the day the earth stood still

Remove this Banner Ad

yeh bulldogs supporters are pretty dam bad.

Throwing bottles at David Peachey and Simon Woolford.
Ganging up and harrassing Raiders fans because they lost to them, also stealing the Sydney Green Brigade's banner.......... that was just late this year. They really do have some bad supporters if you can call them that.

Originally posted by Tutaki
Rugby League could once claim Australia's most popular sport easily (1950-60s). What were our crowd figures then? They weren't higher then what they are now. Were going really well and I think its fair to sat that we are well beyond recovering.

I don't think so. VFL attendances were always bigger than NSWRL:

http://www.fullpointsfooty.net
1958 Record VFL home and away crowd of 99,346 sees Melbourne defeat Collingwood at MCG on 15 June.

From http://NSWRL.com.au
1965 A record Australian attendance was set when 78,056 fans watched the Sydney Grand Final between St. George and South Sydney.

Though I've seen pictures of the 1965 crowd at the SCG and it's insane. People sitting on the roofs of the grandstands.

It's amazing no one got killed. Or maybe they did, and no-one really worried about it back then.

Originally posted by holc
yeh bulldogs supporters are pretty dam bad.

Throwing bottles at David Peachey and Simon Woolford.
Ganging up and harrassing Raiders fans because they lost to them, also stealing the Sydney Green Brigade's banner.......... that was just late this year. They really do have some bad supporters if you can call them that.

Yeah at the year before at Bruce Stadium... The same week the Bulldogs got deducted there 37 competition points, the amount of harrassment we got from raiders supporters (A few) was unbelievable... They also had big wooden spoons and were hitting some Bulldog supporters with them... Again It was never in the media... Imagine if Doggie supporters did that too Raiders supporters?
We also outnumbered Raiders supporters too at Canberra... Has that ever happened? A Sydney team outnumbering Raiders supporters At Canberra? Bulldog supporters are the most passionate supporters a couple of idiots shouldn't taint that... When you say Bulldog supporters this and Bulldog supporters that, you are putting down thousand upon thousand of good, passionate RL supporters because of no more then 10 idiots...

And by the way they are not supporters the ones that cause trouble... Like ten of them go to games cause trouble and swear at Jews in Arabic, they dont go there to cheer the Bulldogs or even watch the game... They are a disgrace to the Lebanese community, a disgrace too the RL community and a disgrace too Australia!

Originally posted by Luc
I don't think so. VFL attendances were always bigger than NSWRL:

http://www.fullpointsfooty.net
1958 Record VFL home and away crowd of 99,346 sees Melbourne defeat Collingwood at MCG on 15 June.

From http://NSWRL.com.au
1965 A record Australian attendance was set when 78,056 fans watched the Sydney Grand Final between St. George and South Sydney.

Though I've seen pictures of the 1965 crowd at the SCG and it's insane. People sitting on the roofs of the grandstands.

It's amazing no one got killed. Or maybe they did, and no-one really worried about it back then.

Well if there was a stadium that fit 100,000 people it was of gotten that!!+

Yeah at the year before at Bruce Stadium... The same week the Bulldogs got deducted there 37 competition points, the amount of harrassment we got from raiders supporters (A few) was unbelievable... They also had big wooden spoons and were hitting some Bulldog supporters with them... Again It was never in the media... Imagine if Doggie supporters did that too Raiders supporters?
We also outnumbered Raiders supporters too at Canberra... Has that ever happened? A Sydney team outnumbering Raiders supporters At Canberra? Bulldog supporters are the most passionate supporters a couple of idiots shouldn't taint that... When you say Bulldog supporters this and Bulldog supporters that, you are putting down thousand upon thousand of good, passionate RL supporters because of no more then 10 idiots...

And by the way they are not supporters the ones that cause trouble... Like ten of them go to games cause trouble and swear at Jews in Arabic, they dont go there to cheer the Bulldogs or even watch the game... They are a disgrace to the Lebanese community, a disgrace too the RL community and a disgrace too Australia!

the reason bulldogs supporters outnumber home supporters is because they are so bloody scared of the Bulldogs supporters espescially at night!!!!!

Originally posted by LebaneseForces

We also outnumbered Raiders supporters too at Canberra... Has that ever happened? A Sydney team outnumbering Raiders supporters At Canberra? Bulldog supporters are the most passionate supporters a couple of idiots shouldn't taint that...

It's a shame that a few of the fans spoil your guys reputation but i dont think its much of a co-incidence that you don't get lots of away supporters travelling to Belmore and the Showgrounds when their team is playing you guys. I've got relatives that live at Hurlstone park and they are getting on a bit so they don't go to the canterbury games anymore. They say it's taking your life in your own hands, especially when you have to rely on public transport to get to and from the game with the dogs supporters on the train and THEY ARE DOGS SUPPORTERS THEMSELVES!!!

anyway, granted it was a few years ago but i travelled to Belmore (it must have been 1998 or 99 cos they were playing Manly) and our guys were on the losing side that day, but that didnt stop a group of 50-100 hoons from throwing their empty coke bottles and half eaten pies at us, and swearing violently in front of children and elderly people. We didn't retaliate for fear of physical violence involving sharp metal implements and perhaps a pistol or two. Very ungracious winners. i vowed not to ever go to Belmore again, but i hope things are better at the showgrounds or stad oz these days.

