Boxing The General Boxing Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

2011, Aug. 13 - Joseph Agbeko vs. Abner Mares (1st meeting) for the WBC Silver and IBF Bantamweight Titles. Ross was the only judge not scoring Mares as the winner, instead seeing that bout as a draw. Scores: Adalaide Byrd 111-115, C.J. Ross 113-113, Oren Shellenberger 111-115.

The problem is the commissions select the judges and there doesn't appear to be any clear cut process by which judges are selected for the fights.

Adalaide Byrd has made some controversial decisions as well. Off the top of my head she gave Melvin Guillard the decision win against Jamie Varner in a UFC fight that was pretty one sided.

All I can say is if you don't finish the fight you're playing roulette.

How can you be that bad at your job and be able to continue to judge fights?

You'd think if the judge was corrupt they'd try to make it a bit less obvious though. :p

With all those weird scores I've got to think that Ross is just an inept judge. As always nothing will happen to them, they'll probably be judging another big fight in a couple of months. :thumbsdown:

I think Moretti scored the fight poorly as well but it's easy to see why people are focusing on the one who didn't score it for the clear winner. Moretti agreed with Ross in all but two rounds.

I could go through and score it but it was a pretty one sided contest. I thought it would be 118-110 with Alvarez winning the 2nd and 10th rounds. I could see how Metcalfe scored it 117-111 (he also had Alvarez winning the 12th round) but the other two judges scorecards were inconsistent with the Metcalfe's they gave Mayweather the 2nd and 10th rounds, which were the two round Alvarez I would say were close.

The Alvarez vs Trout fight was very one sided for what I thought was a much closer fight. The knockdown of Trout in the seventh may have swayed the judges in who was causing more damage with their punches.

Trout and Alvarez could have a rematch with a Trout win securing a fight with Mayweather. I heard that Mundine thinks he's a couple of fights away from fighting Mayweather o_O. I would still watch Pacquiao and Mayweather if they could pull it off because Pacquiao would be fully committed to the beating Mayweather whereas Roach has mentioned the last couple of fights he hasn't been running the show.

Timothy Bradley is another that could fight Mayweather. As long as it's not Amir Khan.

I think C.J. Ross would have to sacked to prevent her from making such bad calls again:

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/spo...-out-on-mayweather-result-20130916-2ttf2.html

Interesting how Alvarez mentions there's no power in Mayweather's punches, but he does have problems with his hands. In one of the All Access shows on Showtime Floyd mentions how he has to save his hands after sparring a newbie for 7 rounds straight.

Very sad to hear of the passing of Ken Norton. Former US Marine and one of what I call the 'Fab Four' (Ali, Frazier, Norton, Foreman), from a time when heavyweight champion of the world really meant something. Fought in some epic bouts, notably with Ali and Holmes. RIP Ken, semper fi.

Very sad to hear of the passing of Ken Norton. Former US Marine and one of what I call the 'Fab Four' (Ali, Frazier, Norton, Foreman), from a time when heavyweight champion of the world really meant something. Fought in some epic bouts, notably with Ali and Holmes. RIP Ken, semper fi.

I don't know if Norton was on the same level as the other three, I'd be more inclined to put Larry Holmes ahead of him. However the fact that he was able to achieve what he did given he started at such an old age is a tribute to his work ethic, dedication and discipline. He was always in great physical shape and obviously had a lot of athletic ability (which his son clearly inherited).

He had an unusual fighting style that seemed to be effective but it's sad to see him pass away so soon.

Heard estimates say the PPV did well over 2 million buys, unbelievable if true.

No doubt largely due to the Hispanic market, no wonder the UFC are trying to break into Mexico.

Amir Khan doesnt deserve it at all. he's been sucking it up for a long time now. and was actually never really that good. more hype than anything.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Daniel Ammann has scored himself a shot at the vacant cruiserweight commonwealth title against Nathan Cleverly on November 30.

yep I wonder if Danny would win this time

There's no question Green has the power to KO Mundine provided he doesn't lose it all in boiling down to make weight. Green just couldn't catch Mundine back in 2006, but they've both slowed down since then. Daniel Geale made Mundine look old and slow when they last met. Green can still wack though.

The biggest factor if the fight happens will be the weight limit. They are so far apart in weight at the present time it's hard to see them ever coming to agreement on a weight limit that would suit them both.

Overnight, Aussie Lucas "Big Daddy" Browne stopped undefeated Englishman Richard Towers in round 5 of a scheduled 12 rounder in Yorkshire, England.

The win should put Browne in line for a crack at David Price's commonwealth heavyweight title. Price has lost his past two fights by stoppage - both to American Tony Thompson - and may not be keen to fight the big punching, undefeated Browne.

Overnight, Aussie Lucas "Big Daddy" Browne stopped undefeated Englishman Richard Towers in round 5 of a scheduled 12 rounder in Yorkshire, England.

The win should put Browne in line for a crack at David Price's commonwealth heavyweight title. Price has lost his past two fights by stoppage - both to American Tony Thompson - and may not be keen to fight the big punching, undefeated Browne.

can you explain how the titles work in Boxing I get so confused

can you explain how the titles work in Boxing I get so confused

Not sure if you realise how difficult a question that is?

Years ago the progression in the pro boxing ranks was fairly simple:
State title > Australian title > Commonwealth title > World title.

More recently there are nearly as many title belts as there are fighters. State, Australian and Commonwealth titles still exist. But there are now a plethora of other belts for different regions of the world, and every boxing organisation - and there are many - has not only their own version of the "World" title. But it doesn't stop there. Most of the organisations have two or three different "World" title belts for each weight division.

So in effect, for ach weight division there are something like 15 different "World" title belts.

Confused yet? The more you find out, the more confusing it gets, believe me :rolleyes:

Green v Mundine II is about as likely as Mayweather v Pacquiao

You draw a reasonable comparison. I've felt for a couple of years Mayweather vs Pacquiao would never happen, and probably felt the same way about a potential Mundine vs Green rematch.

But the big difference with Mundine vs Green is, they now have virtually no other option left other than retirement.

IMO Green won't fight again unless it's against Mundine - because that's where the money is. He's already relinquished the 'world' title he held.

Mundine has shown he can't sell in the US (his fight there sold less than 300 tickets), and with the dismal failure of his proposed recent fight against Shane Mosely, it appears he doesn't sell here either. No other big name is likely to come after the Mosely shambles. So Mundine's outlook is no better than Green's.

Could Vic Darchinyan's stoppage loss to Donaire spell the end for Vic? He's been a great warrior and champion, but has now lost 3 of his last 5, and will turn 38 in January.

Great to hear Daniel MacKinnon is on the improve >

Boxer Daniel MacKinnon is now in a serious condition in hospital following his light heavyweight fight with Robert Berridgein Hamilton (NZ). MacKinnon was taken to hospital in critical condition shortly after the fight.

MacKinnon lost the 10-round fight and suffered a swollen right eye. Reinsfield said MacKinnon was rushed to hospital after he collapsed in his dressing room after his title fight with Robert Berridge in Hamilton last night.

"Brain surgery is brain surgery, you know? He may not have come out of that alive."

But less than 24 hours later, MacKinnon is awake and talking.

www.stuff.co.nz/waikato-times/sport/9409798/Otorohanga-boxer-Daniel-MacKinnon-serious

Remove this Banner Ad

Boxing The General Boxing Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back