The Hangar Motoring Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Soooo Howard Moon, no problems presumably?

Unsure!

Life got in the way...

Little girl woke up sick last night vomiting and all that. She stayed home from school so lady didht use the car.

It's been asleep all day.

Soon as I get home I'll have a go which is kinda good because it will be cold.

Work mechanic said the story is legit, after vacuum change he suggested filling it with high octane and just giving it a real hard time for a few days to clear everything out and right all the setting. ..Or whatever the non layman terms are.

Tbc

Work mechanic said the story is legit, after vacuum change he suggested filling it with high octane and just giving it a real hard time for a few days to clear everything out and right all the setting. ..Or whatever the non layman terms are.

Tbc

Howard moon tonight

upload_2017-3-9_15-5-56.png

It's been asleep all day.
Waiting....

he suggested filling it with high octane and just giving it a real hard time
Speaking of such things, I'm driving to Port Fairy tomorrow and still need to decide, do I take the freeway straight there or try and see if I can get a decent run on the Great Ocean Road. On one hand it's a weekday, on the other hand I'm sure I wont be the only person going to the sold out festival with that idea

Speaking of such things, I'm driving to Port Fairy tomorrow and still need to decide, do I take the freeway straight there or try and see if I can get a decent run on the Great Ocean Road. On one hand it's a weekday, on the other hand I'm sure I wont be the only person going to the sold out festival with that idea

1. Get there as quick as possible
  2. Set up shop as quick as possible
  3. Beer
You may wish to combine steps 2 and 3.

40km/h vs 47km/h isn't going to make that much difference when a 1200kg+ vehicle hits a child.
It will however make a difference as to whether said vehicle hits said child - that's the whole point of the TAC Wipe Off 5 campaign, and the lower speed limit around schools.

If a driver can't stay under the speed limit without constantly keeping their eyes on the speedo they probably need more practice too.

It will however make a difference as to whether said vehicle hits said child - that's the whole point of the TAC Wipe Off 5 campaign, and the lower speed limit around schools.

If a driver can't stay under the speed limit without constantly keeping their eyes on the speedo they probably need more practice too.
40 is not easy to keep your car at.
I have a newish Golf and to do 40 downhill i need to be on the brakes.
Uphill, given the turbo diesel wants to eat up the incline is even more of a pain.

I agree with your assessment, but 40km/h hitting a person is not better than 47km/h not hitting them because my undivided attention is on the road and not the speedo.
Unfortunately we can't be pragmatic with these laws. In an ideal world, drivers keep their cars within their control within a reasonable range of the speed limit (10% doesnt work) . But we can't trust that. So we dont and the laws end up taking money off people who are otherwise safer drivers than some of the puzzling cases ive seen handed a licence by VicRoads.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What's not?
going 10 under.
though, in a 40 zone its likely to be a single lane road.
But purposely going 10 under the limit in multi-lane roads creates a hazard when people try to move out from behind you into a lane travelling 10km or more faster.
Mainly, drivers tend to be s*** in this state. Speed laws are one thing, but i can't fathom why we aren't tested every 5 years to keep our licences.

If you get pinged doing 44 in a 40 zone you weren't doing 44. You were over by more than 5-6kms, as its rounded down, and you were doing that in a school zone. You know with kids that can run out without looking.

The speed limit is 40. Go 40. If you get caught, pay the fine and don't do it again. If you continue to rack up fines then maybe you shouldn't be on the road if you cant follow a simple instruction.

The cameras which rack up the most $$ for the Vic Govt are 40 km/h zones on Warrigal Road and Fitzroy Street in St Kilda. Both were put there not for schools but because of drunken pedestrian crashes (almost certainly not caused by speeding). Warrigal Road has seen an increase in crashes since the cameras were installed, possibly because of speedo watching.

The drunk ped crashes used to justify putting the cameras on Warrigal Road in were after 1am, sure enough the speed restrictions were from 8am-midnight and now 8am-8pm. They're counter-productive yet produce $4 million income per year and nobody ever looks at them, they just stick in the cameras and reap the revenue.

going 10 under.
But purposely going 10 under the limit in multi-lane roads creates a hazard when people try to move out from behind you into a lane travelling 10km or more faster.
Mainly, drivers tend to be s*** in this state. Speed laws are one thing, but i can't fathom why we aren't tested every 5 years to keep our licences.
Going 10 under in a school zone is just being extra safe because I believe the children are our future mete. I would never do 10 under anywhere else unless someone was tailgating me.

going 10 under.
Serious crashes in over 40's have gone up 40% in the last 10 years, while under 25's crashes have gone down 12% in the same period. But there's no votes in re-testing older drivers who swear black and blue that they're good drivers despite receiving their licence when training was an afterthought and statistics and health professionals stating otherwise.

