpires: Time for a Royal Commission?

Remove this Banner Ad

Does anyone have the link to that article from Jake Niall? I understand it's a few years old so not sure how all that works.

Does anyone have the link to that article from Jake Niall? I understand it's a few years old so not sure how all that works.

Let me break the convo down for you:

AFL tick off and approve the umpiring from Saturday nights game.
Response: The afl are no good and make mistakes all the time.

AFL do not approve of the umpiring from the 2016 grand final.
Response: Hell yeah, go the AFL. You rule.

Let me break the convo down for you:

AFL tick off and approve the umpiring from Saturday nights game.
Response: The afl are no good and make mistakes all the time.

AFL do not approve of the umpiring from the 2016 grand final.
Response: Hell yeah, go the AFL. You rule.
Everybody will always support things like this when it suits their argument. It works both ways.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For anybody keen to revisit the "Bulldogs got gifted a flag :mad::mad::mad:" argument though here's a couple of quotes -

"The AFL review did not deem the overall umpiring performance to be poor, but the league’s view was that it was beneath the level expected, bearing in mind the highly-experienced and capable umpires who officiated — Matt Stevic, Simon Meredith and Scott Jeffery."

"While the Swans were on the receiving end of a lopsided free kick count, and their fans were incensed, the club has chosen not to make an issue of the umpiring and is mindful that it was beaten by 22 points and outplayed.

The Sydney coaches’ own review of the Grand Final largely attributed the loss to not having enough contributors from their 22 in comparison with the more evenly-performed Bulldogs."

For anybody keen to revisit the "Bulldogs got gifted a flag :mad::mad::mad:" argument though here's a couple of quotes -

"The AFL review did not deem the overall umpiring performance to be poor, but the league’s view was that it was beneath the level expected, bearing in mind the highly-experienced and capable umpires who officiated — Matt Stevic, Simon Meredith and Scott Jeffery."

"While the Swans were on the receiving end of a lopsided free kick count, and their fans were incensed, the club has chosen not to make an issue of the umpiring and is mindful that it was beaten by 22 points and outplayed.

The Sydney coaches’ own review of the Grand Final largely attributed the loss to not having enough contributors from their 22 in comparison with the more evenly-performed Bulldogs."
Yeah I thought I remember reading it had no bearing on the result.

That last quote is noteworthy though. The Sydney coaches’ own review of the Grand Final largely attributed the loss to not having enough contributors from their 22 in comparison with the more evenly-performed Bulldogs

I don't expect their supporters would agree but that's fine, I think those internally that review games would likely have a better idea than some mouth breathers on BigFooty.

That last quote is noteworthy though. The Sydney coaches’ own review of the Grand Final largely attributed the loss to not having enough contributors from their 22 in comparison with the more evenly-performed Bulldogs

I don't expect their supporters would agree but that's fine, I think those internally that review games would likely have a better idea than some mouth breathers on BigFooty.

The goal posts keep changing sadly. First we were cheaters, then the afl were cheaters, then it was accepted the afl couldn’t possibly match fix, then it was the individual umpires who cheat, then when the afl ticks off on the umpiring, the afl are no good/are corrupt again.

Rinse and repeat.

Nah, it's widely accepted by Swans fans that we didn't have enough contributors, and we named a few players that weren't fit enough that probably shouldn't have played.

Nah, it's widely accepted by Swans fans that we didn't have enough contributors, and we named a few players that weren't fit enough that probably shouldn't have played.
So is it widely accepted but not often acknowledged? Because I can't say I've ever seen a Western Bulldogs umpires-related thread that doesn't feature a large portion of Sydney fans putting the loss solely on the umpires. I realize it's unfair to pin-point Sydney supporters here as all supporters seem to do it but I genuinely only care about the opinions of two teams' supporters on that particular day.

I'm also not stupid. Clearly, the umpiring wasn't up to standard. I don't personally think there was enough of a break away from the standard to decide the game but it certainly wasn't perfect.

The goal posts keep changing sadly. First we were cheaters, then the afl were cheaters, then it was accepted the afl couldn’t possibly match fix, then it was the individual umpires who cheat, then when the afl ticks off on the umpiring, the afl are no good/are corrupt again.

Rinse and repeat.
I don't want to get into this argument again, it's a black hole for wasted time, but generally speaking, I wouldn't put much stock in AFL's internal reviews of the way games are officiated. It can help to demonstrate where incorrect decisions were made, but it's never going to be in their interest to say that a match was officiated inadequately. Stating that a game was poorly officiated is really just an own goal for them, and makes the league look incompetent. The laws of the game are so open to interpretation that there's really no incentive for them to concede that incorrect calls were made. That's just my opinion, though.

It does, however, mean that when they do come out and concede an incorrect call was made (see the non-HTB call to Bailey in Brisbane vs Geelong), it's all the more eyebrow raising becuase it virtually never happens.

I don't want to get into this argument again, it's a black hole for wasted time, but generally speaking, I wouldn't put much stock in AFL's internal reviews of the way games are officiated. It can help to demonstrate where incorrect decisions were made, but it's never going to be in their interest to say that a match was officiated inadequately. Stating that a game was poorly officiated is really just an own goal for them, and makes the league look incompetent. The laws of the game are so open to interpretation that there's really no incentive for them to concede that incorrect calls were made. That's just my opinion, though.

It does, however, mean that when they do come out and concede an incorrect call was made (see the non-HTB call to Bailey in Brisbane vs Geelong), it's all the more eyebrow raising becuase it virtually never happens.

Yeah fair enough mate!

It didn't help that Weightman did it against the most toxic fanbase in a final.

Thing is, he's the perfect example of what I'm talking about, even more than Hunter or McLean.

His gut running to effect smothers in the last two finals has been outstanding. Elite. Brave as hell and requiring real athletic ability

And he can take a speccy, and has licence to fly for them. Again, elite contested mark forward in that situation. Brave as hell and requiring real athletic ability.

But he also goes into some contests looking to win the free as the means of gaining possession. He's bloody good at it too. Elite. Smart as hell and requiring real athletic ability.
It's called trying to be first to the ball. He doesn't need frees. The minute he goes low to gather the ball anything an opponent does to try to stop him is likely to be illegal. Plus he's short. It's a hopeless position for any tall opponent to be in.

1630988433329.png

Cody's got the possession. The idiot tackler isn't even looking what he's doing. Cody's shoulder didn't send the arm up, that's where it landed.

Footy fans that talk about a lopsided free kick count or poor umpiring as evidence of favoritism to a team should be banned from talking about footy.

For example Richmond prefer to give away a free kick away then allowing the opposition players to play on. This allowed more time to set up behind the ball.

Remove this Banner Ad

The Bulldogs and Umpires: Time for a Royal Commission?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back