The Hangar Motoring Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

we live near a train station, so we get alot of parked traffic on the road sides. it means alot of the time only a single lane can get through, meaning you have to do the wait and wave before you get past.

On the weekend it was particulary busy, i had waitied for maybe 6 cars to go by, there was a small gap approaching, a 4 wheel drive was coming, he had about 6 cars behind him, he flicked his headlights to get me through, he saw i had let my fair share past so returned the favour - good etiquitte!

So i start going thru the single gap, at which point a car flys out from behind him - (obv they cant see him flashing me, they just think hes going slowly)

So she barrels out infront of me til we are nose to nose, at which point she realises her error, goes into reverse and retakes her spot in the line, then as i rolled by and waved at the bloke we shared that look, you know, the 'some people shouldnt be allowed on the roads hey, they arent all like us'.. look.

I recently got myself a Renault Megane RS265, it was a year old (from first sale) with only 3700 km. While I got a great price it did have some issues, a week before I went on a driving trip the steering arm detached when I was driving home (looks like someone had screwed up a wheel alignment).
A couple of weeks ago I went down to Tassie and used it as an excuse to put the car through it's paces, turning the drive to and from hobart from a 3hr drive into 6.5 hr one. The roads were great fun as well great scenery.

I recently got myself a Renault Megane RS265, it was a year old (from first sale) with only 3700 km. While I got a great price it did have some issues, a week before I went on a driving trip the steering arm detached when I was driving home (looks like someone had screwed up a wheel alignment).
A couple of weeks ago I went down to Tassie and used it as an excuse to put the car through it's paces, turning the drive to and from hobart from a 3hr drive into 6.5 hr one. The roads were great fun as well great scenery.
Did you go on the Lake Road past the Great Lake? Great drive.

Did you go on the Lake Road past the Great Lake? Great drive.
Not quite, from Devonport to Hobart I went through Targa and down the coast road (Tasman highway). On the way back I went the westerly route, over to Queenstown, then up to Burnie along some of the mountain roads.

im not really a hire car person when i travel, prefer to catch transport and meet people.

But some places lend themselves to driving. We hired a car in Ireland - Started in Cork, got to the hire place, did all the business and got the keys. It was only a little airport and place so the cars were pretty much parked smack out fromt of the office window. I cant exactly recall the car, maybe it was a volkswagon hatch thing.

Anyway, do you think i could find reverse? i sat there for about ten minutes trying every possible combination - keep hitting 4th, or 5th or who knows what.. id throw it in gear, close my eyes and hope, release the clutch to hear that low low gear sound engaging.. then catch it before it stalled.. nope, not that one... nothing happening - in the end i lost it, just revved up and went straight over the gutter infront of me and out - they must have looked thru the window at me thinking, what have we done?? we wont see that car again...

So for the first day i was restricted to where we could park, it had to be in a spot i could drive out of... what a rank amatuer!

Then i figured it out, by mistake, i was nervously fidding with the gear stick while i looked for a duplo parking spot when i found this flappy thing it had some kind of thing that you lift up ,wait, whats this?? You pull up, then you throw it up to the right, i think 4th became reverse... i dont know.. whatever it was, was a revelation! i had rear moving momentum.

it did take many months to live such a moment down however.

In all seriousness it's partly that, but I think inherently I like having a bit more control over my own destination, timeline and activities in-between than hitchhiking allows.

When we were in New Zealand we had a Peugeot 3008. Pretty sweet really, because we nominated a Corolla but when we went to collect our car at Christchurch Airport, there was a Peugeot waiting for us. Lovely to drive.

You certainly do a bit of a double take once you start driving and you think to yourself "holy shit, I'm actually driving in another country". Although of course, if there's any country in the world where driving feels closest to what driving here is like, it's New Zealand.

One of the musicians I ended up hanging out with in tassie hitchhiked from brisbane to melbourne to get there. He first met the band who was organising it (The Dead Maggies) when he was hitchhiking to one of their gigs and got picked up by the band.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My new car has the auto parallel park feature. I imagine that will be a bit stressful the first time I try it. Something about not having your hands on the steering wheel whilst the car attempts one of the most challenging parking manoeuvres in the book.
It's actually pretty nifty - I had one in a Golf I owned a couple of years ago. Unfortunately in Perth you don't have many parallel parking options except a few in the city so I didn't get a huge amount of use out of it. I'd use it all the time here in Melbourne.

My new car has the auto parallel park feature. I imagine that will be a bit stressful the first time I try it. Something about not having your hands on the steering wheel whilst the car attempts one of the most challenging parking manoeuvres in the book.

At the same time it should make manual reverse parking easier for us, if the computer can whittle down the difficult task into two basic turns via math, then we humans can!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back