Unsolved The Disappearance of Mum Bronwyn Winfield - NSW * Hedley Thomas podcast

Remove this Banner Ad

Just listened to episode 3. Pretty crazy that police didn’t take statements from people that talked to her the night before she disappeared. The statement was eventually given in 2009 😳
I just listened to episode 5 today on the drive to and from work.
Blood boils more and more each episode. Wilful ignorance and incompetence and you’d hope not worse than that.

Jon is now regularly surfing the quiet spot I surf instead of his beloved boulders.
Next time I will ask him if boulders doesn’t work anymore or what?
Might be a little while as Ballina will be out of control big for the next week or so.

Well it’s pretty clear that either the ex husband is involved or it’s death by suicide. What’s bleedingly obvious is that by todays standards the investigation was woefully inadequate but I imagine police resources and capabilities in regional NSW were vastly different in the 90s compared to today.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Ep7 podcast is out, and the new witness evidence in the accompanying article is hopefully going to see an arrest and charges laid very quickly.

The NSW Police Commissioner and Minister for the Police are probably going to have to come out publicly and address this one head on very shortly with a huge historical apology, based on what's reported in the below.

'...
A chilling account from a new witness of seeing what she fears was missing mother Bronwyn Winfield’s body wrapped in sheets in the back of a car could reignite investigations into the 31 year mystery.'
Ms Singh lived about 50m from the Winfields and says she tried to report what she saw from her upper level balcony to local police within weeks, and at Byron Bay station years later when she was accompanied by a doctor from New Zealand. The doctor has verified the account of going to the station.

The police she dealt with were “hardly interested” and never got back to her, Ms Singh said.'

...'

The Teacher's Pet and this case highlight procedural flaws in missing person cases. Throw in Bryon Bay police's mishandling of Marion Barter's disappearance. All in NSW but I am sure that this is more of conincidence as there were probably issues all over Australia.
As for this case, I just keep on shaking my head.

Things should move fast from here.
Police probably need to secure Jonathan Winfield ASAP.

If he self-harms before he can be arrested and kept safe from himself, that could cause some issues for Hedley and The Australia for yesterday making public what Ms Singh and her Doctor friend told Hedley and his team, before Police could have the opportunity to arrest Winfield to keep him safe from himself.

Makes you wonder how the 2022 Strike Force Chelmsbrook did not get the evidence we now have from Ms Singh.
Did they not go back and trace everyone living in that street and try to interview/re-interview them?
If not why not?
Surely that would be one of the first things you'd do in this case with a new strike force based investigation.

Police act on Bronwyn Winfield podcast’s ‘body in a sheet’ account

12:30PM JUNE 21, 2024
NSW Police are immediately moving to act on a chilling account from a new witness of seeing what she fears was Bronwyn Winfield’s body wrapped in sheets in the back of a car.
Just after 7pm, a NSW police media representative contacted The Australian seeking assistance in speaking to Ms Singh.

NSW Police assistant commissioner and commander of State Crime Command, Michael Fitzgerald, subsequently emailed Thomas at 7.20pm requesting Ms Singh’s contact details.

Ms Singh, a mother of three who still lives in northern NSW, had told the podcast she was ready and willing to speak to detectives.

Thomas passed on her contact details on Thursday night following the police request.

“The investigation into the 1993 disappearance and suspected murder of Bronwyn Winfield remains under the responsibility of the Homicide Squad’s Unsolved Homicide Team,” a NSW police spokeswoman said by email Friday.

“In 2022, Strike Force Chelmsbrook was established to re-investigate the circumstances surrounding her disappearance.
“Police are reminding the community that a $100,000 NSW Government reward remains on offer for information which leads to the arrest and conviction of the person/s responsible for her death.
...'

If he self-harms before he can be arrested and kept safe from himself, that could cause some issues for Hedley and The Australia for yesterday making public what Ms Singh and her Doctor friend told Hedley and his team, before Police could have the opportunity to arrest Winfield to keep him safe from himself.

Makes you wonder how the 2022 Strike Force Chelmsbrook did not get the evidence we now have from Ms Singh.
Did they not go back and trace everyone living in that street and try to interview/re-interview them?
If not why not?
Surely that would be one of the first things you'd do in this case with a new strike force based investigation.

NSW Police are immediately moving to act on a chilling account from a new witness of seeing what she fears was Bronwyn Winfield’s body wrapped in sheets in the back of a car.
Just after 7pm, a NSW police media representative contacted The Australian seeking assistance in speaking to Ms Singh.

NSW Police assistant commissioner and commander of State Crime Command, Michael Fitzgerald, subsequently emailed Thomas at 7.20pm requesting Ms Singh’s contact details.

Ms Singh, a mother of three who still lives in northern NSW, had told the podcast she was ready and willing to speak to detectives.

Thomas passed on her contact details on Thursday night following the police request.

“The investigation into the 1993 disappearance and suspected murder of Bronwyn Winfield remains under the responsibility of the Homicide Squad’s Unsolved Homicide Team,” a NSW police spokeswoman said by email Friday.

“In 2022, Strike Force Chelmsbrook was established to re-investigate the circumstances surrounding her disappearance.
“Police are reminding the community that a $100,000 NSW Government reward remains on offer for information which leads to the arrest and conviction of the person/s responsible for her death.
...'
I reckon he’s too arrogant to top himself.

