The Cricket Writing Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes. If you enjoyed it, try get your hands on another thinking Ed who ground his way to national selection, this one being of the Smith variety. Had a couple of diaries in similar format which were excellent in their openness.

Also, another guy who can tell a heck of a story is Simon Hughes. English seamer from a while back, who has been a commentator for quite a few years now. Gives a fantastic perspective of a professional cricketer going through the ups and downs of a season.

Apparently there is a new Lehmann book out too.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/magazine/content/story/1077343.html

Yes. If you enjoyed it, try get your hands on another thinking Ed who ground his way to national selection, this one being of the Smith variety. Had a couple of diaries in similar format which were excellent in their openness.

Also, another guy who can tell a heck of a story is Simon Hughes. English seamer from a while back, who has been a commentator for quite a few years now. Gives a fantastic perspective of a professional cricketer going through the ups and downs of a season.

Apparently there is a new Lehmann book out too.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/magazine/content/story/1077343.html

What the article hints at being Lehmann's book's greatest flaw is the reason I have no interest in reading it: the story hasn't finished yet. Also, I bet it's boring as hell after hearing his "insights" on the BBL commentary.

It's a plus one from me on Simon Hughes' books. A Lot of Hard Yakka won the William Hill Sports book of the year twenty odd years ago, and gives a good insight into the life of a county pro, plus points for great insights into Brearley too. Yakking around the World, it's sequel is not dissimilar except it's based in NZ, and Africa.

I'd go with Dennis Lillee first
I did, and it was brilliant. Young people of today have no appreciation of what a phenomenon Lillee was. He was an incredible bowler, but he's also an incredible Australian.

I did, and it was brilliant. Young people of today have no appreciation of what a phenomenon Lillee was. He was an incredible bowler, but he's also an incredible Australian.

His role in the Kim Hughes saga knocks him down a level or two, in my eyes. He behaved reprehensibly!

His role in the Kim Hughes saga knocks him down a level or two, in my eyes. He behaved reprehensibly!
A lot of the guys in the top ranks of WSC have proved themselves to be absolute campaigners at times. DK, Rod Marsh, I Chappell among them.

I heard Kim Hughes asked for the 1,000th time recently why he wouldn't ever write a book, despite the huge interest there would be. Simple answer: he's mates with all those blokes now and doesn't want to say anything bad about them, not for all the money in the world.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not a name dropper by nature, but I was lucky enough to discuss Mystery Spinner with Mr Haigh himself.
I infrequently email him, and he always responds. He's receptive to his readers, I saw him at the Writer's Week do for On Warne too, and he was very generous with his time.

He did a Q&A along with Ed Cowan at the Australian premiere of Death of a Gentleman. Was extremely interesting, he has no problem being frank about his views.

It's a plus one from me on Simon Hughes' books. A Lot of Hard Yakka won the William Hill Sports book of the year twenty odd years ago, and gives a good insight into the life of a county pro, plus points for great insights into Brearley too. Yakking around the World, it's sequel is not dissimilar except it's based in NZ, and Africa.

A Lot of Hard Yakka was the one I was lucky enough to get a hold of. Haven't yet got onto Yakking around the World so will keep an eye out.

+1 to the Haigh appreciation. Haven't ever dealt with him myself, but is always exceptional insightful and reasoned in everything I have read from him (and seen on TV for that matter).

Gideon is one of the only writers who brings a wider view of the game incorporating its politics. You always learn something when reading his stuff.
Kimber changed the game with his IDGAF style.
Dane Eldridge and Dan Liebke on The Roar do the best cricket satire. You don't need to be mainstream to be good.
Richard Hinds and Greg Baum tell the best stories in newsprint.
George Dobell is the best English news breaker.
Ahmer Naquvi on Cricinfo tells the best stories on Cricket Monthly that intertwine Pakistani cricket and pop culture.

Gideon is one of the only writers who brings a wider view of the game incorporating its politics. You always learn something when reading his stuff.
Dane Eldridge and Dan Liebke on The Roar do the best cricket satire. You don't need to be mainstream to be good.
Ahmer Naquvi on Cricinfo tells the best stories on Cricket Monthly that intertwine Pakistani cricket and pop culture.

That's a good summary there. I think Kimber is starting to pick up with some of the political stuff that Gideon writes about too, but with his own unique style (which some people really don't like, but I love). What's really great is that the level of cricket writing has really gone up a LOT in the last decade. Some of the articles already listed in this thread would be appealing even to people that hate the game.

The Cricket Monthly is a godsend.

Remove this Banner Ad

The Cricket Writing Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back