The Herald Sun now calls soccer football

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Soccer" does not come from American English.
Yes I am aware of that, but there's only one country in the world that officially calls it "soccer" and it's not Australia or England.

Yes I am aware of that, but there's only one country in the world that officially calls it "soccer" and it's not Australia or England.
The day its governing body refers to the code as "Football" is the day I might give the sport exclusive rights to do the same.

The day its governing body refers to the code as "Football" is the day I might give the sport exclusive rights to do the same.
The governing body however has the word "football" but doesn't have the word "soccer", plus the governing body here and in most countries call it "football", therefore so will I.

I couldn't care less about what some insular Yanks do or what some narrow minded bogans think about this issue.

I don't want to get into the whole football or soccer argument again, but there's a fair argument that calling football "soccer" makes us look like American wannabes. Speaking the English language makes us look more like "English wannabes" than calling football "football".

Anyway I much rather be accused of being an English wannabe than an American wannabe any day of the week. Also there are much more important things to worry about, such as winning back the Ashes. It's been more than three long years since I was last able to make jokes about the English Cricket Team.
The term "soccer" actually originates from England for the record and is used in all countries that have another code of football that is bigger than soccer. Countries like the USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand and Ireland all use the term and have for decades to avoid confusion.

Who really cares they can call their pathetic game whatever they like.Hope they kill the "SOCCEROOS" name as well.

They even have to play in the summer months because they cant hack the pace in winter against the big boys.No FTA TV and even if a channel like Ten took it on it still wont rate!
Are you saying that A-League only operates during summer because they can't compete with Aussie Rules? I think you'll find most (if not all) southern hemisphere leagues operate at the same time as the northern hemisphere leagues.

The term "soccer" actually originates from England for the record and is used in all countries that have another code of football that is bigger than soccer. Countries like the USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand and Ireland all use the term and have for decades to avoid confusion.
Ireland, New Zealand and Canada have used both terms for ages and now does Australia. I'll call if football, you'll call it soccer. Those countries officially call it football. (FA Ireland, New Zealand Football, Football Federation Australia etc.). I know most Kiwis call the main sport over there as just "rugby".

It's about 50/50 where I live and just as long as the people who call it soccer;
1) don't insist that I have to call it soccer
2) don't insist that it is the actual name of the sport is soccer
3) don't insist that what it should be called soccer because "it's Australia"
4) don't use the term "football" for another sport when comparing sports

Then I really couldn't care less what they call it.

Anyway there really is no point continuing this argument so I'll just leave it here.

Are you saying that A-League only operates during summer because they can't compete with Aussie Rules? I think you'll find most (if not all) southern hemisphere leagues operate at the same time as the northern hemisphere leagues.
btw - I like it how A-League and AFL are on at different times on the year, gives me an all year round sports fix :D

Ireland, New Zealand and Canada have used both terms for ages and now does Australia. I'll call if football, you'll call it soccer. Those countries officially call it football. (FA Ireland, New Zealand Football, Football Federation Australia etc.). I know most Kiwis call the main sport over there as just "rugby".

It's about 50/50 where I live and just as long as the people who call it soccer;

Anyway there really is no point continuing this argument so I'll just leave it here.
Funny I've been called 'un-Australian' for calling the sport football. :rolleyes:

Sometimes I'll label it futbal just so some people get the difference.

Funny I've been called 'un-Australian' for calling the sport football. :rolleyes:
I normally show them the FFA logo or an Aussie sports magazine/newspaper and that does the trick for them to shut up (well in real life it does, not so much on BigFooty).

Sometimes I'll label it futbal just so some people get the difference.
Sometimes I'll call it "the round ball game" for that reason. Although most of the RL fans (main sport here) up here know their sport is called "rugby league".

The actual name of the sport is Association Football and no sport officially is just known as "football". In QLD and NSW Australian Football isn't as strong as it is down south, so obviously there won't be as many people calling it "football", but come to SA, Vic or WA and it's a different story - hence changing the name causes an unnecessary confusion. I'm not really sure why the HS, AdelaideNow and PerthNow sites would "agree" to the name change, that's why I think it's a decision that was made in the Sydney headquarters of News Limited and not each individual city based outlet.

Why not?

The actual name of the sport is Association Football and no sport officially is just known as "football".
Exactly, the actual name isn't "soccer".

In QLD and NSW Australian Football isn't as strong as it is down south, so obviously there won't be as many people calling it "football", but come to SA, Vic or WA and it's a different story - hence changing the name causes an unnecessary confusion. I'm not really sure why the HS, AdelaideNow and PerthNow sites would "agree" to the name change, that's why I think it's a decision that was made in the Sydney headquarters of News Limited and not each individual city based outlet.
Listing the two different sports as "Australian Football" and "Football/Soccer" or "Football (Soccer)" would be a good compromise if that was the case. Surely that won't confuse anyone.

Having said that everyone will get used to it eventually and Australia can finally align with the rest of the world, which is a much better look on our country.

