NFL The Jay Cutler Soap Opera

Remove this Banner Ad

I guess this probably needs its own thread now with this going to be played out 24/7....

Two recent news items....

The Broncos reportedly want to meet with Jay Cutler "for a little sit down to mend fences" after Saturday's trade talks, but Cutler is refusing.
"They want me to come in and talk to 'em but I'm not doing it right now; I'm going to lay low," said Cutler. "[They] deny everything. That's a problem. We know for a fact they tried to trade me." We haven't seen a temper tantrum of this magnitude since Diana Ross was given a hotel room with the wrong color of wall paper back in 1978.

According to SI's Peter King, Jay Cutler had asked the Broncos to trade him after the team lost offensive coordinator Jim Bates to USC after the season.
Cutler wasn't happy about losing Bates or head coach Mike Shanahan, and he's not handling the recent trade talks well at all. It doesn't look like the Broncos are going to trade Cutler at this point, so, as King suggested, "maybe both sides need to get into marriage counseling."

If what Peter King says is true, then I don't get what Cutler is cut about.
Lost Bates/Shanahan, said "trade me", so they tried to, and then he has a bitch-fest about them trying to trade him.

Unless, what Peter King says is untrue, because Cutler seems to be going crazy in anger. Seemingly, then, he asked for a trade, they said no, we want you here, then they went and tried to trade him. That would maybe make sense.

Tho Cutler does seem the type to throw a prima donna tantrum over very little anyway, so it might've also been something like....trade me to a good team, ok we will, how about the Bucs, yes sounds good, but instead they're trying for Detroit instead.

All that kinda stuff, who knows. It'll come out 'soon enough'....ie, after ESPN and NFLN have flogged the story to death over the next 2 months (draft day April).

According to SI's Peter King, Jay Cutler had asked the Broncos to trade him after the team lost offensive coordinator Jim Bates to USC after the season.
Cutler wasn't happy about losing Bates or head coach Mike Shanahan, and he's not handling the recent trade talks well at all. It doesn't look like the Broncos are going to trade Cutler at this point, so, as King suggested, "maybe both sides need to get into marriage counseling."

This one is complete crap. Why would Cutler request a trade and then get so upset when his name came up in trade rumours? King has drawn a very long bow from Cutler practically begging Bowlen to keep Jeremy Bates.

Amongst all the Cutler spin I read somewhere (this is pure speculation just by a fan I think) that they had a conspiracy the Belichick-McDaniels relationship did not end well and Belichick has leaked the Cutler rumours out of spite. Of course there is no source to this as it is just speculation but I didn't instantly dismiss the idea.

Also, I think Cutler will still be a Bronco by the time all this is over, he has the support of the city behind him and shipping him out would destroy the franchise. I'm not entirely sure about McDaniels though; he's turned literally the whole fanbase against him. What's the record for the shortest head coaching stint? Its going to be interesting watching this one unfold anyway. My prediction is either this all gets sorted out and everyone will be happy again or McDaniels is fired midway through the season and Nolan takes over.

Also, I think Cutler will still be a Bronco by the time all this is over, he has the support of the city behind him and shipping him out would destroy the franchise. I'm not entirely sure about McDaniels though; he's turned literally the whole fanbase against him. What's the record for the shortest head coaching stint? Its going to be interesting watching this one unfold anyway. My prediction is either this all gets sorted out and everyone will be happy again or McDaniels is fired midway through the season and Nolan takes over.

It's lucky this whole saga is taking place well before the season has started, there's plenty of time for bridges to be mended. I'd say this can be put down to inexperience on three fronts here. Firstly, an inexperiened GM who I think is trying to big-note himself in the NFL arena and put his name in the headlights. Secondly, an inexperienced coach who doesn't fully understand the psyche of players. Thirdly, an inexperienced young QB who has never been put in, and doesn't understand how to handle situations such as these.

I think McDaniels is going to be fine, as long as he puts results on the board, which we won't know until around October/November this year....

What would it take for Denver to trade Cutler???

If Tampa offered two first round picks, would you consider it??

And have Darrell Hackney or Patrick Ramsey throwing the football? Don't think so, but that's just me. But the Denver front office obviously think differently to just about every single Bronco fan out there though....

