The Hip Hop Thread - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

You saying this because he's fat and the constant food references in his songs point to him not dieting any time soon? Or am I missing something about him having a terminal illness?

he cancelled a show the other day for health reasons. i dont think he's actually gonna die soon, unless he ends up lookin like big pun.

he cancelled a show the other day for health reasons. i dont think he's actually gonna die soon, unless he ends up lookin like big pun.

Plenty of musicians cancel shows for health reasons, particularly vocalists when they have any kind of throat issue that can affect their vocals. I wouldn't say cancelling a show is a nail in the coffin of Action Bronson. That said, I don't think he'll live to be very old at his current rate. Just listening to his lyrics, he certainly enjoys the finer things in life.

MMLP2 was leaked a couple of days ago and the bonus tracks were leaked today. Listening to the album for the first time and scanning through all the tracks, I didn't really like the sound of it. But shit, I've been listening to it non-stop and all the songs have grown on me massively. Kills recovery and encore.

I'll rank them.

Bad guy: 8/10. Genius. What an opening. Re-does 'Stan' in the last verse.

Rhyme or Reason 7.5/10: He uses 'The Zombies - time of the season' as the instrumental and shit it goes hard. One of my favourite songs on the album thus far. Awesome flow, lyrics and wordplay.

So Much Better 8/10. Lyrically insane with an amazing flow. Kind of sounds like it would fit on The Eminem Show.

Survival 4/10 - Good flow, can't really take it seriously with the lyrics etc due to it being for COD.

Legacy 8.5/10 - WOW. Just wow. Real and Deep.

arseh*le 5.5/10 - Meh, average.

Berzerk 5/10 - Different, but not a fan.

Rap God 8/10 - Definitely one of the best songs on the album, a lyrical gem with wordplay from out of this world.

Brainless 8/10 - Hard as **** flow, dope as hell. Potentially one of the best songs on the album. I'd say lyrically good but I'm probably starting to sound like a broken record - they're all well done lyrically.

Stronger than I was 3/10 - Eminem singing for 4 minutes? Not for me. Kind of cliche and corny.

The Monster - 6/10 - Pretty good.

So Far... - 7/10 Good song. Flowing over a guitar matches well. Also very well done lyrically.

Love Game 4.5/10 - Very odd. Hopefully it will grow on me.

Headlights 8.5/10 - Goosebumps. A song where he passes on his apologies to his Mum. Truly touching and heartfelt, a big contrast from Cleanin' Out My Closet :D

Evil Twin - 9/10 - Just listen to it. ******* awesome.

Haven't heard enough of the bonus tracks to assess them.
Good assessment. The only song I can't really warm to is arseh*le. I think I'm the only one that likes Stronger Than I Was - I like hearing Em yelling, sounds genuinely angry in his "singing".

You're right, first time I listened I didn't like it but the more I got used to it I loved it.

Headlights - Wow.

Good assessment. The only song I can't really warm to is arseh*le. I think I'm the only one that likes Stronger Than I Was - I like hearing Em yelling, sounds genuinely angry in his "singing".

You're right, first time I listened I didn't like it but the more I got used to it I loved it.

Headlights - Wow.

Yeah, same with me. Then again, I've only played that song 3 times on my iTunes so hopefully it will grow on soon when I've listened to it more. Stronger than I was has also grown on me a fair bit, but still one of the weaker songs on the album.

Headlights is awesome. Hard to believe that he made the song "My Mom" only 4 yrs ago, where he went all out on his mum explaining how much of a sick drug abusing bitch she was - and then makes Headlights.

Yeah, same with me. Then again, I've only played that song 3 times on my iTunes so hopefully it will grow on soon when I've listened to it more. Stronger than I was has also grown on me a fair bit, but still one of the weaker songs on the album.

Headlights is awesome. Hard to believe that he made the song "My Mom" only 4 yrs ago, where he went all out on his mum explaining how much of a sick drug abusing bitch she was - and then makes Headlights.

