Sport The Essendon Board’s Paris 2024 Olympics Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Glad to see Jakob Ingebrigtsen miss out on a medal after his arrogant attitude to other competitors in the 1500

I've got immense respect for how he ran that final; front-running at close to WR pace for about 1400 of the 1500m race is pretty brave. Never understood the hate he gets.

I thought his semi was hilarious

I've got immense respect for how he ran that final; front-running at close to WR pace for about 1400 of the 1500m race is pretty brave. Never understood the hate he gets.

Look I’m not completely across it but I do love an upset.

We didn’t really get that in the swimming. They seem so much fitter now and you don’t see people slowing up and getting overtaken in the last 10m because the “have the piano on their shoulders”.

Look I’m not completely across it but I do love an upset.

We didn’t really get that in the swimming. They seem so much fitter now and you don’t see people slowing up and getting overtaken in the last 10m because the “have the piano on their shoulders”.

Ingebrigtsen ran a 3:26 in July so I assume he thought he had the legs to get it done, Kerr had never run under 3:29 and Hocker never under 3:30 so they both needed monster PBs to beat him - both are now inside the Top-10 all-time after those runs.

Ingebrigtsen is pretty exceptional, at 23 he's (all-time):

4th fastest over 1500m
3rd fastest over the mile
Fastest over 2000m
3rd fastest over 3000m
Fastest over 2 miles
20th over the 5000m

He's not afraid of going out to run a WR even if it'll cost him a medal sometimes too, which plenty of elite athletes would never risk. I expect his 5000m time to improve still and given he's never really raced a 10,000 and his 10km road PB is listed as a 27:54 set way back in 2019 there's every chance he moves up and has the scope to do a lot better there too.

I think a lot of how good he is gets lost in amongst him running his mouth a bit.

Ingebrigtsen ran a 3:26 in July so I assume he thought he had the legs to get it done, Kerr had never run under 3:29 and Hocker never under 3:30 so they both needed monster PBs to beat him - both are now inside the Top-10 all-time after those runs.

Ingebrigtsen is pretty exceptional, at 23 he's (all-time):

4th fastest over 1500m
3rd fastest over the mile
Fastest over 2000m
3rd fastest over 3000m
Fastest over 2 miles
20th over the 5000m

He's not afraid of going out to run a WR even if it'll cost him a medal sometimes too, which plenty of elite athletes would never risk. I expect his 5000m time to improve still and given he's never really raced a 10,000 and his 10km road PB is listed as a 27:54 set way back in 2019 there's every chance he moves up and has the scope to do a lot better there too.

I think a lot of how good he is gets lost in amongst him running his mouth a bit.
That’s an amazing record for a 23yo.
Will have to suss out some of his races, where is the best place to watch his races? Diamond League, YouTube or SBS??

It used to frustrate me that nobody would try different tactics like this against Mo Farah. They would just go along at his pace then the would burn them off with 2 laps to go….EVERY time.

That’s an amazing record for a 23yo.
Will have to suss out some of his races, where is the best place to watch his races? Diamond League, YouTube or SBS??

It used to frustrate me that nobody would try different tactics like this against Mo Farah. They would just go along at his pace then the would burn them off with 2 laps to go….EVERY time.

100% with you on Farah, you know he's by far the fastest over the last 400m, why the hell would you just sit there and be like 'all the other sprint finishes didn't work, but this one is the one that will' 🤦‍♂️

Kerr has a much better kick than Ingegritsen, and Kerr has just worked out Hocker is even faster, so hopefully we see that WR really get pushed with some fast championship races in the future. I think Jakob had the right idea, just not the legs to get it done on the day.

YouTube is probably the best, athletics coverage is very all over the shop. Flotrack seems to have locked up all the marathon majors and is overly expensive.

Saw this article about Rob de Castella earlier in the week. Remember my dad getting me out of bed to watch him come back at the Brisbane Commonwealth games.
He had an amazing record (once had the WR in the Marathon).
Always looked so old to me as a kid but he was only 27😆
I remember been really disappointed when he was dropped by the leading pack at the Los Angeles Olympics

Yep - went to soccer the other night and was at the table tennis and volleyball yesterday.

A full day of hoops today - also seeing Spain v Greece and France v Japan.

Beach volleyball tomorrow.

Boomers game is the big one though.

Vander18 travel update??
Have you been to anything else??
Still hanging out in Paris??

Vander18 travel update??
Have you been to anything else??
Still hanging out in Paris??
Back home since last Sunday sadly mate.

Did also see some fantastic women volleyball - what a sport. Beach volleyball too - average sport but unbelievable location next to Eiffel Tower.

Basketball the clear highlight. Amazing trip.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Sport The Essendon Board’s Paris 2024 Olympics Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back