Preview The Curious Case of the Two Grand Finalists Geelong v Sydney at GHMBA

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I cringe whenever I think of last year's GF, and some on here have suggested they pull more than a few swifties with generous payments to some players' partners to dodge the salary cap, but overall I respect the club greatly.

That's not Geelong fault for taking advantage of the system.

We would do the same if we could AFL is one of the more lopsided sporting competitions.

I cringe whenever I think of last year's GF, and some on here have suggested they pull more than a few swifties with generous payments to some players' partners to dodge the salary cap, but overall I respect the club greatly.
Completely agree, I respect the club and the way it's run and their supporters, never had a problem with a Cat's fan, even through their incredible years in the late 00's.
Their fans were brilliant after that debacle last year, did not hear one jeer or snide remark on the way out of the ground or throughout the evening. They were incredibly magnanamus, just like I'd like to think our supporters would be if the roles were reversed.
Unlike those arseholes in 2016 and 2014 😡

Agreed. Even if not all their supporters agreed with the directive, they all abided by it and the club should be applauded and respected for taking a stand.

Every passing year since paints the AFL and the other clubs in a poorer and poorer light for having done nothing.
AFL & other clubs done nothing? thats a bit unfair.. Collingwood just apologised for the racial abuse of Nicky Winmar. The fact that it took them 30 years is beside the point.

On Geelong.. Feel theres a bit too much love for them on this board, and hope we flog 'em this weekend by 10 goals! Cant stand Dangerfield, or Hawkins or ............. too many names to write

No problem with Geelong or it’s fans. They took Gary Rohan off our hands.

At the end of the day if you’ve been through Geelong, a football team is the only hope they have.

I hope we win this week, it won’t make up for last year but it will put us 8 points ahead of them on the ladder.

No problem with Geelong or it’s fans. They took Gary Rohan off our hands.

At the end of the day if you’ve been through Geelong, a football team is the only hope they have.

I hope we win this week, it won’t make up for last year but it will put us 8 points ahead of them on the ladder.
Agree with all points - well maybe not the second coz I've never actually been to Geelong, landed at Avalon airport the one time I ever flew Jetstar, but that's as close as I've gotten.

Agree with all points - well maybe not the second coz I've never actually been to Geelong, landed at Avalon airport the one time I ever flew Jetstar, but that's as close as I've gotten.
I lived south of Geelong in the mid 80’s and Geelong was a depressing place back then. In 04 watched the Swans play at Kardina and Geelong hadn’t changed.

It will be interesting to see what our approach is.

I think we will need to match them in midfield with our contested possession, centre clearance and defensive running. In the West Coast game, Geelong's midfield were able to regularly run out of centre bounces and contests which exposed West Coast's defence.

Obviously in attack, we should try to avoid high dump kicks unless Hayward, Heeney and Papley can lead into space. Unless we are counter attacking, we might try to work the ball around more with switches and trying to get runners from half back.

I think we will miss McCartin in defence. He usually matches up well with Hawkins and then we could have had Fox on Cameron. I feel we will need to bring in Gould or Francis into defence. They probably won't lock down well on Geelong's best forwards. But it helps to have another tall natural defender. I don't think we can get away with an undersized makeshift defence every week.

Not sure how potent a forward line of McLean, McDonald and Francis will be.

We have extra defenders in Gould and maybe Rampe/McCartin returning from injury. We have enough defenders, but AFL level forwards is the worry.

Surely they swing Tom McCartin or Blakey forward for a game.
There’s a bloke called Papley in our forward line.

And a blonde chap called Heeney.

Oh, and a fella called Hayward who is handy too.

I think we’ll be just fine.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah same club is run fantastically and I really respect that

Completely agree, I respect the club and the way it's run and their supporters, never had a problem with a Cat's fan, even through their incredible years in the late 00's.
Their fans were brilliant after that debacle last year, did not hear one jeer or snide remark on the way out of the ground or throughout the evening. They were incredibly magnanamus, just like I'd like to think our supporters would be if the roles were reversed.
Unlike those arseholes in 2016 and 2014 😡
But before this turns into a total Geelong lovefest, I hope we smash them mercilessly.

I live in Geelong, a stones throw from the Barwon Club hotel - the publican is Matt McCartin - father of Tom and Paddy. He is a bloody great bloke. Always has the swans games on and is the closest pub to Kardinia Park. (100m away). Tom comes in and pours beers over the summer break to help his old man out.

Geelong is a great place to live but let me tell you, after the grand final pizzling we copped, after getting off the train on the way back from the MCG and walking through the town centre with the whole city closed off there were too many flogs who weren't humble winners. I was very disappointed. I suppose that's what happens with young blokes and 20 cans does, not really a true reflection on the club and the their supporters.

I got the vibe from Horse that Clarke is in his best 22. Not overly surprising, he did play all the back end of last year. Just wasn't sure if he'd still be in that frame after injuries, new players coming through. I suspect in particular Horse would be eyeing off the Nick Daicos match-up in a few weeks time.

Cunningham probably needed to have a better start to his year than he's had to this point if Horse wants Clarke back.

I live in Geelong, a stones throw from the Barwon Club hotel - the publican is Matt McCartin - father of Tom and Paddy. He is a bloody great bloke. Always has the swans games on and is the closest pub to Kardinia Park. (100m away). Tom comes in and pours beers over the summer break to help his old man out.

Yep. We have reached out to let Matt know we are advertising the Barwon as a pre match venue over on the FB group. Goes for everyone in here too, come for a bev before the game if you were lucky enough to get tickets.

I got the vibe from Horse that Clarke is in his best 22. Not overly surprising, he did play all the back end of last year. Just wasn't sure if he'd still be in that frame after injuries, new players coming through. I suspect in particular Horse would be eyeing off the Nick Daicos match-up in a few weeks time.

Cunningham probably needed to have a better start to his year than he's had to this point if Horse wants Clarke back.
How many predominantly defensive players can we run … at the moment we have Parker, Rowbottom and Harry. I really am not looking forward to a Clarke selection even if he just replaces Harry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back