What would it take for Denver to trade Cutler???

If Tampa offered two first round picks, would you consider it??

I doubt Cutler will be going anywhere now, as long as McDaniels and Xanders have learned their lesson.
There will be an uproar in Denver if he leaves.

Latest grabs...

Vikings beat reporter Judd Zulgad writes that he "would not be surprised" if Minnesota has already made an offer to the Broncos for Jay Cutler.
Zulgad admits that Minnesota's first-round pick (No. 22) would only be a "jumping off point" and Denver is not acting open to dealing Cutler at this time. But Zulgad has "little doubt" that the Vikings remain interested. Too bad the Vikings don't have a quarterback to offer.

ESPN's Michael Smith said on NFL Live Monday that he doesn't believe the possibility of Jay Cutler being traded is dead.
Quarterbacks as talented, young, and accurate as Cutler don't grow on trees, so it's still hard to imagine the Broncos trading him without a proven fallback plan. The only other QB on Denver's roster is Darrell Hackney. Denver is sure to get calls about Cutler around the draft, so perhaps GM Brian Xanders will revisit the idea then if he gets a big offer.

Here's a GG special for 09....

Broncos were happy to deal Cutler because McDaniels wanted Cassel, with whom he worked with. Cutler finds out and is pissed and wants out. Meanwhile, the Pioli-BB thing happens. So McDaniels is screwed between a rock and a hard place.

McDaniels happy to deal Cutler ONLY if he got Cassel. But otherwise, would want Cutler. But, with Cutler's stance on all this now. Broncos forced to trade him. But....they have no QB to come in. And no teams interested in trading for Cutler can offer the Broncos a QB back.

So where are the Broncos gonna find a QB from???

Enter stage right....Brett Favre!

Book it!

Hopefully BB has played a part in throwing a spanner in the works of all of this and Cutler does indeed leave the Broncos. Serves them right for beating up in the Divisional playoffs in 06 :cool:

Here's a GG special for 09....

Broncos were happy to deal Cutler because McDaniels wanted Cassel, with whom he worked with. Cutler finds out and is pissed and wants out. Meanwhile, the Pioli-BB thing happens. So McDaniels is screwed between a rock and a hard place.

McDaniels happy to deal Cutler ONLY if he got Cassel. But otherwise, would want Cutler. But, with Cutler's stance on all this now. Broncos forced to trade him. But....they have no QB to come in. And no teams interested in trading for Cutler can offer the Broncos a QB back.

So where are the Broncos gonna find a QB from???

Enter stage right....Brett Favre!

Book it!

I don't think they're that stupid.

There's actually a 'rumour' on profootballtalk suggesting a trade with the Browns. Cutler and a 3rd for Quinn and Rogers. Doesn't seem that far-fetched, but like Jem says I don't think he's going anywhere now....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Browns have the QBs to make a trade like that and not give up a bounty of picks.
But the Browns dont need to do that because they have two QBs already.
While Tampa and Minnesota really do need a QB, and probably would both give up two first rounders to acquire him (2009 and 2010).

The Browns have the QBs to make a trade like that and not give up a bounty of picks.
But the Browns dont need to do that because they have two QBs already.
While Tampa and Minnesota really do need a QB, and probably would both give up two first rounders to acquire him (2009 and 2010).
Tampa don't need another QB in the way come 2010 for JJ to trample ;)

Johnson is a long-term project. The Bucs, like everyone else, are out to win now. So Johnson will have to ride the pine for a few more years behind a vet QB. And if you were Bucs GM you'd jump at a bona fide franchise QB, someone who HAS made it in the NFL and is still young, rather than banking your own job, and the fortunes of a title shot, on a project. GMs/Coaches, they only have about 3 year windows to win before they get fired.

Plus Johnson was drafted very cheap minimum salary. It's not like drafting Russell #1 where you "have to" stick it out for 5+ years on them, put your balls on the block, having invested $30m guaranteed on them upfront.

Were the Broncos actively shopping Cutler or were they simply responding to enquiries from other teams? I'm hearing a few differing reports on this, one being that they simply were listening to an offer that the Bucs threw out there and others being that they were secretly telling all and sundry that their QB was available at the right price.

