the church

Remove this Banner Ad

forget yourself is a notch above after everything and equal with hologram as my fav church album so far. just love the vibe on the album. the drums sound like they were recorded separately.. its really sparse and raw.. but it still has all them pretty church hallmarks..

plus it has this unreal moment right in the middle of it.
such a surreal, eerie cool song.

this ****ing band eh

Seem to be a band who just kept going a bit too long, I think. Maybe that's harsh. They just seemed to coast though, which is also something I could probably say about another of my favourite Aussie bands, The Lucksmiths, too (speaking of which – any fans here?).

Some cracker singles but aside from Starfish, Blurred Crusade, and Skins and Heart I just struggle to get through an LP. I love the guitar sound though and it being played a lot in houses and cars as a kid is probably what drove me to adopt post-punk-revivalism as my default genre. They really did well to hit a nuanced, perfected Australian variant on that jagged guitar tone, though.
Yes silent alarm , just love the lucksmiths , got a lot of their stuff just tragically underrated like so many great aussie bands , in this land of puss laden commercial fm radio , but back to the thread title , the church have been a huge presence over my life , ever since seeing the album launch for the blurred crusade , back in 82? , in a dingy club in smith st c,wood/fitroy , seen about 12 other times over the journey , right up to the forum 2 years ago , even SK solo at the old continental cafe years ago ,just love his two early lps unearthed and the slow crack, to all you church fans out there with a t.box you must watch the church accoustic on the music videos in, i think, the roots/blues section. I agree with lots on this forum that the hologram of Baal, is their best album but there is a few early EP's that were crackers; sing songs with their version of 'I am a rock' on it. long live the church.

To the ppl that have recommended some of their albums in this thread...a big thank you as I have had a bit of a splurge recently and picked up (in no particular order)...
Uninvited, Like the Clouds
Untitled #23, and,
After Everything Now This

Have to say, after only owning 4 of their earlier albums I am pleasantly surprised by those above...have had them playing frequently...

cheers

col
just listening to After Everything Now This

looking forward to recieving my copy..

In April 2011, celebrating a 30 year Anniversary and recent ARIA Hall of Fame induction, Australian musical icons THE CHURCH played a spectacular sold out show at the Sydney Opera House. This Psychedelic Symphony was a one-off musical event and fan treat, featuring the bands' collaboration with conductor George Ellis and his specially assembled Orchestra. Filmed by XYZ, it is finally released on a two disc DVD set; a timeless must have for fans and all music lovers alike. It also available CD Audio-Only double set- including pullout artwork from the show night program.

The next chapter for the church is upon us! We are proud to announce the release of our 25th studio album Further/Deeper. It will be released on October 17 in Aus/NZ with the rest of the world release dates coming soon. It will be available on CD, digital and vinyl.
The only place you can pre-order now is the church merch store. When purchasing the CD or digital album you will receive an download of first taste from the album “Pride Before A Fall” within 48 hours and you will also receive a bonus track of “The Girl Is Buoyant” on 17 October. The vinyl is a double album and comes with a digital download card and contains 3 extra tracks than the CD. The release of Further/Deeper will be followed by live dates where the band will play the new album in full!

http://thechurchband.net/2014/09/furtherdeeper/

new album next week
been bumping this song plenty

pretty, spooky..
pretty spooky song
always melodic

and reaching for another place

:cry:
I especially like the bit from 2:04 - 2:34
one of them moments that surprises you
this band does that plenty

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I listened numerous times to Starfish and Gold Afternoon Fix recently.

Both have that real nostalgic aussie feel about them in production.

Combine both as one album onto a cd and its pretty much greatest hits quality.

Doing some research it was an interesting time for the band, it seems they don't have much love for Gold Afternoon Fix and it seems they didn't enjoy recording Starfish either with the singer reluctantly taking vocal lessons.

Remove this Banner Ad

the church

Remove this Banner Ad

Back