You warmed to Love Game at all? I saw it getting some negative attention, probably because Kendrick is on it and people expected a raw lyrical track. I'm loving it, reminds me of the goofy sort of story telling in My Fault.

You warmed to Love Game at all? I saw it getting some negative attention, probably because Kendrick is on it and people expected a raw lyrical track. I'm loving it, reminds me of the goofy sort of story telling in My Fault.

It's starting to grow on me. At first listen I thought it was pathetic, but you're right it does have a bit of 'My Fault' to it, the lyrics are pretty funny too.

Nice sig btw, Horrorshow are so dope.

It's starting to grow on me. At first listen I thought it was pathetic, but you're right it does have a bit of 'My Fault' to it, the lyrics are pretty funny too.

Nice sig btw, Horrorshow are so dope.

Cool to see another Horrorshow fan on here, they're ****ing awesome. Poetry.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cool to see another Horrorshow fan on here, they're ******* awesome. Poetry.

Yeah, way underrated. In my opinion Solo is by far the realest, most poetic rapper on the Aussie landscape. Adits beats go so well with it. Perfection. Their new album is terrific as well. Ever seen them live? They go off.

Yeah, way underrated. In my opinion Solo is by far the realest, most poetic rapper on the Aussie landscape. Adits beats go so well with it. Perfection. Their new album is terrific as well. Ever seen them live? They go off.

Haven't had the privilege of seeing them live, but I'm with you on Solo and Adit. Their new album is completely dope.

I can't believe I have only just found this thread.

Does anybody on here listen to Vinnie Paz, Jedi Mind Tricks, Ill Bill Or Army Of The Pharoahs ???

Used to bump them heaps but kinda got over their style, it's just full on assault track after track. Vinnie P can be very political as well (kinda in the vein of Immortal Tech) and while I'm not completely against this a lot of it really grinds my gears.

Still, I thank AOTP for introducing me to the underground scene pretty much. Songs like Seven, Battle Cry, Listen Up, Bloody Tears, Heavenly Divine etc are great. Celph Titled can drop some ridiculous verses, saw him when he came to Melbourne and he was pretty good (Apathy not rocking up kinda ruined the show though).

A JMT song has one of my favourite verses ever, though it's actually by RA the Rugged Man:
(2nd verse)

Had first couple of listens to MMLP2.

The best to come out of it (Bad Guy, Headlights, Evil Twin) are his best work since the Eminem Show. Most of the rest though are fairly interchangeable with his last two, and I've not no love for those. I'd still probably come up somewhere in the middle those because Bad Guy etc are ****ing awesome.

A little disconcerting with the amount of pop singer choruses in there.

Cheers Dagless for sharing the Young Fathers... They've grown on me!

Love their style!

rvKFwxD.gif

monster is probably my favourite eminem pop song in a long time. Rhianna is (still) awful though.

i think jedi mind tricks are kind of a 'gateway drug' to underground rap music for a lot of people. not a big fan of vinnie paz but stoupe is one of my favourite producers ever. like quite a bit of aotp stuff as well. as mentioned above celph titled can be pretty awesome.

monster is probably my favourite eminem pop song in a long time. Rhianna is (still) awful though.

i think jedi mind tricks are kind of a 'gateway drug' to underground rap music for a lot of people. not a big fan of vinnie paz but stoupe is one of my favourite producers ever. like quite a bit of aotp stuff as well. as mentioned above celph titled can be pretty awesome.

I think that's a great way to describe JMT. At least, I remember that JMT and Immortal Technique were really the first underground rap artists I listened to several years ago, and doing so led me down a pathway to find a whole heap of other underground music.

I found that there were a lot of better acts out there than JMT and I started to tire of Vinnie's style after a while, especially with more recent stuff. Stoupe's a great producer, though.

Remove this Banner Ad

The Hip Hop Thread - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Back