Either way, young Jay needs to HTFU and quit whining. Yeah he might feel slighted that they would think of trading him (shows a fair bit of self importance doesn't it?) but he needs to understand that football is a business just like any other and nobody is above being traded at the right price. Oh well, just gives me another reason to hate him :D

It shows how silly McDaniels is tho. To want to trade away a damned good proven QB, young and with a long future ahead, for a career back-up purely because he is comfortable working with him from a prior team.

Ie, kinda like Lane Kiffin say getting a HC job at Atlanta, and trading away Matt Ryan in order to bring Josh McCown over as starter due to working well with him in 2007.

I guess he will put it down to being a young and inexperienced head coach, a bit of a learning experience for him I suppose. And yes I would be mighty pissed if that scenario you put down happened but I actually think that Ryan probably would handle it a lot better. Cutler has a bit of a history of these hissy fit type outbursts...maybe its the diabetes affecting his brain!!

But c'mon GG, gimme my chance to hate on Jay a bit more. Punk :cool:

No question Cutler is a hissy girl. That has been well-established almost 24/7. I even like Phillip Rivers for giving it to him constantly, and getting under his skin. But you gotta say Cutler for Cassel is bone-headed. I'm enjoying this because I predicted this ages ago---that Pioli would be a gun at KC and KC would rise. While McDaniels would prove to be another BB Coaching tree failure. And he's proving it already before a game has even been played.

The latest as of this morning...

The Broncos confirmed that they reached out to Jay Cutler on Monday, but "both sides appear as far apart as ever."
"I do think...it was very poor on their part if in fact they were trying to trade Jay," Cutler's agent said. "Jay was getting in the groove out there in Denver." The agent added that he never heard his client requested a trade after Mike Shanahan was fired, as SI's Peter King reported. It will be interesting to see if Cutler shows up to the offseason program on March 16.

There is a bit of a rumour going around that there may be a trade between the Broncos and the Browns; Cutler and a 3rd rounder for Quinn and Rogers.

I would still be upset if this happened but I wouldn't slip into depression like I would for some of the other rumours floating around.

I'd hate that trade. Cutler seems like a whiney bitch, good QB, but a whiney bitch none the less. Browns are trying to get rid of those type of people not bring them in.

On the other hand, it wouldn't suprise me if we ended up trading Quinn, Rogers and Edwards. SR and BE will probably go at the end of next season anyway so why not get something for them now. I've never heard Mangini come out and say anything about Quinns role next season so I guess he could go also.

There is a bit of a rumour going around that there may be a trade between the Broncos and the Browns; Cutler and a 3rd rounder for Quinn and Rogers.

I would still be upset if this happened but I wouldn't slip into depression like I would for some of the other rumours floating around.

There's plenty of speculation going around - Chicago, Minnesota, the Jets, Tampa Bay, and the Browns - I reckon it'll all come to nothing and Cutler will stay with the Broncs.

Cutler to the Vikings would be very nice though......

Schefter has just reported on nfl.com that Cutler will indeed, not be going anywhere....

Adam Schefter
McDaniels: Cutler will not be traded by Broncos

Since word broke Saturday that Jay Cutler’s name had come up in trade discussions, rumors have run rampant.
There has been speculation that Cutler could be traded to the Vikings, the Browns, the Buccaneers, the Jets — basically any team with a need at quarterback. But new Broncos coach Josh McDaniels spoke out Tuesday afternoon and attempted to squash any and all existing speculation.
“Let me be as clear as I can about this,” McDaniels said when reached at his office Tuesday afternoon. “We are not trading Jay Cutler — period.”
Let those words ring around the NFL, the Internet, the blogosphere, sports-talk radio. No matter how much trade talk there is regarding Cutler, it is not originating from Denver and, to the disappointment of many, it is not happening. In fact, further proof that Denver fully intends to keep Cutler is evidenced in its action. McDaniels and Cutler are scheduled to meet next week.

As most people know, Schefter is bang on when it comes to news about Denver so hopefully this is the end of it....

Remove this Banner Ad

NFL The Jay Cutler Soap Opera

Remove this Banner Ad

Back