news The General MMA & Combat Sports Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Bewildering stuff in here today
It's not just in here. So many fans lately - the McGregor era I'd say - are more about these sort of fights than best vs best. GSP faced whoever was next in line, it didn't matter the circumstances. Same for Anderson, BJ, etc. They all did pretty well financially from their time at the top as well.

I know this is brought up weekly, but we have to assume, from the fighters' perspective, it comes down to fighter pay. Woodley is going to get a career best payday boxing a walking meme, it's in Usman's best interest fiscally to fight a guy with the slimmest of puncher's chances; it's not a healthy environment to produce real champions.

I don't like Izzy but that man is fighting everyone who deserves it.

Usman has not earned the right to start chasing money fights.
They've both defended the belt 4 times (Izzy technically 3 cause one was the unification fight).

Its kind of a moot point cause the reality is theyve "earned" that right when they get that option. You and me dont get a say on when hes "earned" it.

It's not just in here. So many fans lately - the McGregor era I'd say - are more about these sort of fights than best vs best. GSP faced whoever was next in line, it didn't matter the circumstances. Same for Anderson, BJ, etc. They all did pretty well financially from their time at the top as well.

I know this is brought up weekly, but we have to assume, from the fighters' perspective, it comes down to fighter pay. Woodley is going to get a career best payday boxing a walking meme, it's in Usman's best interest fiscally to fight a guy with the slimmest of puncher's chances; it's not a healthy environment to produce real champions.

The idea that a guy maximising his earning potential in his profession is bewildering?

They've both defended the belt 4 times (Izzy technically 3 cause one was the unification fight).

Its kind of a moot point cause the reality is theyve "earned" that right when they get that option. You and me dont get a say on when hes "earned" it.
Whittaker, Costa, Vettori, Romero and organised to fight Rob again.

Woodley, Burns, Masvidal and chasing Diaz.

One isn't like the other.

Whittaker, Costa, Vettori, Romero and organised to fight Rob again.

Woodley, Burns, Masvidal and chasing Diaz.

One isn't like the other.

Not really the point though is it... If he gets offered Diaz for twice the money then hes "earned" it.

We might not like or watch it but hes gonna get his paycheck.

Again, im not supporting it but its not his fault this is the way the sport is going. For what its worth i hate it, the Paul brothers schtick is a disgrace, Lamar Odom fought Aaron Carter in a boxing "match" a few weeks back. I dont blame and cant complain when a guy works within the parameters of his sport to get a better pay day and honestly who wouldnt do the same.

I think fans greatly overvalue 'money' fights. Nate is not going to make Usman millions more than the #1 contender fight.

Jones is one of the highest earners and he fought #2 forever. This idea that fighting journeymen gets you paid is just so flawed it's not funny

If Usman for offered $5M to go fight Paul, fine, but that isn't what's happening here. He's a champion asking for easy fights. I think you can definitely make a case this isn't even 'maximizing' his earning potential when no one takes him seriously for it...

If he wants money, here's a good path to it. Colby > Leon > 185 > 185 title shot > defend 185 belt. That will make alot more than

Nate > Leon > Wonderboy > whatever and so on

Not really the point though is it... If he gets offered Diaz for twice the money then hes "earned" it.
This is where people need to be realistic. Nate isn't Connor and that fight is not making him double
Usman v Colby might do 500k buys (or whatever figure it gets), Nate isn't getting double. People how someone greatly overvalued some journeymen

Colby gonna be shooting early I reckon in the rematch, will be a different fight.

Usman is a heavy favourite
Yeah Usmans stand up improvement has been out of sight and now has made him scary good

Colby would hope that his ground game is better than Usman because there is no ay that he hangs around for 5 round standing up again.

I don't like Izzy but that man is fighting everyone who deserves it.

Usman has not earned the right to start chasing money fights.
Big difference is Izzy is the money fight so he doesn't need to chase these so called 'money fights' as he is a big enough draw

Usman doesn't have that star power. Although after the Masvidal ko it will be interesting to se how his PPV numbers go as I suspect he would have gained a lot of new fans

Not that it means much but that performance proved his doubters wrong and I was one of them. I'm still not a fan of his but I am more exciting by his fights now that I was and I suspect a lot of people will be the same

This is where people need to be realistic. Nate isn't Connor and that fight is not making him double
Usman v Colby might do 500k buys (or whatever figure it gets), Nate isn't getting double. People how someone greatly overvalued some journeymen
Ppv buys aren’t the only measure of the financial success though, that’s a massive simplification.

you’re right Nate isn’t Conor but for whatever reason (I think we agree it’s bewildering) he generates a shitload of buzz.