PS: and i'm not having a go at you, but every last one of them was of Lebanese appearance, so it's really unfortunate for you being Lebanese yourself not being amongst that group that you would get smeared with the same brush. And they are a minority of the crowd, but 100 violent ones in a crowd of 15,000 really is not a good look.

Originally posted by Tutaki
Rugby League could once claim Australia's most popular sport easily (1950-60s). What were our crowd figures then? They weren't higher then what they are now. Were going really well and I think its fair to sat that we are well beyond recovering.

Nice try. A for effort though.

Average attendances:

NSWRL (VFL):
1957 - 10100 (23510)
1958 - 9462 (22159)
1959 - 8531 (21896)
1960 - 9262 (21214)
1961 - 9606 (24420)
1962 - 9260 (25356)
1963 - 9005 (25413)
1964 - 11467 (23482)
1965 - 10702 (23735)
1966 - 12262 (23981)
1967 - 11852 (22452)
1968 - 12854 (20202)
1969 - 12142 (20699)

Also - in the 50s and 60s the population difference wasn't anywhere near as much in favour of the northern states as it is now.

Sydney only overtook Melbourne as Australia's largest city in the 60s.

Also - the NSWAFL (under a few different names) has been around since 1903, whereas club league in Melbourne only dates from about 30 years ago.

Saying that RL has ever been the biggest code in Australia is fairly tenuous. If ever, the 80s would be the time I'd guess that it may have been ahead.

Originally posted by holc
the reason bulldogs supporters outnumber home supporters is because they are so bloody scared of the Bulldogs supporters espescially at night!!!!!

That game was played on a sunday... Nicko you got good points... It is a damn shame that these idiots stuff it up for everyone... It reminds me of school when 5 or 6 idiots wreck it for the whole year...
Canterbury's home crowd would be so much more if these idiots never went and give the club which has done so much promotion and good work in the community a bad name with opposition supporters... I can honestly say that there has not been more then a few hundred away supporters (At Best for the last 3-4 years) at Bulldog games but yet we still have the 2nd highest Home Crowd Average...

The sooner these idiots get locked away or banned for life the better for all!

Originally posted by LebaneseForces

Canterbury's home crowd would be so much more if these idiots never went and give the club which has done so much promotion and good work in the community a bad name with opposition supporters...

i agree, and these guys claim to be the passionate supporters. apparantly you are dubbed "not passionate" if you do not undertake in vitriolic attacks at the opposition, or are not prepared to bleed for your club.

Originally posted by Mickey
People will always have an opinion over which code is better, I'm partial to neither as I follow AFL and cricket (I live in Canberra) but there are a few things that Rugby League need to do to reach the heights of a world cup as was witnessed over the past 6 weeks here in Australia. Sure some of the games were one sided, but at least the countries who competed gave it their best. From what I remember, there used to be a World Cup in League, but it fell apart due to poor crowds and made up teams like Lebanon and Russia. Sure the marketing for the Union was huge but its more of a world game than League. Soccer will always be the number 1 world sport due to participation though.

League needs to do something about International football, only having 24000 people turn up to a test is pretty pathetic I must say. We get more to a club game of AFL.

I like Union, League is ok but the sports seem far apart in regards to fan base when it comes to test matches. The only thing League has is State of Origin, but only 2 states and a territory care about that, they need to get better or they will crash and burn in the future. I'm sure Super 12 will grow from this and the team base will expand. The Brumbies usually sell out games when ever they play, where the Raiders fail to get 5000 to a game. What can you do to improve this?? I dont think Murdoch cares anymore, his Super 12 has taken off, Foxtel has 2 dedicated channels to AFL, NRL only gets a few live games on the weekend, no dedicated channel. I'd be dissapointed if I was a league fan and a bit worried about the future due to the World Cup, you people need to start thinking about the future, no one gets behind the Kangaroos like they do the Wallabies.

You are a misinformed git.

All THREE Ashes Tests were SOLD OUT. SOLD OUT. There have been many NRL club games which have outdrawn those, so what? The RLWC was as good as the Yawnyawn crap we just had to put up with, but the RLWC was flogged to death by the toff-infested press. The worst blwoout was 110-4, which is alot more competitive than 142-0.

The Raiders average was around 13,000 this season. Plus, you are trying to compare a club competition to a provincial one. Now, let's start on the 80,000 who turned up to SOO comapred to the 20,000 at S12 level? All you are doing is showing the strength of the NRL club comp as a provincial comp with mass promotion struggles to outdraw a club comp.

FOX Sports' best rating show is the NRL Super Saturday, and the VFL Channels have been a massive flop. It's better for League to be on mainstream FS because only the diehard VFL supporters will pay extra for that channel.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by nicko18
the NRL is not a club/suburban competition. It is more akin to S12 than it is the Tooheys Cup.

Of course it is a club competition??

Remove this Banner Ad

the day the earth stood still

Remove this Banner Ad

Back