Imagine being the police who’s job it is to listen to the 80min podcast that gets released at 5pm then contact the podcast at 7pm to ask for the details of the lady that presented to police stations twice to volunteer this information.

Not the most fulfilling job in the world.

If not why not?

...'
Prior to the podcast, I looked at this list of missing NSW women from the parliament in question time in 2023 for Bronwyn Winfield and noted that there was Strike Force Chelmsbrook that was active and I thought I hope Hedley isn't investigating another case that was "active".

I then did some research through my library on Bronwyn.

There is an article from the Northern Star on March 12, 2010 that has a timeline which says Strike Force Chemsbrook which I assume is a typo started in 2009 unless they added an L to the later task force.

May 2009: Police form Strike Force Chemsbrook to re-investigate the Bronwyn Winfield case which was reopened following new information and forensic teams ( pictured above and below) scour Mrs Winfield’s last home.

May 2009: Police form Strike Force Chemsbrook to re-investigate the Bronwyn Winfield case which was reopened following new information and forensic teams ( pictured above and below) scour Mrs Winfield’s last home.
I hope someone from Hedley Thomas's team or the Bronwyn podcast's FB group is reading this.

Bronwyn Podcast Official Discussion Group (A FB Private Group - 3.5k members. Set up by The Australian newspaper)

'June 21, 2024'

'Bronwyn sleuths: your questions answered'

'By CLAIRE HARVEY'

'Here, we answer some of the burning ones raised by our subscribers in the podcast’s Facebook group.'

'Hopes Winfield case will be solved

CHRYSTAL WINFIELD was just 10 years old when she saw her mother at their Lennox Head home for the last time 16 years ago.

By Dominic Feain And Aap
March 12, 2010 - 3:30AM
Northern Star'

CHRYSTAL WINFIELD was just 10 years old when she saw her mother at their Lennox Head home for the last time 16 years ago.

"I actually saw her on the night she went missing and that was the last time I saw her," she said.

"I went to bed and that was it."

Ms Winfield made a heartfelt plea yesterday for information about her mother from The Domain behind Parliament House in Sydney where NSW Police Minister Michael Daley had just announced a $100,000 reward for information leading to a conviction in the suspected murder case.

"Bronwyn Winfield was a lovely lady and a good mum," Mr Daley told reporters.

"She left behind two young children, aged five and 10 at the time, making the attack all the more heinous.

"Mrs Winfield's family, particularly her children, deserve to know what happened - and her murderer deserves to be behind bars.

"I hope that the lure of a cash reward may encourage those with information, who may have been reluctant to come forward at the time, to help police bring those responsible to justice.

Bronwyn's brother Andrew Read, uncle to Chrystal and her younger sister Lauren, also appealed for information.

"It has been a terrible thing to live with day-to-day," he told The Northern Star.

"She was a young mother in the prime of her life and she deserves to be laid to rest with dignity.

"This has been a long time coming and we can't speak highly enough of the Unsolved Homicide Squad and the Government for providing this reward.

"There's a couple of people that we think might know something, so if they can (find) it in their heart to come forward and speak to the police ... we hope that this could bring some closure to the matter finally."

In one of the most baffling unsolved cases on the North Coast, Mrs Winfield was reported missing by her estranged husband, who is believed to still live in the area, 11 days after her disappearance on May 16, 1993.

The case remained a missing persons investigation until 1998 when Ballina Police opened a new investigation which led to a Coronial Inquiry in 2002.

The Coroner concluded that that Mrs Winfield had died on or about the day she was last seen and recommended that a 'known person' be charged with her murder.

The Department of Public Prosecutions did not have enough evidence at the time to lay charges.

Following the formation of the Unsolved Homicide Squad in 2004, and it's activation in 2008, police formed Strike Force Chemsbrook in 2009 to re-investigate the case.

Detective Senior Sergeant George Radmore said at the time that unexpected new witnesses had come forward after the re-opened investigation was publicised in The Northern Star.

Strike Force detectives led by Snr Sgt Radmore scoured the Winfield's former home in Lennox Head for further forensic evidence and re-interviewed neighbours shortly after.

Unsolved Homicide Squad Detective Chief Inspector Dennis Bray confirmed that no one had been charged over the disappearance but said police were determined to pursue the matter.

"The investigation is ongoing but today's announcement by the Minister comes at a time when we believe people do have information they could pass on to police," he told The Northern Star.

"We are keen to obtain evidence to prosecute the person or persons responsible and bring closure for the family.

"Police urge anyone who may have information about the incident, no matter how small, to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000, or Ballina detectives on 6681 8699.

"In particular police are appealing to anyone with details about Bronwyn's movements on the 15th and 16th of May 1993, to come forward.

"Detectives are also keen to speak with anyone who was a close friend or associate of Bronwyn's."

All information given to Crime Stoppers is treated as strictly confidential and may be given at any time of the day or night.'

Related stories:

http://www.ballinaadvocate.com.au/story/2009/11/28/no-time-to-solve-murders/

http://www.northernstar.com.au/story/2009/05/28/new-evidence-in-old-murder-case-new-witnesses-step/

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Unsolved The Disappearance of Mum Bronwyn Winfield - NSW * Hedley Thomas podcast

Remove this Banner Ad

Back