The Gap in the Collingwood Cheer Squad

Remove this Banner Ad

Normy132

Club Legend
Sep 23, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Every time the Pies play at the MCG I always see the this huge group of empty seats on the Southern Stand side of the Collingwood cheer squad. It happens every week, ANZAC Day included. What is going on down there? We've got 70,000 members and our active support looks like a club with a quarter of our support. Where do those ticket holders go?

Didn't Collingwood have a program where members could make donations so that underprivaledged kids could go to the games?

As a member, I don't remember being asked to donate to this cause anytime recently?

Maybe there's a link there?

I'll gladly swap my reserved seat up in row Q of the top tier for a reserved seat down the bottom near the cheersquad and help fill the gaps? I havent really noticed this gap before, but I wonder if its worthwhile me calling the Club to see if I can have my seat moved?

happened last year as well..i have a mate that works at the g said that collingwood saves those seats until finals and then sells them as finals packages which includes the grand final good way to make a doollar but if we dont make the granny it back fires a little..

Ever since we moved our home section to that area (03,04?), there has been a decent gap in that southern stand side pocket next to the cheer squad.

But it does seem to have gotten bigger this year, might have something to do with a lot of legends members moving to level 2 seats at different areas of the ground, unsure really.

But I do know a lot of legends members weren't willing to pay the amount they were paying for bottom level forward pocket seats, so the club moved a lot of them to the second level of the Southern Stand (N1-N16) and also a few in the Olympic Stand.

You would think the club would then offer the empty seats on the bottom deck to anyone who has a reserved seat on level Q of the Ponsford, no idea why they haven't done this?:confused:

I'm a legends member and one year we were given seats in the row immediately behind the cheersquad for our away games. Shocking part of the ground to view the game from especially as the cheersquad all stand up whenever the ball comes anywhere near that half of the ground. There was no way I was ever going to sit there again, and quite a few other legends members in nearby seats were expressing similar sentiments.

Has anyone ever sat near or in the cheer squad? I went to the 2008 final over here in Adelaide with my father in law( a dirty rotten crows supporter same as his daughter my wife). We sat behind the cheer squad and by the 10 min mark into the first quarter I told them we have to move. The langue that came from some of the members was appalling and I work as a garbage man in the western suburbs of Melbourne. I would sit there and I don't get to see many games live anymore.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has anyone ever sat near or in the cheer squad? I went to the 2008 final over here in Adelaide with my father in law( a dirty rotten crows supporter same as his daughter my wife). We sat behind the cheer squad and by the 10 min mark into the first quarter I told them we have to move. The langue that came from some of the members was appalling and I work as a garbage man in the western suburbs of Melbourne. I would sit there and I don't get to see many games live anymore.

Strange you mention that game, because it's the only game I've ever sat near the cheersquad also, and yes, they were deplorable as far as language goes.

I think it was straight after that when Eddie cleaned it out a lot, and it's apparently a little bit more "subdued" then what it was, but I'll probably never find out cause I won't be going near them again, even on interstate trips.

Remove this Banner Ad

The Gap in the Collingwood Cheer Squad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back