Unsolved The Disappearance of Mum Bronwyn Winfield - NSW * Hedley Thomas podcast

Remove this Banner Ad

On the evening of May 16 1993, a regular Sunday night, NSW mum Bronwyn Winfield said goodnight to her daughters and was never seen again.

The night of Ms Winfield’s disappearance, she was reportedly arguing with her estranged husband Jonathan Winfield.

The pair were in the midst of a messy separation and he would later be named as the main suspect in her disappearance.

Mr. Winfield didn't report her missing until 27th May, 11 days later.

An investigation led by Ballina Detective Sergeant Glenn Taylor in 1998 led to a 2002 coronial inquest that found Ms Winfield died at the time of her disappearance.

The findings also ruled that a “known person” should be charged with her death and that the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) should consider prosecuting her estranged husband.

Mr Winfield has always emphatically denied any wrongdoing and the DPP has declined to prosecute him, citing insufficient evidence.

In 2010, police offered a $100,000 reward for information that would help solve the mystery.

But now 31 years later, Ms Winfield’s daughters still have no idea what happened to their mum.

Bronwyn left behind a diary.

I looked at this l last night after I saw it here.
I’ve seen him around in the surf after looking at his photo but never south of Flat Rock, Ballina.

Then this morning I surfed the dawnie at a break in Ballina. I was the only one out and it was a lot bigger than I thought at first. Lots of unmakeable close outs, really sucky dredging barrels. Very much like Kirra on the Gold Coast.

Then a lone figure with a big board paddled south from way up the beach and when he got to me it was Jon Winfield. On the most inappropriate board for the conditions. I guess he was trying to lay low from his usual haunts further north. He couldn’t really get any waves as you had to be under them to takeoff and his board was too big. Then a bomb set came that I fully had to bail my board under. He was further out and I thought he got under it but then he got completely sucked over the falls and then copped the next two ok the head. Full and proper flogging 😂
I had a good chuckle.

He got back out, finally found a wave with an easier entry and surfed it in.

Anyway, none of this is really relevant but it’s a pretty suss case after reading.

I can’t believe he’s stayed in Lennox all these years with that cloud hanging over him.

Episodes 1 & 2 are up at omny

Only the trailer up so far on Apple Podcasts

Last edited:

Episodes 1 & 2 are up at omni

Only the trailer up so far on Apple Podcasts

Omny ones taken down now?

Omny ones taken down now?
The link doesn't work for me either now.
But here's Ep1 and 2 individual links at Omny that works for me.

The link doesn't work for me either now.
But here's Ep1 and 2 individual links at Omny that works for me.

Thanks for the links. I'm looking forward (IYKWIM) to listening to it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It has me wondering how many women this has happened to

Another similar case in Victoria - Lorrin Whitehead disappeared in 2013

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

Another similar case in Victoria - Lorrin Whitehead disappeared in 2013

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com
As part of a job I once had, I had to compile a list of phone numbers for community services - such as Lifeline, Blue Nurses, health and emergency services, etc - and one of them was Missing Persons. This led me to the central Missing Persons website. There are sad as well as mysterious and suspicious circumstances under which people go missing, both men and women.

Old John definitely laying low by surfing a lowly populated Ballina beach again this morning.
His favourite boulders would have been good too.
He came out caught one wave, went straight and surfed it in. Guess he just needs a daily saltwater therapy.

Personal opinion but I reckon this podcast investigation will drive him more nuts than if he was to be convicted and locked up straight away.

Remove this Banner Ad

Unsolved The Disappearance of Mum Bronwyn Winfield - NSW * Hedley Thomas podcast

Remove this Banner Ad

Back