Food & Drink The Hangar Beer Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Of the international beers, what are people's favourites? I'm always up for Heinekan (sp?) or Becks. Asahi and Kirin are decent as well.
If you're going for an inoffensive lager I don't see the point in paying the premium import premium, particularly when they're brewed locally under licence anyway.

Last edited:
That's it. Heineken, Stella, Carlsberg, Becks- those sort of beers consumed here are invariably brewed under licence here and are international in name only.

May as well have a legit local like Boags Premium in those situations.

Eh, each to their own.

Of the international beers, what are people's favourites? I'm always up for Heinekan (sp?) or Becks. Asahi and Kirin are decent as well.

Imported Peroni and imported Stella would be my favorites to drink.

Those Weihenstephaner beers are great but on the expensive side.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's it. Heineken, Stella, Carlsberg, Becks- those sort of beers consumed here are invariably brewed under licence here and are international in name only.

May as well have a legit local like Boags Premium in those situations.

The good thing is the are a step up on the VB, Carlton Draught brews and you can generally find one of the "local imported" beers cheaper than VB etc.

Not those.

Belgian abbey and Trappist ales.

Some of the better American IPAs.

Stouts and porters all over.

Nothing like drinking 3 or 4 beers then being amazed at how pissed they've made you. Them monks must have some wild parties on the back of those beers.

I'm also big on stouts and porters, moreso stouts though. It's a shame the season for stouts is over with the weather warming considerably in the past few weeks.

Summer doesn't stop me.

I still love me a good Coopers Stout in summer. Only problem is you can't have as many.

Chimay is sensational. They've started exporting the 'monk's brew'- the one they apparently drink in the monasteries themselves. It's 'normal' strength- about 5.5%.

The stronger stuff is strictly for export as I understand it. At least that's what they tell everyone anyway. :D

I'm a fan of Southwark Stout. I'm not sure how far and wide you can get it, but it's a good beer. It used to be my beer of choice at Football Park on those cold winter days/nights. Coopers Stout is up there too, I'll agree with you there.

I think Southwark and Coopers have killed a lot of other stouts for me though. I love the burnt chocolate taste they give, something that's lacking in many other stouts, at least to the same degree as those 2.

I'm a fan of Southwark Stout. I'm not sure how far and wide you can get it, but it's a good beer. It used to be my beer of choice at Football Park on those cold winter days/nights. Coopers Stout is up there too, I'll agree with you there.

I think Southwark and Coopers have killed a lot of other stouts for me though. I love the burnt chocolate taste they give, something that's lacking in many other stouts, at least to the same degree as those 2.
I managed to acquire Southwark Stout at Dan Murphy's here once. Agreed, it's very nice.

What do you think of Cascade Stout?

I managed to acquire Southwark Stout at Dan Murphy's here once. Agreed, it's very nice.

What do you think of Cascade Stout?

To be 100% honest with you, I know I've had Cascade Stout but it has been so long ago that I can't comment. By default I walk up to the beer fridge at the boozer, pretend to look for other stouts, then grab Coopers. This thread has made me think I need to get a bottle of some other stout each time I buy a slab so I can broaden my experience. When it comes to stout I am starting to become one of those people that has their beer and the rest can gtfo.

The last different stout I had was a Monteith's stout. Whilst it had a nice flavour, it lacked that sweet lactosey taste that gets overtaken by the burnt chocolate overtones that you get from a Coopers. For me, that's like a drug when it comes to stout. The Monteith's was closer to a Porter for my tastes.

At Adelaide Oval I was pleasantly surprised to see Squire Porter served by the bottle at the Terrace bar in the Western stand. I like that beer and for me one of the things that separates a stout from a porter is a stout having that taste I describe above whereas a Porter tends to be a somewhat sweeter beer without the heavy finish.

Back when I used to do homebrew (which I fully intend returning to when the kids are older and I have time on my hands once again), one of the best beers I ever made turned out to be a porter of sorts. It sadly is the only brew I made where I didn't write down what went into it as it was using up leftover dribs and drabs of a multitude of ingredients and I fully expected it to be shit. Think dextrose, lactose, light malt, dark malt, amber grain, chocolate grain, fuggles hops, pride of ringwood hops, some other hops I can't recall, pretty sure there was corn syrup in there, I just have no idea of the quantities nor the tin of homebrew concentrate I used. One of my great homebrew regrets not knowing how I made that brew and a lesson for any homebrew new comers - always write down the recipes!!!!!

Talking of stouts- I got my hands on a Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout the other night. I'd had it when I was in the US last year but had given up hope of seeing it here. Until I was at Howler in Brunswick, that is...

Weighs in at a massive 10.0% alcohol too.

I highly recommend it to any stout lover. Even if it does break the bank a little.

It's a bit of an odd one, but for stouts in Melbourne I always find myself going back to Abbotsford Invalid. Cheap, cheerful and crisp in a way stouts rarely are. Never really got into the Coopers and Cascade offerings. Also, not quite a stout, but nudging that way and a very good beer is 2 Brothers Growler. A very dark American brown ale. I'd also keep an eye on Thunder Road, they had a fantastic seasonal American dark last winter.

Last edited:

Haven't been out looking for this yet, but if anyone finds stockists can you let me know.

Speaking of Abbotsford Stout, had a work christmas party at a bowls club once and I spotted it in the fridge. I knew it was sitting there for that one guy who insists they order it in. Then I drank them out of it which was a bit low.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back