Opinion The 'Carlton related stuff that doesn't need it's own thread' thread Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

First huge test is against GWS in Round 6.

Norf are Norf, Fremantle is in Adelaide and Adelaide is at Marvel Stadium.
That doesn't mean we can't lose to one of the three in the second part of your sentence.

We've not yet earned the right to just assume we'll beat those we should.

Wrong. See 2022 for reasons % is vital also.
Ahh yes because every win should be by what? 30 points? 40 points? Would 50 points suffice? What's this magic number we need to win by?

It might become an issue down the track but if we win enough games, it doesn't matter.

For all we know we end up with a draw somewhere and then it matters almost nothing what our percentage is.

That doesn't mean we can't lose to one of the three in the second part of your sentence.

We've not yet earned the right to just assume we'll beat those we should.

It doesn’t mean that at all. Free and Crows will be tricky but they are all winnable games.

It doesn’t mean that at all. Free and Crows will be tricky but they are all winnable games.
There isn't a game we should go into this season where we think it's not winnable.

We won't win them all obviously but we've got the talent/coaching that we should be thinking we can beat any team on any given day.

There isn't a game we should go into this season where we think it's not winnable.

We won't win them all obviously but we've got the talent/coaching that we should be thinking we can beat any team on any given day.

Damn, there goes my bet for the year. :(

Last edited:
Ahh yes because every win should be by what? 30 points? 40 points? Would 50 points suffice? What's this magic number we need to win by?

It might become an issue down the track but if we win enough games, it doesn't matter.

For all we know we end up with a draw somewhere and then it matters almost nothing what our percentage is.
Let's not put words in each other's mouth.

All I'm saying is that every year, teams miss out on either a top 8, top 4 or a home final because of %.

When we should be putting teams away like Richmond with a ravaged bench, we need to take those opportunities to put ourselves in the best position at the end of the year.

Let's not put words in each other's mouth.

All I'm saying is that every year, teams miss out on either a top 8, top 4 or a home final because of %.

When we should be putting teams away like Richmond with a ravaged bench, we need to take those opportunities to put ourselves in the best position at the end of the year.

If you look hard enough, the extra win rather than percentage is the most important factor

With the current rules, it's difficult to maintain momentum swings.

With more games in a year, it's impossible to be at your best all year, game and quarters

For me, the priority would be scoreboard execution

If you look hard enough, the extra win rather than percentage is the most important factor

With the current rules, it's difficult to maintain momentum swings.

With more games in a year, it's impossible to be at your best all year, game and quarters

For me, the priority would be scoreboard execution
The two aren't mutually exclusive. You can win and win by a lot.

The two aren't mutually exclusive. You can win and win by a lot.
Tigers played the best they have in years last round, we aren't at full strength and we're coming off a massive game in Brisbane with Voss saying we had been undertaking a larger than normal running block to lead into the bye and set ourselves up for the season to be as fit as we can be.

I'm just glad we found a way to win

Tigers played the best they have in years last round, we aren't at full strength and we're coming off a massive game in Brisbane with Voss saying we had been undertaking a larger than normal running block to lead into the bye and set ourselves up for the season to be as fit as we can be.

I'm just glad we found a way to win
Not good enough.

Would rather win the games we should win without having to go full throttle this early in the year. Only go full throttle against fellow contenders. On the back end of last year we were obliterating teams until the Gold Coast game.

We really don't want to be peaking until later in the year. Beat the Kangas, Freo and Adel by small margins and then beat fellow contenders GWS? Any day of the week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As per fox sports power rankings:

“Start beating bad teams properly then we’ll believe in you as a contender”.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Bit early to tell who are the good and who are the bad at this time of year isn't it. Tigers still had 14 premiership players in that side and will still trouble a lot of sides, if they can stay fit, they will still have to be respected. They gave Lynch, Nankervis and Martin an extra week to be fresh for us. Still early days, we want to win enough games to make finals and peak come finals time

Agree that it is just good to win.

Then i think back to early 2023. We won some early games and except for the Cats game 'how' we won was a bit off like the tigers draw that we should of won. It ended up being a precursor to the crap that followed up to round 13.

So is 'how' we win important? I still don't know but I'm looking forward to finding out over the games post North.

Am I happy with our start. YES! I'm just nervy about Carlton's floor/ceiling formline.

Bit early to tell who are the good and who are the bad at this time of year isn't it. Tigers still had 14 premiership players in that side and will still trouble a lot of sides, if they can stay fit, they will still have to be respected. They gave Lynch, Nankervis and Martin an extra week to be fresh for us. Still early days, we want to win enough games to make finals and peak come finals time
This is spot on and aligns with the previous posters comments.

Richmond had terrible luck on the night but they still had a large core of players who with their vast experience, know how to play their opposition and have great game awareness.

I don't expect them to able play much better than they did during the course of our game, and they certainly played better than they did against the GC and much of last season.

I see them as a team that can 'steal' points away from the better teams and outplay weaker opponents, given their current aging list and too few bright up and comers they'll finish ninth this year:tearsofjoy: and continue down the ladder from there!!!

Complain we didn't win by 11 goals.
Not directed at you Pabs, but I do think we as a supporter group lose sight of the fact that each and every opponent is hell bent on winning too and very rarely does a good team play the perfect game.

I would love to win every game by 5 goals but it's not going to happen even against lower rung teams.

As Vossy has stated numerous the humility he wants us to display means that we approach every game knowing that we are at risk of being beaten......... in my thoughts "to hell with the percentage if it means we cross the line in front!!!!!!!!!!!!"

If we don’t finish top 4 after home and away it’s a fail for the season.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

the defining part of the season will be the block of games against all the contenders - bank the wins early is really important this will be a close run comp this year
Agreed. The Brisbane win was huge for that reason. Might be the difference between playing them up there or down here in finals.

Sent from my SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Bigfooty at its best. A full page arguing back and forth over percentage and then redirection to wins are more important than percentage.

• Percentage is important so if we can win by more then great. If we can't then there is a reason for it. We cant because we arent good enough.
  • Yes, wins are definitely more important than percentage.

Next topic...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back