The same cohort of drivers are the ones who started the under 25 driver crash statistics, they're just 20+ years older now.

When they talk about drug affected drivers, make sure to check if they're referring to recreational drugs (which people assume and shake their fists at the TV about) or prescription drugs (which are becoming an increasing problem).

Going 10 under in a school zone is just being extra safe because I believe the children are our future mete. I would never do 10 under anywhere else unless someone was tailgating me.
Endless studies show that differentials in speed (i.e. one person doing 70 while others do 80 is less safe than everyone doing 80). Encouraging people to wipe off 5 if their speedo is already conservative is less safe in many circumstances than just letting people do the speed limit +/- 5.

Endless studies show that differentials in speed (i.e. one person doing 70 while others do 80 is less safe than everyone doing 80). Encouraging people to wipe off 5 if their speedo is already conservative is less safe in many circumstances than just letting people do the speed limit +/- 5.
That's nice to know but I'm still going to do 30-35 in school zones and 5 to 10 over everywhere else. Having said that, I've found myself just sitting on the speed limit more often than not since I ****ed off the V8.

Serious crashes in over 40's have gone up 40% in the last 10 years, while under 25's crashes have gone down 12% in the same period. But there's no votes in re-testing older drivers who swear black and blue that they're good drivers despite receiving their licence when training was an afterthought and statistics and health professionals stating otherwise.

The same cohort of drivers are the ones who started the under 25 driver crash statistics, they're just 20+ years older now.

When they talk about drug affected drivers, make sure to check if they're referring to recreational drugs (which people assume and shake their fists at the TV about) or prescription drugs (which are becoming an increasing problem).
the funny thing is - for those who think they are awesome drivers, why the worry?
if you're fine, you'll pass.
It really needs to be a test to see if you pose a danger on the road or not. I don't think we need everyone to be 100% model drivers. I doubt many are.
But when i see some of the really stupid things people do because they try to undo a mistake (like stop on Hoddle and try cut across 3 lanes to make their turn), i scratch my head.
Keep driving, gradually move over, double back to where you need to be. baffles me the decision making i see out there. And i barely clock up an hour a week on the road these days

the funny thing is - for those who think they are awesome drivers, why the worry?
if you're fine, you'll pass.
It really needs to be a test to see if you pose a danger on the road or not. I don't think we need everyone to be 100% model drivers. I doubt many are.
But when i see some of the really stupid things people do because they try to undo a mistake (like stop on Hoddle and try cut across 3 lanes to make their turn), i scratch my head.
Keep driving, gradually move over, double back to where you need to be. baffles me the decision making i see out there. And i barely clock up an hour a week on the road these days
The main worry is amongst the people who will not only almost certainly lose their licence, but who will then become socially isolated. Give an 18 yr old a 6 month driving ban and he'll hit the playstation and the bicycle. Take an 80 yr old's licence off them when they've had one for 60 years without a crash and they become socially isolated an unable to travel around because of how bad the PT system is. There's an old guy in my street who catches the courtesy bus every second day to the local and I reckon he's living the retired dream, not many others are as chilled as my neighbour and want to drive everywhere at any time. It's particularly bad in the bush with an ageing population and even less PT.

Re-testing is an absolute must, every safety body has recommended it, it's pure common sense.

The main worry is amongst the people who will not only almost certainly lose their licence, but who will then become socially isolated. Give an 18 yr old a 6 month driving ban and he'll hit the playstation and the bicycle. Take an 80 yr old's licence off them when they've had one for 60 years without a crash and they become socially isolated an unable to travel around because of how bad the PT system is. There's an old guy in my street who catches the courtesy bus every second day to the local and I reckon he's living the retired dream, not many others are as chilled as my neighbour and want to drive everywhere at any time. It's particularly bad in the bush with an ageing population and even less PT.

Re-testing is an absolute must, every safety body has recommended it, it's pure common sense.
You seem to have more than a passing interest in this topic. Is this something you've studied or just passionate about?

I would support (and happily fund via tax) a system where any driver who loses their licence is given a taxi card and 5 free trips a week.

i go at least 60 through school zones, faster if possible. I like to spend the least amount of time possible in the danger zone where kids can run out in front of my car.

i figure the faster i go, the less time i am actually in the school zone which reduces the chances of hitting a kid.

i go at least 60 through school zones, faster if possible. I like to spend the least amount of time possible in the danger zone where kids can run out in front of my car.

i figure the faster i go, the less time i am actually in the school zone which reduces the chances of hitting a kid.

if you go fast enough you will be less likey to hit a child because you will be in the zone for less time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back