Big difference is Izzy is the money fight so he doesn't need to chase these so called 'money fights' as he is a big enough draw

Usman doesn't have that star power. Although after the Masvidal ko it will be interesting to se how his PPV numbers go as I suspect he would have gained a lot of new fans

Not that it means much but that performance proved his doubters wrong and I was one of them. I'm still not a fan of his but I am more exciting by his fights now that I was and I suspect a lot of people will be the same
Which is why I wanna see Usman fight Colby or Wonderboy next. I actually wanna his next fight now and it'll be shit seeing him smash Diaz.

Which is why I wanna see Usman fight Colby or Wonderboy next. I actually wanna his next fight now and it'll be sh*t seeing him smash Diaz.
Would love to see a stand up fight between Usman and Wonderboy but I reckon he will just wrestle him the whole time

@arielhelwani

·
8h

Luke Rockhold tells me he was offered a main event vs. Khamzat Chimaev on Aug. 28. He said he accepted but just got word Chimaev declined because he’s staying at 170. He also accepted a 3-rounder vs Chimaev on Aug. 7. “All respect but I thought he would fight anyone,” he said. Rockhold is hoping to fighting by the end of the summer, he said. Wants a top-ranked 185er.

I love me some Luke Rockhold but the guy hasnt won in 4 years and his last win was against David Branch. Granted his losses were to Jan, Romero but why on earth would he expect a "top ranked" guy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The idea that a guy maximising his earning potential in his profession is bewildering?
Well I didn't say that did I? The idea that a guy, in a sport where you are locked in a cage for 1 vs 1 combat, doesn't necessarily do better financially by fighting the next best guy, is my biggest problem. I also don't begrudge Usman going for the payday, because as Stinger mentioned, he alone is not a draw. The UFC should be making it worth his while to take whoever is next in line, making it worth it for the 3rd and 4th guy to fight each other and so on.

@arielhelwani
·
8h

Luke Rockhold tells me he was offered a main event vs. Khamzat Chimaev on Aug. 28. He said he accepted but just got word Chimaev declined because he’s staying at 170. He also accepted a 3-rounder vs Chimaev on Aug. 7. “All respect but I thought he would fight anyone,” he said. Rockhold is hoping to fighting by the end of the summer, he said. Wants a top-ranked 185er.

I love me some Luke Rockhold but the guy hasnt won in 4 years and his last win was against David Branch. Granted his losses were to Jan, Romero but why on earth would he expect a "top ranked" guy.
I like how he flipped it on Chimaev though. The fight doesn't make much sense for Chimaev but now he's been called out for ducking an irrelevant Rockhold.

I like how he flipped it on Chimaev though. The fight doesn't make much sense for Chimaev but now he's been called out for ducking an irrelevant Rockhold.
He seems like a pretty clever dude, savvy in his marketing (aside from sticking his chin up and out in big fights).

Honestly when he beat Weidman i thought the Rockhold era would reign for a looooooong time, his fall was staggering.

Sounds like Ngannou v Lewis in September too

I'm OK with that fight, Lewis is still deserving given his wins but it's disappointing the UFC didn't pay Jon to make the fight. It does 1m buys comfortably @ $70 a pop and they couldn't chuck him the 10 he wanted? So dumb

But the show rolls on & it's still a good fight (it couldnt be a repeat of the first one... could it?)

Probablt less.

canelo, fury, wilder, ggg, Joshua, Floyd...

manny still fighting?
Plus people gotta be careful what they wish for. Usman Izzy and Figgy all fighting 3 times a year.

Start making 50m per fight and you better believe it'll be one fight a year from now on.

Probablt less.

canelo, fury, wilder, ggg, Joshua, Floyd...

manny still fighting?
Devin Haney gets a mil per fight. Kambosos is about to make 2m for the Teo fight. The revenue split is way more in boxing than MMA

Christ, Huni just made 300k in his 5th fight. BJS got 8 for his Canelo fight

That said, who cares? UFC fighters must be happy or theyd surely have done something about it. All fans need to care about is the fights being good

Remove this Banner Ad

news The General MMA & Combat Sports Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back