the church

Remove this Banner Ad

In chronological order.

Heyday
Starfish
Gold Afternoon Fix
Hologram of Baal
Untitled #23

A lot of people have Priest=Aura in their top 5 Church albums but apart from Ripple it left me pretty cold.

Heyday, Starfish and Gold Afternoon are all classic Church albums that got me into the band as a youngster.

Hologram of Baal was the revival of The Church with the return of Peter Koppes and Tim Powles joining the band. Sometime Anywhere and Magician Among the Spirits were lacklustre without Koppes, it just isn't The Church without him.

Untitled #23 was a modern day Church classic with the likes of Anchorage and Deadman's Hand and highly acclaimed by music critics.

Hologram of Baal would be my favourite Church album, underrated mostly due to it's godawful name it contains some of my favourite Church songs like Louisiana, Anaesthesia, Ricochet and Another Earth.

This song is probably the pick of Hologram of Baal though, a little known Church gem.

Forget Yourself and After Everything Now This have their moments too with the likes of Sealine, Telepath, Numbers, Night Friends etc. You can't really go wrong with any Church albums though, they all have some good music worth listening to,

Last edited:

I was never that much of a fan of Unguarded Moment tbh.

I was just a kid in The Church's early days though, I was more a fan of Duran Duran back then.

I bought Hindsight when I got older just to 'book up' on their early days.

Standout tracks apart from the obvious ones like 'Almost With You' and 'Myrrh' was this song off Remote Luxury.

So good it has become the name of a Church fansite.

http://www.shadowcabinet.net/454/

Listening to heyday now. What a great sounding album. Perfect lush pop music for the morning. Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside like that debut rain parade album (same era) sk certainly knows how to write special melodies that feel like you have heard them before.. but sound fresh. Disenchanted, columbus
And mrryh stood out the strongest on my first listen. Its def an album ill be coming back to

Myrrh is a great song.

Tantalized off that album is another great song off that album and always brings the house down at their live shows.

They did an amazing rendition of that song at their induction into the ARIA Hall of Fame with the backing of a symphony orchestra.

Steve Kilbey's acceptance speech that night was memorable too.

Thats not steve singing on the song the view is it? Bonus song on heyday. Realgood choon that

That would be Marty Willson-Piper, he quite often sings his own songs.

Most Church albums he'll sing at least one song, not a bad singer but a much better guitarist.

What a band. I grew up on them, soundtracking plenty of car trips to Perth, but I dig them on their own merits now. They really make that post-punky aesthetic sound Australian – a rare feat, and something not even the Go-Betweens really mastered.

I picked up the radio songs collection for cheap and it has not left my car cd player, saw them on a weird Freakmantly night in 2007 on the same bill as Divinyls (RIP Chrissy) and Chris Issak off all people, but it was very windy and the sound system not the best to appreciate the beauty and brilliance of their material. I like a lot of their darker brooding 90's and more recent tunes over their 80's stuff, but overall what consistent quality in their music. Louisiana and Numbers and Ripple are tremendous tunes, there was not one dud tune on the collection and the best $5 I spent in years

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have only listened to 3 Church albums:

1. Heyday is my favourite. Such a lush, flowing sound throughout the entire album.
2. Starfish was also very good. It was more mainstream as it possessed a more readily accessible sound
3. Gold Afternoon Fix left me cold. Sadly, I stopped listening to the Church after this. Maybe I will check out Priest=Aura based on what others have said about it.

wait. hang on.. What!
i thought SK left the church himself a few years back and that was that.
Its all to confusing..

been on P=A lately and its the bomb. As good as they Say..
Heyday a close second i think..

The Church hated Waddy Wachtel, tried to make them too commercial even though those two albums broke them overseas.

You very rarely hear any of the songs off those albums played live, Under the Milky Way very rarely gets played and Metropolis never gets played, mandolin is tricky to produce live though.

They play this song a fair bit though.

]

Terrific closer off GAF.

As was the opener.

GAF is better than P=A imo.

Great band, I know it's almost a Church cliche but how can this thread exist without this?

I go to a better place when I hear this song.

Remove this Banner Ad

the church

Remove this Banner Ad

Back