Strangely enough The Courier Mail online has it listed as "AFL" and "Soccer" yet the print version has it listed as "Australian Football" and "Football".

Read the last three words bit you didn't bold. I don't mind it in any other context.

If I'm on Bay 13 for example I often use the term "footy" to describe Aussie Rules as I'm taking potshots at other teams and not comparing sports.

Exactly, the actual name isn't "soccer".

Listing the two different sports as "Australian Football" and "Football/Soccer" or "Football (Soccer)" would be a good compromise if that was the case. Surely that won't confuse anyone.

Having said that everyone will get used to it eventually and Australia can finally align with the rest of the world, which is a much better look on our country.

Strangely enough The Courier Mail online has it listed as "AFL" and "Soccer" yet the print version has it listed as "Australian Football" and "Football".
Yeah the sport isn't called soccer or football, it's association football. Everyone will get used to it eventually? LOL! You need to visit the southern states mate. All the football leagues here are known as that, football leagues. And soccer leagues are called soccer leagues, like the South Australian Amateur Soccer League (SAASL) and the football equivalent being SAAFL. These leagues won't change their names over some silly News Limited name change.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah the sport isn't called soccer or football, it's association football. Everyone will get used to it eventually? LOL! You need to visit the southern states mate. All the football leagues here are known as that, football leagues. And soccer leagues are called soccer leagues, like the South Australian Amateur Soccer League (SAASL) and the football equivalent being SAAFL. These leagues won't change their names over some silly News Limited name change.
I think Football Federation South Australia and Football Federation Victoria will disagree with you, but this argument isn't worth having so I'll just leave it there.

I think Football Federation South Australia and Football Federation Victoria will disagree with you, but this argument isn't worth having so I'll just leave it there.
And the South Australian National Football League along with the SA Football Commission will disagree with you.

And the South Australian National Football League along with the SA Football Commission will disagree with you.

It's called football most of the time in SA and is occasionally called soccer. I don't think it's a big deal, football is what the game is called historically called. That amateur league you mentioned comes from a time in SA when the sport was more widely referred to as soccer. Since the 90's when SKY established the Premier League which became became popular in Aus was probably the beginning of the sport being recognised as football in Aus.

That's just the A-League, who operates during the summer for money and interest. However, all other soccer is played during the winter. Not sure about other states, but Victoria's state league, when I was playing as a junior, all during Winter. It is merely just the A-League that plays in summer.

Also, I am certain that Argentina and Brazil play in Winter. Not sure about other South American countries, but I assume that that's similar too.

It's called football most of the time in SA and is occasionally called soccer.
Not sure if serious? All of our local commercial television stations say soccer, the print edition of The Advertiser says soccer, the local radio stations say soccer etc. The only services that say "football" instead of soccer are the national media outlets that are based in Sydney.

That's just the A-League, who operates during the summer for money and interest. However, all other soccer is played during the winter. Not sure about other states, but Victoria's state league, when I was playing as a junior, all during Winter. It is merely just the A-League that plays in summer.

Also, I am certain that Argentina and Brazil play in Winter. Not sure about other South American countries, but I assume that that's similar too.
No those two countries do not play in winter, they play in summer as does the national league in South Africa. Reason being is that it makes it easier for FIFA to regulate when international games are played, such as The World Cup and Euro competitions, those competitions are played in our winter so as not to interfere with the club competitions and even if the A-League was played during our winter, then they would have to halt operations because no other league is allowed to operate when The World Cup is on. That said I'm sure it does not affect those local leagues you mentioned above, so they can operate whenever they want as they most likely respond to the FFA and not FIFA itself.

Also having all leagues operate within the same season means that transfer periods are easier to handle such that transfer periods tend to happen at the same times across all leagues making it easier for players to move from a club in the French league, to a club in the Argentine Primera Division as an example.

I dont see why any code should have exclusive use over the term football. Fact is there are a various types of football:-
American footy
Rugby league / union
Australian rules / football
Gaelic football

Im sure people could list more.

I think fans of any code who think there code deserves such exclusivity are narrow minded.

The biggest strength soccer has in this country is the socceroos, I am not sure how referring to it as football helps that branding.

For a paper that claims to be a Melbourne paper to call anything other than our own game "football" is just turning its back on this city. Football in this city is older that that grubby little rag and has been its bread and butter since the year dot.

Not sure if serious? All of our local commercial television stations say soccer, the print edition of The Advertiser says soccer, the local radio stations say soccer etc. The only services that say "football" instead of soccer are the national media outlets that are based in Sydney.
Don't really watch the local news, but I could of sworn that the Crowsvertiser called it football, not that I read it often because it's rubbish. I've heard it called football more often than not but that's probably because a lot of the people I'm friends with play the sport. I was just going by what it's called when I occasionally flick it onto watch Adelaide United or the Premier League, they refer to it on foxsports as football. It's a non event really if they want to call it football it's fine with me, just like we call our game football. No one has exclusive rights to the term.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back