Health The Dentist

Remove this Banner Ad

Is there a worse place?
a8bff03b36f47535d29388c87eeb720e.jpg

Me, too. Farkin nightmare, and I don't even know why.

It got to the stage where I had a big panic attack in the chair about 3 or 4 years ago. It was farkin horrible. I sat up suddenly and spat shit out all over the joint; couldn't breath; it was hard to swallow. Fortunately, the tooth being worked was a side/front molar, so, after a getting my shit together after a few minutes, the dentist could quickly finish it while I was sitting up with my mouth barely open.

So, the dentist gave me a script for oxazepam for subsequent visits. It works, but I'd still like something stronger :D I'm 78kg, and 15mg does nothing, although the doc reckons it reduces extreme anxiety without you noticing. However, now he lets me take 30mg.

Luckily, I was with one of the more tolerant dentists at the clinic. I was at an endodontist many years ago who got shits when I bumped his tray.
He knew I was anxious, so he told me to raise my hand if I was having any problems. So, I put my hand up at one stage, knocking his tool tray. heck me.
He got grumpy and quickly put a temporary filling over the work so the appointment ended. Fat turd :D

To be honest I don't actually mind the dentist. Sure it's a little uncomfortable sitting there but it's generally not that bad

I don't like how they talk when you're mouth is open as wide as it goes and they have kitchen utensils feeling around in there and the assistant is blasting shit in there as well.

You know right now I can't answer your question, better then anyone.

It's the main reason I don't like going.

I'm basically paying $200 to feel uncomfortable for twenty minutes, unbelievably similar to a brothel - when you think about it.

I dont mind it if it isn't too long. Last time I was there it was for 2-3 hours so was quite uncomfortable. Funniest part was when they got me to rinse but my mouth was so numb I just spat it everywhere. And yep trying to have a conversation during it is just stupid.

Me, too. Farkin nightmare, and I don't even know why.

Yep.

It was completely irrational for me. Used to go every 6 months up to the age of about 21. Then I got told all 4 wisdom teeth would have to come out.

Just kept putting it off until recently (I'm 27 now). Was squirming like a worm when the dentist was pulling the wisdom tooth out. To be honest it didnt even hurt at all. One day later it doesn't hurt either.

The thought of what they are doing is worse than anything.

Yep.

It was completely irrational for me. Used to go every 6 months up to the age of about 21. Then I got told all 4 wisdom teeth would have to come out.

Just kept putting it off until recently (I'm 27 now). Was squirming like a worm when the dentist was pulling the wisdom tooth out. To be honest it didnt even hurt at all. One day later it doesn't hurt either.

The thought of what they are doing is worse than anything.
Upper or lower? From what I know, uppers are generally less drama, with less post-extraction swelling. I had an upper out a few months ago, and it was a breeze.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Upper or lower? From what I know, uppers are generally less drama, with less post-extraction swelling. I had an upper out a few months ago, and it was a breeze.

Yeah upper. Your right. No swelling hardly at all. One day later and I'm almost 100%.

Lucky I keep fairly good care of my teeth so didn't need any fillings or anything. Even with like 6 years no dentist.

I've never understood why people fear the dentist. They just have a look around your mouth for a bit and that's it. If you're getting a tooth pulled out it might be a bit concerning but they still give you painkillers to numb it right?
Depends what you get done. The needle they give to numb the area can hurt a lot or not hurt at all depending on where they have to put it. You can still feel a bit of pain if they are removing or shaving teeth. It hurts afterwards.

I've never understood why people fear the dentist. They just have a look around your mouth for a bit and that's it. If you're getting a tooth pulled out it might be a bit concerning but they still give you painkillers to numb it right?

It only takes one bad experience for your opinion to change. I myself always feared the dentist, it was just uncomfortable for me (one of those that hates sticking things in my mouth... heck if I push the toothbrush too far in and it goes just past my back teeth I start gagging lol) and hated having hands holding my lips open and the drill/cleaner/sucking devices being in my mouth (not all 3 at once lol). Didn't like the sensation it caused, overall I jut hate the noise (like nails on a chalkboard). I am also someone that hates even mildly windy days (feels like I am drowning with the air blowing in my face).

My REALLY bad experience came when I was 18, had to get my final baby tooth pulled out (had a problem over the years where quite a few baby teeth wouldn't pop out and let the adult ones grow through properly, thus the dentist had to yank them out himself). The bottom tooth just wouldn't budge, so the dentist did anything and everything to get it out but he still could only remove half of it. My jaw was stuffed for almost a month afterward. I didn't actually return to a dentist (funnily enough the same one) until nearly 10 years later. He examined my teeth and said i had a broken tooth.... I was like duhhhhhhhhhhh you did it to me :D. The amusing thing was it popped straight out when he pulled the bit of tooth out, dentist technology must have improved in the time I elected not to go back haha.

I don't mind going now though, I get my teeth cleaned every 6 months. I do brush 2 times a day, but plague still builds up in harder to reach areas.

Last edited:
It only takes one bad experience for your opinion to change. I myself always feared the dentist, it was just uncomfortable for me (one of those that hates sticking things in my mouth... heck if I push the toothbrush too far in and it goes just past my back teeth I start gagging lol) .

Ever had a mould taken of your teeth? They are the worst.

Also Orthodontist >>> Dentist any day. I went through the whole braces process without any issues at all, was fine.

No problems with the dentist. Can't see why so many people hate it, unless they have shit dentists. My dentist is friendly and loves a joke, and does a great job. Anything that involves pain he makes sure you're numb, and always starts the drill or whatever for a few seconds and then stops and asks if you can still feel it.

Definitely not something that actual adults should be concerned about.

Remove this Banner Ad

Health The Dentist

Remove this Banner Ad

Back