THE HAMMER CONUNDRUM

Remove this Banner Ad

And just on that first shot at goal... Why didn't Jack demand Hammer handball it to him? Riewoldt would've been able to screw it around his body easily, and the Saints defenders weren't checking him at all.
Thought the same thing at the time and I think he would have had it been any other player but I reckon he was trying to show him a bit of faith and build his confidence up. From memory his kicking technique isn't bad , the nerves get to him.

Last edited:

I would like to see both Maric and hammer work over opposition ruckman.

It's a nice conundrum!!
NOECI0s.gif

I like what Hampson brings the past 2 weeks and if he backs it up against Fremantle this weekend, I'd be inclined to give Ivan a rest when Vickery comes back from suspension.

Image if I said that at the start of the year LMAOOOOO I'd have been tiger enemy number 1

Hampson still has a long way to go before he's going to win me over. You can fool me once. He's shown some promising signs the last 2 weeks no doubt.

That said, I'd be giving Maric a spell this week and if Griffiths doesn't come up, I'd be bringing in McBean to play or maybe even bring in both if available.

Interesting to note that Hampson just acknowledged on the RFC website that Vickery doe not really enjoy the ruck. He seemed full of confidence about the future today. Here's hoping he continues his progression.

We can't drop Maric, most players walk taller when he's out there.

Hampson has been the better tap ruckman though in the last 2 weeks in my opinion, so I'd be happy if they left him in as the number 1 ruck this week. Bring back Griff and play Maric in the Vickery role so we have the 3-pronged attacked with Jack like in previous week, with Maric giving Hammer a chop-out.

Then next week when Vickers is right to return, re-assess how the talls played against Freo and go from there. But surely we can't leave Maric out.

Maric is number 1, sure.

But it would be flattering to say he has looked cumbersome this year. In some instances he has literally looked stationary.

If he has any niggles, or just need a breather - now is the time to allow for that.

Based on Dimma's presser, I think it is quite likely he will sit this one out.

Hammer is playing better than maric, who has been poor this year, dropped so many marks last week maric that he got his hands too with stuff all pressure on him. Time for some vfl for him and griff in then vick in next week. (Probably keep maric in for one more week to help with sandilands then send him to vfl)

Last edited:
It'd take balls, but against Sandi, you could almost start Hampson as the sub. The team runs through the banner a foot taller, because they are with the Mullet. Maric spends two quarters running his guts out, then bring on Hampson to jump over Sandi.

(If we lost a mid through injury, it'd be the biggest **** up of the sub era...)

It'd take balls, but against Sandi, you could almost start Hampson as the sub. The team runs through the banner a foot taller, because they are with the Mullet. Maric spends two quarters running his guts out, then bring on Hampson to jump over Sandi.

(If we lost a mid through injury, it'd be the biggest **** up of the sub era...)

damage could already be done with the freo mids getting silver platter service again for 3 qtrs by the time hammer comes on.

good call if we were to lose a mid through injury that would really screw us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hampson continues to play in my opinion, I feel he is well aware that one bad game would see him back in the VFL.
Calling for Maric to be dropped is rough, but I can see where people are coming from. Especially with his dropped marks. However his leadership on the field is important so he stays in for me.
Vickery has been great lately, but has he done enough to make him a walk up start?
If Griff has a bad game on the weekend it wouldn't hurt to put him in the VFL. Its undoubtedly a tough situation.
Good problem to have.

Maric is number 1, sure.

But it would be flattering to say he has looked cumbersome this year. In some instances he has literally looked stationary.

If he has any niggles, or just need a breather - now is the time to allow for that.

Based on Dimma's presser, I think it is quite likely he will sit this one out.
If it's wet and slippery , Maric will sit out I reckon , Dea will come in

Ivan is a warrior and we all love him, but he cant match it with the massive ruckman. Freo, West Coast and North all have Ruckmen that would thrash him. Add GWS to the mix if Mumford was fit and youd have half the top 8. As it stands likely 3 of our 7 opponents we can't viably play Maric against. What are we gonna do, play Maric in a final against Hawthorn, drop him for North, play him vs Sydney and then Drop him for a GF against WCE?

Im not contending we will make the gf but rather highlighting the problem if we do.

I think Hampson needs to be our #1 ruck and Maric needs to be able to get a game as backup ruck/forward or not play.

I'm still taking Maric. Runs on the board and Hammer hasn't done enough to convince me otherwise YET.

If we were playing a final tomorrow I'd trust Ivy over Hammer

Interesting views on Maric. I would play Maric at every opportunity if his body is right. What he brings to the side goes beyond stats.

He will definitely benefit with the sub being scratched next year.
You do have a point, I agree the mids seem to walk taller with him in the side, he was t grt last week though, apart from handy goal snapped , perhaps he was rusty

Ivan is a warrior and we all love him, but he cant match it with the massive ruckman. Freo, West Coast and North all have Ruckmen that would thrash him. Add GWS to the mix if Mumford was fit and youd have half the top 8. As it stands likely 3 of our 7 opponents we can't viably play Maric against. What are we gonna do, play Maric in a final against Hawthorn, drop him for North, play him vs Sydney and then Drop him for a GF against WCE?

Im not contending we will make the gf but rather highlighting the problem if we do.

I think Hampson needs to be our #1 ruck and Maric needs to be able to get a game as backup ruck/forward or not play.
Nailed it. And he can't play as a forward.

Interesting views on Maric. I would play Maric at every opportunity if his body is right. What he brings to the side goes beyond stats.

He will definitely benefit with the sub being scratched next year.
I love him but Ivan is currently a liability in all but intangibles.

Remove this Banner Ad

THE HAMMER CONUNDRUM

Remove this Banner Ad

Back